Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Deep Freeze; looking for something similar

Deep Freeze; looking for something similar

socalmk@gmail.com

I was looking into purchasing a copy of Faronic's Deep Freeze, but
learned of two important facts.

1) There is a program called Deep Freeze Unfreezer that defeats Deep
Freeze
2) Deep Freeze only freezes at the partition level and cannot freeze
individual folders

Does anyone know of a different program that can freeze individual
folders and not the entire partition. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

JDL

> Does anyone know of a different program that can freeze individual
> folders and not the entire partition.

Zip the folder to "freeze" it. When wanting to "restore" it later, delete it and unzip it again.

socalmk@gmail.com

I appreciate your suggestion, but perhaps I should've been more
detailed in my query. I also need to prevent the deletion of whatever
folder it is that I am "freezing." I installed a security monitoring
program on my employees' computers to track how they are spending their
time on the internet. Unfortunately, they have found a way to bypass
or delete the program. I imagine that there is no such program out
there that is fail safe in this regard. No matter how good the
program, someone will probably find a way around it. So what I am
looking to do is to "freeze" the folder that it is installed to so that
no matter what they do it'll come back upon reboot. Any further help
you or anyone else might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

donnie

On 16 Feb 2006 16:03:05 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I appreciate your suggestion, but perhaps I should've been more
>detailed in my query. I also need to prevent the deletion of whatever
>folder it is that I am "freezing." I installed a security monitoring
>program on my employees' computers to track how they are spending their
>time on the internet. Unfortunately, they have found a way to bypass
>or delete the program. I imagine that there is no such program out
>there that is fail safe in this regard. No matter how good the
>program, someone will probably find a way around it. So what I am
>looking to do is to "freeze" the folder that it is installed to so that
>no matter what they do it'll come back upon reboot. Any further help
>you or anyone else might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Someone in the forum at minasi.com recommened spector pro as a good
monitoring progam. I can't say if it's good or not.
What about the attrib +h command? Wouldn't that hide the program?
What program did you use and why were they able to see it?
Besided all that, is it really necessary to monitor the workers? If
you have a good crew, give them a break.

ruso.tandil@gmail.com

Hello Soca....maybe this can help you......there is a program called
"Clean Slate" (http://www.fortresgrand.com/) that will do the job
you're looking for...

Russo