Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Fireproof / Waterproof chest suggestions

Fireproof / Waterproof chest suggestions

Midnight Moocher

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep my
Backup DVDs.

I've looked at the following, but it says not suitable for plastic media:
http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...ts_id/39#specs

Does anyone here know where I can find something suitable?

A little over my budget, this one is suitable for plastic media, but I'm not
sure if it's waterproof:
http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...oducts_id/3876

Thanks,
Midnight

Notan

Midnight Moocher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep my
> Backup DVDs.
>
> I've looked at the following, but it says not suitable for plastic media:
> http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...ts_id/39#specs
>
> Does anyone here know where I can find something suitable?
>
> A little over my budget, this one is suitable for plastic media, but I'm not
> sure if it's waterproof:
> http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...oducts_id/3876

Not sure what you mean by "waterproof."

Do you want to be able to submerge it, or just be resistant to sprays of water?

Notan

Juergen Nieveler

Notan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep
>> my Backup DVDs.

> Not sure what you mean by "waterproof."
>
> Do you want to be able to submerge it, or just be resistant to sprays
> of water?

And even then - would it actually be a problem if a DVD got wet? It's
plastic, after all...

Personally, I've chosen a different approach to the whole problem. I
pack my backups into encrypted volumes on DVD-R and store 1-2
generations of them at my workplace. It would have to be a fscking big
meteorite that could blow up both my house AND my workplace,
considering that they are 15 miles apart and with a hill between them

Juergen Nieveler
--
"The senator has got to understand if he's going to have he can't have it
both ways. He can't take the high horse and then claim the low road."

Gerard Bok

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:05:18 GMT, "Midnight Moocher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep my
>Backup DVDs.
>
>I've looked at the following, but it says not suitable for plastic media:
>http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...ts_id/39#specs

It says: document box. You'll need a 'media box'.

The difference is two fold: temperature and steam.
Paper withstands some 150 degrees centigrade before burn damage
(singe) occurs. Media can be damaged by temperatures as low as 70
degrees centigrade.

The second hazard is steam. If there is a fire, someone is likely
to end it. Usually water is involved, which produces steam.
Paper is hardly damaged by steam, media are ruined by it.
That's why 'water tight' is so important.
Datasafes often use some kind of special filling tape in the
joints.
If the temperature is high enough this material changes into a
foam that forms a steam-tight seal.

>Does anyone here know where I can find something suitable?

Ask for a 'datasafe' or 'mediasafe'

>A little over my budget, this one is suitable for plastic media, but I'm not
>sure if it's waterproof:
>http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...oducts_id/3876

Looks better, even without a picture

As to your budget: how much do you have available for data
recovery ? How much data recovery does your insurance cover ?

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Ron Lopshire

Midnight Moocher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep my
> Backup DVDs.
>
> I've looked at the following, but it says not suitable for plastic media:
> http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...ts_id/39#specs
>
> Does anyone here know where I can find something suitable?
>
> A little over my budget, this one is suitable for plastic media, but I'm not
> sure if it's waterproof:
> http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...oducts_id/3876

I would start by looking at a Safe Deposit Box at a convenient branch
office of your bank.

1) Cost per year?
2) Media safe?
3) Off site (yours) which is good.
4) Convenient location? If not, you will put off using it when you should.
5) Convenient hours of operation? If not, same as 4.
6) And, of course, useful for many other valuables and documents.

Once you investigate this option, you can weigh the benefits of all
other options against it. Just my 0.02.

Ron

Midnight Moocher

LOL.

My place of work is only 1.5 miles so the meteorite could be significantly
smaller to foil me.

"Juergen Nieveler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Notan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep
>>> my Backup DVDs.

>> Not sure what you mean by "waterproof."
>>
>> Do you want to be able to submerge it, or just be resistant to sprays
>> of water?

> And even then - would it actually be a problem if a DVD got wet? It's
> plastic, after all...
>
> Personally, I've chosen a different approach to the whole problem. I
> pack my backups into encrypted volumes on DVD-R and store 1-2
> generations of them at my workplace. It would have to be a fscking big
> meteorite that could blow up both my house AND my workplace,
> considering that they are 15 miles apart and with a hill between them
>

> Juergen Nieveler
> --
> "The senator has got to understand if he's going to have he can't have it
> both ways. He can't take the high horse and then claim the low road."
> George W. Bush, Feb. 17, 2000

Midnight Moocher

Many thanks to the responses so far. All very helpful.

Midnight

"Midnight Moocher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2wFHf.14328$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep my
> Backup DVDs.
>
> I've looked at the following, but it says not suitable for plastic media:
> http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...ts_id/39#specs
>
> Does anyone here know where I can find something suitable?
>
> A little over my budget, this one is suitable for plastic media, but I'm
> not sure if it's waterproof:
> http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...oducts_id/3876
>

> Thanks,
> Midnight

Vanguard

"Midnight Moocher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hlKHf.41653$(E-Mail Removed)...
> LOL.
>
> My place of work is only 1.5 miles so the meteorite could be significantly
> smaller to foil me.

But then you won't be around to care.

traveler 66

"Gerard Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:05:18 GMT, "Midnight Moocher"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I'm looking to buy an all in one fireproof / waterproof chest to keep my
> >Backup DVDs.
> >
> >I've looked at the following, but it says not suitable for plastic media:
> >http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...ts_id/39#specs

> It says: document box. You'll need a 'media box'.
>
> The difference is two fold: temperature and steam.
> Paper withstands some 150 degrees centigrade before burn damage
> (singe) occurs. Media can be damaged by temperatures as low as 70
> degrees centigrade.

Excellent point, a while ago I saw a good sized box at Walmart for around
$60-70, it would probably suit all your needs (if all the stores have them),
but check out what temp it's rated for.

> The second hazard is steam. If there is a fire, someone is likely
> to end it. Usually water is involved, which produces steam.
> Paper is hardly damaged by steam, media are ruined by it.
> That's why 'water tight' is so important.
> Datasafes often use some kind of special filling tape in the
> joints.
> If the temperature is high enough this material changes into a
> foam that forms a steam-tight seal.
>
> >Does anyone here know where I can find something suitable?

> Ask for a 'datasafe' or 'mediasafe'
>
> >A little over my budget, this one is suitable for plastic media, but I'm

not
> >sure if it's waterproof:
> >http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...oducts_id/3876

> Looks better, even without a picture
>
> As to your budget: how much do you have available for data
> recovery ? How much data recovery does your insurance cover ?
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Gerard Bok

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

"Midnight Moocher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:0tKHf.6158$(E-Mail Removed):

> but I'm
>> not sure if it's waterproof:
>> http://www.safeoptions.co.uk/sotn/dp...oducts_id/3876

The blurb states:
"Airtight keeping smoke and gases out"

Wouldn't that imply watertight, to some degree at least?