Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > mystery files

mystery files

Mat

Greetings

Wonder if anyone can help me out with thoughts on the following. Every time
I run Norton System Works 'Cleanup' on my XP machine I get told that there
are three temporary files that can't be removed.

Two of them are in the C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp
directory and are executables called 'closedbgout.exe' and
'enableirsocketutil.exe'.

The third one is in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and called 'ZLT04aac.tmp'.

I can't find anything through Google to suggest what these files are or if
it's safe to remove them.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Nick Skrepetos

Mat wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Wonder if anyone can help me out with thoughts on the following. Every time
> I run Norton System Works 'Cleanup' on my XP machine I get told that there
> are three temporary files that can't be removed.
>
> Two of them are in the C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp
> directory and are executables called 'closedbgout.exe' and
> 'enableirsocketutil.exe'.
>
> The third one is in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and called 'ZLT04aac.tmp'.
>
> I can't find anything through Google to suggest what these files are or if
> it's safe to remove them.
>
> Any information greatly appreciated.
>
> Many thanks.

Mat,

If you would like to e-mail those files to me at
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) I will be happy to analyze them for you and
let you know what they are.

Nick Skrepetos
SuperAdBlocker.com | SUPERAntiSpyware
http://www.superadblocker.com

Andy Walker

Mat wrote:

>Greetings
>
>Wonder if anyone can help me out with thoughts on the following. Every time
>I run Norton System Works 'Cleanup' on my XP machine I get told that there
>are three temporary files that can't be removed.
>
>Two of them are in the C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp
>directory and are executables called 'closedbgout.exe' and
>'enableirsocketutil.exe'.
>
>The third one is in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and called 'ZLT04aac.tmp'.
>
>I can't find anything through Google to suggest what these files are or if
>it's safe to remove them.
>
>Any information greatly appreciated.
>
>Many thanks.

If they're in the "temp" directory then they "should" be able to be
deleted. Try renaming the files and see if anything quits working, if
something does then reinstall the software for it (don't install
directly from an archive file like zip or gz - copy the instal files
out of the archive first.) If you can't delete the files normally,
then I would use CrapCleaner to remove them. http://www.ccleaner.com/

donnie

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:15:57 -0000, "Mat"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greetings
>
>Wonder if anyone can help me out with thoughts on the following. Every time
>I run Norton System Works 'Cleanup' on my XP machine I get told that there
>are three temporary files that can't be removed.
>
>Two of them are in the C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp
>directory and are executables called 'closedbgout.exe' and
>'enableirsocketutil.exe'.
>
>The third one is in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and called 'ZLT04aac.tmp'.
>
>I can't find anything through Google to suggest what these files are or if
>it's safe to remove them.
>
>Any information greatly appreciated.
>
>Many thanks.

######################################
Open the task manager and see if those executables are running under
processes. Then run msconfig and see if they are in the startup.
Also, search the registry.
Run netstat -an
look for any unwanted connections (foreign address column)

James E. Morrow

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> Mat wrote:
>
> >Greetings
> >
> >Wonder if anyone can help me out with thoughts on the following. Every time
> >I run Norton System Works 'Cleanup' on my XP machine I get told that there
> >are three temporary files that can't be removed.
> >
> >Two of them are in the C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp
> >directory and are executables called 'closedbgout.exe' and
> >'enableirsocketutil.exe'.
> >
> >The third one is in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and called 'ZLT04aac.tmp'.
> >
> >I can't find anything through Google to suggest what these files are or if
> >it's safe to remove them.
> >
> >Any information greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Many thanks.

> If they're in the "temp" directory then they "should" be able to be
> deleted. Try renaming the files and see if anything quits working, if
> something does then reinstall the software for it (don't install
> directly from an archive file like zip or gz - copy the instal files
> out of the archive first.) If you can't delete the files normally,
> then I would use CrapCleaner to remove them. http://www.ccleaner.com/

First reboot the computer, then try to delete the files. If that fails
go to Safe Mode and try again to delete. In addition CCleaner mentioned
above is a great program to have. And yes the full name is Computer
Crap Cleaner.

http://www.ccleaner.com/
--
James E. Morrow
Email to: (E-Mail Removed)

Stephen Howe

> Any information greatly appreciated.

Mat the easiest thing is to upload the files to VirusTotal:
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html

Last thing I remember a total of 22 Malware detectors is run on your file
(Ewido, Kaspersky, McAfees, Panda, Sophos, Symantec etc) and a report is
displayed. If any of those files are Malware, something should register on
one of these.

Stephen Howe

milou

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greetings
>
>Wonder if anyone can help me out with thoughts on the following. Every time
>I run Norton System Works 'Cleanup' on my XP machine I get told that there
>are three temporary files that can't be removed.
>
>Two of them are in the C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp
>directory and are executables called 'closedbgout.exe' and
>'enableirsocketutil.exe'.
>
>The third one is in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and called 'ZLT04aac.tmp'.
>
>I can't find anything through Google to suggest what these files are or if
>it's safe to remove them.

ZLxxxxx files are Zone Alarm temporary files.
You cannot delete them when Zone Alarm is running.

Mystery ISP Files lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz NZ Computing 3 12-21-2007 10:55 AM
wifi mystery Txl Wireless Networking 4 03-25-2005 06:28 PM
Mystery files in Recycle Bin Terry Pinnell Computer Support 4 03-07-2005 08:01 AM
Mystery with Files with loop Rob L Perl Misc 2 08-27-2004 09:52 AM
Inline code in header files - learned my lesson, but one mystery remains S Austin C++ 1 01-29-2004 08:30 PM

Advertisments