Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Simple encryption method for email attachment

Simple encryption method for email attachment

cypher

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Thanks, guys. How would I get winrar or pgp?

WinRAR:
www.rarlab.com
but it's not free.

Why not use 7zip?
www.7-zip.org

"7-Zip is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL"

"The main features of 7z format:

* Open architecture
* High compression ratio
* Strong AES-256 encryption
* Ability of using any compression, conversion or encryption
method
* Supporting files with sizes up to 16000000000 GB
* Unicode file names
* Solid compressing
* Archive headers compressing"

It's free, it has so good or sometimes even better
compression ratio than WinRAR, and uses AES 256:

"7-Zip also supports encryption with AES-256 algorithm. This
algorithm uses cipher key with length of 256 bits. To create
that key 7-Zip uses derivation function based on SHA-256 hash
algorithm. A key derivation function produces a derived key
from text password defined by user. For increasing the cost
of exhaustive search for passwords 7-Zip uses big number of
iterations to produce cipher key from text password."

If you want to use an archiver 7zip seems to be a better
choice for you.

You can buy PGP here:
http://www.pgp.com/

Or download GnuPG for free from here:
http://www.gnupg.org/
GPG is a command-line tool, if you would rather use something
with GUI gpg4win is here:
http://wald.intevation.org/projects/gpg4win/

My recommendation-7zip or gpg4win (GnuPG if you like to work
in command-line).

cypher

Bob Furtaw

WinZip is fairly popular, easily accessable and easy to use. Why not use
the encryption feature in it?

Bob
"Dave Keays" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R5CBf.16416$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
>> Fred wrote:
>>

>>>Ideally, I would like to find a program or other method to encrypt a file
>>>for sending by email where I can choose a key (5-10 letter word etc)
>>>which
>>>I can then give the receiving party by phone. Can anyone recommend a
>>>simple way to encrypt a file to be sent by email?

>> PGP does both "conventional encryption" where the file is encrypted to a
>> pass phrase only, and a nifty feature called SDA or (S)elf (D)ecrypting
>> (A)rchive where you sent the recipient a file containing everything they
>> need to decrypt the file including the "executable program" itself. IOW,
>> all they need is the pass phrase you'd supply over the phone, they
>> wouldn't even have to install PGP if they didn't want to.
>>
>> Plus, PGP is widely used so it's more likely to interface with more email
>> clients in easier ways, and you'll have an easier time getting help if
>> you're having trouble understanding something. How ideal is that?
>>

> Any comments on GPG with Enigmail? (The setup I have but haven't tested it
> thoroughly-- yet.
>

> --
>
> Dave Keays

Fred

Thanks. Are any of these setup so that I can enter my own password which is
used for scrambling the bits and bites?

"cypher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dr7ulv$o4b$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > Thanks, guys. How would I get winrar or pgp?

> WinRAR:
> www.rarlab.com
> but it's not free.
>
> Why not use 7zip?
> www.7-zip.org
>
> "7-Zip is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL"
>
> "The main features of 7z format:
>
> * Open architecture
> * High compression ratio
> * Strong AES-256 encryption
> * Ability of using any compression, conversion or encryption
> method
> * Supporting files with sizes up to 16000000000 GB
> * Unicode file names
> * Solid compressing
> * Archive headers compressing"
>
> It's free, it has so good or sometimes even better
> compression ratio than WinRAR, and uses AES 256:
>
> "7-Zip also supports encryption with AES-256 algorithm. This
> algorithm uses cipher key with length of 256 bits. To create
> that key 7-Zip uses derivation function based on SHA-256 hash
> algorithm. A key derivation function produces a derived key
> from text password defined by user. For increasing the cost
> of exhaustive search for passwords 7-Zip uses big number of
> iterations to produce cipher key from text password."
>
> If you want to use an archiver 7zip seems to be a better
> choice for you.
>
> You can buy PGP here:
> http://www.pgp.com/
>
> Or download GnuPG for free from here:
> http://www.gnupg.org/
> GPG is a command-line tool, if you would rather use something
> with GUI gpg4win is here:
> http://wald.intevation.org/projects/gpg4win/
>
> My recommendation-7zip or gpg4win (GnuPG if you like to work
> in command-line).
>
> cypher

cypher

cypher

Fred

All righty! Thanks, Cypher!

"cypher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:drbo2f$ehe$(E-Mail Removed)...

Jeff B

Email filters is a *major* consideration.
Many companies will discard attachments such as *.zip, *.rar for the
reason of the exposure to executables.

Using a straight encryption technique like the PGP family, the data is
not an attachment, but inline text as shown in this thread

IMO, use the tools for the purpose intended is straight forward and
ususally simple to learn.

Your milage may vary

--
---
Jeff B (remove the No-Spam to reply)

Fred

Thanks. Sounds good to me. Is there a 'beginners guide' to PGP where I get
up to speed on it?

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

Fred wrote:
> Thanks. Sounds good to me. Is there a 'beginners guide' to PGP where I get
> up to speed on it?

google for: OpenSource PGP