Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > FTP client with file encryption for remote backup?

FTP client with file encryption for remote backup?

Tom

Hi,

I would like to use my ISP's FTP server for backing up my personal files
from my desktop. I was wondering if there is a tool available (open
source/freeware if possible) that can automatically encrypt files while
transfering them to a remote FTP server, so that the files on the remote
server cannot be used by the ISP.

Thanks,
Tom

Todd H.

"Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use my ISP's FTP server for backing up my personal files
> from my desktop. I was wondering if there is a tool available (open
> source/freeware if possible) that can automatically encrypt files while
> transfering them to a remote FTP server, so that the files on the remote
> server cannot be used by the ISP.

File encryption is what you need. Transport level encryption is moot
if the goal is to protect admins of the remote machine from doing
anything with them:

On *nix, or using cygwin in windows (include gpg in what gets installed):

tar cvfz somfile.tgz /path/to/backup
gpg -c somefile.tgz > somefile.tgz.gpg (symmetric key option used for simplicity)
ftp or scp somefile.tgz.gpg to the ISP

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

~David~

The best that I've come across is FileZilla, found at
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/. It's free and open-source, and can do ftp,
and sftp, which is ran over an ssh server. FTP is not encrypted, so the easiest
way for security in most cases is to make sure your ISP has an ssh server set up
so you can use sftp (usually you log in with your normal user/pass). FileZilla
will let you set up a profile for this, making it a pretty good tool, IMHO.

~David~

Tom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use my ISP's FTP server for backing up my personal files
> from my desktop. I was wondering if there is a tool available (open
> source/freeware if possible) that can automatically encrypt files while
> transfering them to a remote FTP server, so that the files on the remote
> server cannot be used by the ISP.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Todd H.

~David~ <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Tom wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to use my ISP's FTP server for backing up my personal files
> > from my desktop. I was wondering if there is a tool available (open
> > source/freeware if possible) that can automatically encrypt files while
> > transfering them to a remote FTP server, so that the files on the remote
> > server cannot be used by the ISP.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tom

> The best that I've come across is FileZilla, found at
> http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/. It's free and open-source, and can do ftp,
> and sftp, which is ran over an ssh server. FTP is not encrypted, so the easiest
> way for security in most cases is to make sure your ISP has an ssh server set up
> so you can use sftp (usually you log in with your normal user/pass). FileZilla
> will let you set up a profile for this, making it a pretty good
> tool, IMHO.

Actually, the original question is more interesting than the
relatively simple question of encrypted transport.

What Tom wants is something that will automagiclaly encrypt the files
on the fly, and leave them in encrypted form on the target server.
The concern is not so much one of securing them from being sniffed in
transit in the clear, but rather to prevent admins of the target
server from being able to do anything useful with his data that he
stores there.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

D. Spencer Hines

Why would his ISP want to allow him to do this?

Encrypted files on their server -- over which they have no access?

Bonkers...

DSH

"Todd H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ~David~ <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Tom wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I would like to use my ISP's FTP server for backing up my personal
>> > files
>> > from my desktop. I was wondering if there is a tool available (open
>> > source/freeware if possible) that can automatically encrypt files while
>> > transfering them to a remote FTP server, so that the files on the
>> > remote
>> > server cannot be used by the ISP.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Tom

>> The best that I've come across is FileZilla, found at
>> http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/. It's free and open-source, and can do
>> ftp,
>> and sftp, which is ran over an ssh server. FTP is not encrypted, so the
>> easiest
>> way for security in most cases is to make sure your ISP has an ssh server
>> set up
>> so you can use sftp (usually you log in with your normal user/pass).
>> FileZilla
>> will let you set up a profile for this, making it a pretty good
>> tool, IMHO.

> Actually, the original question is more interesting than the
> relatively simple question of encrypted transport.
>
> What Tom wants is something that will automagiclaly encrypt the files
> on the fly, and leave them in encrypted form on the target server.
> The concern is not so much one of securing them from being sniffed in
> transit in the clear, but rather to prevent admins of the target
> server from being able to do anything useful with his data that he
> stores there.
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Todd H.
> http://www.toddh.net/

nemo_outis

"D. Spencer Hines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:OipKf.76$(E-Mail Removed):

> Why would his ISP want to allow him to do this?
>
> Encrypted files on their server -- over which they have no access?
>
> Bonkers...
>
> DSH

There are dozens of such services, including Rapidshare and Megaupload. I
have uploaded and downloaded literally gigabytes of files to/from such
places.

Regards,

PS The interface is usually HTTP rather than FTP though

Todd H.

"D. Spencer Hines" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Why would his ISP want to allow him to do this?
>
> Encrypted files on their server -- over which they have no access?

Not "no access." Instead, "No useful access." Sure the file's
readable to the ISP administrator as root, but it's an encrypted mess
from which no useful information can be extracted except by the file's
rightful owner/creator who knows the encryption token (be it password,
or private key, whatever).

> Bonkers...

Um....no, it's called privacy.

If you want to store an encrypted file on an ISP's servers that
includes backups of your financial software data, encrypted password
hashes for all customers to your web application, etc there's no
(legitimate) reason in the world an ISP shouldn't let you.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Borked Pseudo Mailed

D. Spencer Hines wrote:

> Why would his ISP want to allow him to do this?
>
> Encrypted files on their server -- over which they have no access?

Why would an ISP think they had any say so in the matter, as long as the
OP remained within his contractually agreed upon space allocation limits.

I find it a little disconcerting that you'd assume someone was guilty
until proved innocent, or that an ISP had the right to make that
determination. Last I knew, possession of encrypted data wasn't a crime in
any civilized jurisdiction.

> Bonkers...

A lot of people might say that of YOUR argument.

D. Spencer Hines

Arrant Twaddle...

Great Way For Terrorists To File Data And Plans -- Encrypted -- For Pickup
By Confederates -- On An ISP FTP Server.

Don't You Pogues Realize We Are At War?

Damned, If You Aren't Gullible, Naive Children!

Now, Go Stand In The Dunces' Corner -- With Your Faces To The Wall.

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Veni, Vidi, Calcitravi Asinum

Todd H.

"D. Spencer Hines" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Arrant Twaddle...
>
> Great Way For Terrorists To File Data And Plans -- Encrypted -- For Pickup
> By Confederates -- On An ISP FTP Server.
>
> Don't You Pogues Realize We Are At War?
>
> Damned, If You Aren't Gullible, Naive Children!
>
> Now, Go Stand In The Dunces' Corner -- With Your Faces To The Wall.
>
> DSH

You're either a troll, being facetious, or a complete imbecile.
Please indicate which.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/