Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Symantec vs. McAfee

Symantec vs. McAfee

D. Spencer Hines

Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?

Thank you.

DSH

ArtDent

On 17-Feb-2006, "D. Spencer Hines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?

According to www.windowssecrets.com , the current best of the crop is
ZoneAlarm's suite (as rated by several computer magazines)
If you insist on choosing between Symantec and McAfee, then it is up to
you which _you_ like better. (looks, ease of use, etc.)

> Thank you.

You are welcome.
--
We apologize for the inconvenience

gilly

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:55:59 +0000, D. Spencer Hines wrote:

> Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
>
> Thank you.
>
> DSH

Linux of course

Notan

"D. Spencer Hines" wrote:

> Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
>
> Thank you.

With all seriousness, you can expect a plethora of "buy something else"
comments, and for good reason.

The two "biggies" have become system resource hogs, which are extremely
difficult to remove when (not "if") you choose to.

Notan

braveheart

"D. Spencer Hines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b%oJf.135$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
>
> Thank you.
>
> DSH

Symantec might give you the better protection, but it's a pain to get out
when you want to uninstall, if you use any of it don't install the go back
product some of the symantic suites offer.

Regards

Kerodo

In article <b%oJf.135$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
>
> Thank you.
>
> DSH

I'd avoid Norton at all costs if possible. Anything else is better. ZA
Suite or BitDefender Suite are my favorites. Reason to avoid Norton?
Bloat and too invasive, hard to remove, etc etc.

--
Kerodo

D. Spencer Hines

"don't install the go back product some of the Symantec suites offer."

I may already have it installed.

How can I tell?

Regards,

DSH

"braveheart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43f66124$0$8056$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> "D. Spencer Hines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:b%oJf.135$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> DSH

> Symantec might give you the better protection, but it's a pain to get out
> when you want to uninstall, if you use any of it don't install the go back
> product some of the symantic suites offer.
>
> Regards

D. Spencer Hines

Well, fair enough.

I'm listening.

There seem to be a lot of smart, well-informed people here.

I currently do have the Norton Internet Security Suite 2005 installed -- but
if there is a better way...I'm interested.

DSH

"Notan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
>>
>> Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
>>
>> Thank you.

> With all seriousness, you can expect a plethora of "buy something else"
> comments, and for good reason.
>
> The two "biggies" have become system resource hogs, which are extremely
> difficult to remove when (not "if") you choose to.
>
> Notan

Kerodo

In article <FLtJf.152$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Well, fair enough.
>
> I'm listening.
>
> There seem to be a lot of smart, well-informed people here.
>
> I currently do have the Norton Internet Security Suite 2005 installed -- but
> if there is a better way...I'm interested.

If you already have NIS installed, then I'd just leave it and continue
to use it. I have heard stories of people uninstalling it and breaking
their system, internet connection, etc etc. I know I once had a heck of
a time removing Norton AV 2005. I wound up just reformatting. NAV and
NIS make about 5000 registry entries when you install them, and it seems
like a lot of stuff gets left behind when you attempt to uninstall. In
fact, I think there is a program out there somewhere specifically for
this, it tries to fully remove Norton products.

Anyway, if you already have it on there, I'd just leave it and update
your subscription. Else be prepared for the (possible) worst..
reformatting..

--
Kerodo

D. Spencer Hines

Hmmmmmmm...

Well that certainly sounds sensible.

I've been using Norton since 1991 or so -- but it is quirky.

I just discovered another trick today to make it comply with what I want it
to do.

DSH

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..