Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > skype

skype

renua

can someone tell me how skype works? because they claim that the skype
works in the decentralized way. peer to peer . does that mean it
doesn't need a centre dedecated sever to authenticate accounts. if
not ? then who is in charger of the authentication.? and where is the
password and account information stored?

nemo_outis

"renua" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1138854751.560878.144570
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> can someone tell me how skype works? because they claim that the skype
> works in the decentralized way. peer to peer . does that mean it
> doesn't need a centre dedecated sever to authenticate accounts. if
> not ? then who is in charger of the authentication.? and where is the
> password and account information stored?

See:

An Analysis of the Skype Peer-to-Peer Internet Telephony Protocol
http://arxiv.org/ftp/cs/papers/0412/0412017.pdf

and, while not at arm's length:

Skype Security Evaluation
http://www.skype.com/security/files/...evaluation.pdf

Regards,

Donnie

"renua" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> can someone tell me how skype works? because they claim that the skype
> works in the decentralized way. peer to peer . does that mean it
> doesn't need a centre dedecated sever to authenticate accounts. if
> not ? then who is in charger of the authentication.? and where is the
> password and account information stored?

At lot of users in
#w0kie
irc.dishnuts.net
use it. They can tell you everything you need to know.
donnie.