Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: DesktopX, Windows Blinds Froze XP

Re: DesktopX, Windows Blinds Froze XP

D. Spencer Hines

Install Third-Party Rinky-Dink tweaks and "enhancements" and pay the price
of frequent incompatibility with XP and non-functioning computers.

Why should Microsoft design the OS so all these little fly-by-night
companies can get a free ride and be a parasite on the Operating System --
ripping off potential profits for MS as well as ham-stringing the OS with
shabby, shoddy code?

I LOVE to see it when these pogues get hoisted with their own petards and
wind up with BSOD or frozen screens.

The Wages Of Sin & Arrant Foolishness...

PUT the New Features IN the OS.

Further:

If you screwed the pooch and went ahead and put one of these Third Party
timebombs on your system -- DON'T come crying to Microsoft. GO to the site
of the people who sold you the software and get THEM to tell you what's
WRONG.

Heh, Heh -- Fat Chance Of That. They don't want to get into the Technical
Support Business. FAR too expensive -- and 'twould cut into those
fly-by-night profits they hope to rip off -- as Freeriders on Microsoft
software.

"im [sic] a chef not a coder." [See Below]

Hilarious!

'Nuff Said.

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"brand dub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>I installed Windows Blinds premium not knowing the features were locked
> although it practically mirrors the free version. Anyway after trying to
> apply a theme and the program froze I uninstalled it and apllied the free
> version and when I applied a theme Winblinds froze again . I unloaded the
> theme and reapplied a windowsXP native theme but after Restart It took 15
> minutes for logon. Icons, taskbar and windows remain frozen, active X and
> soundcard are disabled.
>
> I uninstalled the app and did a system restore (resulted as "incomplete"
> past the date I deleted the program).

> Im at a loss. this site helps explain how it works but im a chef not a
> coder [sic]

Sebastian Gottschalk

D. Spencer Hines wrote:
> Install Third-Party Rinky-Dink tweaks and "enhancements" and pay the price
> of frequent incompatibility with XP and non-functioning computers.
>
> Why should Microsoft design the OS so all these little fly-by-night
> companies can get a free ride and be a parasite on the Operating System --
> ripping off potential profits for MS as well as ham-stringing the OS with
> shabby, shoddy code?

You can't. Just don't follow the default settings and use a restricted
account instead of full admin righs. Then you can't harm neither the
system nor other user profiles.

> I LOVE to see it when these pogues get hoisted with their own petards and
> wind up with BSOD or frozen screens.

The only reasons of BSODs I've seen on my machines were the very same as
for kernel panic: hardware failures and, on test machines only, testing
of self-written kernel-mode drivers.

> If you screwed the pooch and went ahead and put one of these Third Party
> timebombs on your system -- DON'T come crying to Microsoft. GO to the site
> of the people who sold you the software and get THEM to tell you what's
> WRONG.

Window Blinds runs pretty fine with restricted user rights, so there's
no need to **** up the system whatsoever. But if the users are running
everything with default admin rights, it's no way different from ****ing
up the system with doing a read-mail-really-fast while being logged in
as root (or any other user with UID 0 or rm being suid).

Vertical Blinds - Extra Vanes Bucky Breeder Computer Support 3 01-21-2010 09:17 PM
windows blinds lled Python 1 03-15-2007 03:41 AM
Re: DesktopX, Windows Blinds Froze XP D. Spencer Hines Computer Security 2 02-27-2006 09:19 AM
Computer Froze Up Just Me Computer Support 8 06-25-2004 04:05 PM
Sony offers Compact Flash -- HELL JUST FROZE OVER! Todd Walker Digital Photography 71 08-23-2003 01:32 AM

Advertisments