Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Backup

Backup

Luigi Donatello Asero

Which software would you recommend for backup and why?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...ersattning.php

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:KYZDf.43631$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which software would you recommend for backup and why?

Does any of you have tested
Symantec Norton Ghost 10.0
Symantec Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier
Symantec Backup Exec 10d
and
Symantec LiveState Recovery
?
Were you satisfied?
Which are the main differences among these softwares?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...ersattning.php
Сегодня среда 1 феврапъ 2006
Tänään on keskiviikko, 26. helmikuu 2006
今天二零零*年二月一日
星期三

Jim Watt

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 08:04:58 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Which software would you recommend for backup and why?

any, because its necessary.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 08:04:58 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Which software would you recommend for backup and why?

> any, because its necessary.

Fine, but what are the main differences among these 4 alternatives?
Do they have any e-mail adress I can write to for this kind of questions?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:rB%Df.43651$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 08:04:58 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Which software would you recommend for backup and why?

> > any, because its necessary.

> Fine, but what are the main differences among these 4 alternatives?
> Do they have any e-mail adress I can write to for this kind of questions?

I mean, does Symantec have an e-mailadress I can write to for this kind of
questions?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php
Write for peace in peace

Gerard Bok

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:02:08 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
>news:rB%Df.43651$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> skrev i meddelandet
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > any, because its necessary.

>> Fine, but what are the main differences among these 4 alternatives?
>> Do they have any e-mail adress I can write to for this kind of questions?

>I mean, does Symantec have an e-mailadress I can write to for this kind of
>questions?

Yes, they have. And they charge it to you as an 'incident'.
Expect around 30 euro ex tax. (Some US $ 35)
And if you allow me to make a --free-- prediction: they will tell
you that their product performs best

As to your original question: There just is no black and white
answer.
If you quickly need to restore a disk full of data unto the same
system, an image (Ghost, Acronis True Image) is by far the most
comfortable way to go.
If you want to retreive just some files, a normal backup will be
easier.

Rule #1: any backup is better than no backup

Rule #2: think, what you want to be protected from.
Accidental delete? Virus that encrypts/wipes your personal files?
Theft of the entire PC ? Fire ? Hardware malfunction ? etc.

Rule #3: determine your goal.
Retreive all data, no matter how ? Continue your business
operation with minimal disruption ? Provide audit data for future
use ?etc.

Please note: rule #1 is both solid and complete, the others are
just a minor part of the full story

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Gerard Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:02:08 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >I mean, does Symantec have an e-mailadress I can write to for this kind

of
> >questions?

> Yes, they have. And they charge it to you as an 'incident'.
> Expect around 30 euro ex tax. (Some US $ 35)

Do you mean that they charge a customer to give information about a product
which one might want to buy?

> And if you allow me to make a --free-- prediction: they will tell
> you that their product performs best

I can imagine that.

> As to your original question: There just is no black and white
> answer.
> If you quickly need to restore a disk full of data unto the same
> system, an image (Ghost, Acronis True Image) is by far the most
> comfortable way to go.

I need backup for several things, website files and
book-keeping software for example.
I want to backup data into CDs

> If you want to retreive just some files, a normal backup will be
> easier.
>
> Rule #1: any backup is better than no backup

I agree
> Rule #2: think, what you want to be protected from.
> Accidental delete? Virus that encrypts/wipes your personal files?
> Theft of the entire PC ? Fire ? Hardware malfunction ? etc.

See above. I would like to backup data into several CDs

> Rule #3: determine your goal.
> Retreive all data, no matter how ? Continue your business
> operation with minimal disruption ? Provide audit data for future
> use ?etc.

Continue my business operation with minimal disruption and backup data in a
safe way

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...n-sovrum-1.php
Сегодня среда 1 феврапъ 2006
Tänään on keskiviikko, 26. helmikuu 2006
今天二零零*年二月一日
星期三

Zilbandy

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Which software would you recommend for backup and why?

Acronis True Image, because it works and images stored on removable
usb drives can be restored by just booting from a rescue cd. No need
to load Windows to recover.
--
Zilbandy - Tucson, Arizona USA <zil@zilbandyREMOVE THIS.com>
Dead Suburban's Home Page: http://zilbandy.com/suburb/

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Zilbandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Which software would you recommend for backup and why?

> Acronis True Image, because it works and images stored on removable
> usb drives can be restored by just booting from a rescue cd. No need
> to load Windows to recover.

Is it compatible with Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006
or do they enter into conflict with each other somehow?
One reason why I thought about
Symantec Norton Ghost 10.0
Symantec Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier
is that they are probably compatible with
Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006 and complete each other.
--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...n-sovrum-1.php
Сегодня среда 1 феврапъ 2006
Tänään on keskiviikko, 26. helmikuu 2006
今天二零零*年二月一日
星期三

Gerard Bok

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:00:24 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Gerard Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:02:08 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >I mean, does Symantec have an e-mailadress I can write to for this kind

>of
>> >questions?

>> Yes, they have. And they charge it to you as an 'incident'.
>> Expect around 30 euro ex tax. (Some US $ 35)

>Do you mean that they charge a customer to give information about a product
>which one might want to buy?

They provide free information on their website.
If you require personal attention, they charge it as an incident.

>I need backup for several things, website files and
> book-keeping software for example.

In that case, it is probably wise to make sure that your data is
not stored on the same partition as your OS.
Say, Windows on C:, your data on D:

>> Rule #3: determine your goal.
>> Retreive all data, no matter how ? Continue your business
>> operation with minimal disruption ? Provide audit data for future
>> use ?etc.

>Continue my business operation with minimal disruption and backup data in a
>safe way

OK. Rule #3a.
Match your requirements with your budget.
Running a shadow PC, with automatic data replication from your
main PC usually proves cost effective just after the first
incident

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok