Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > I zap Google cookies but it tracks me by IP - what else?

I zap Google cookies but it tracks me by IP - what else?

Donnie

> What IP address - these are normally negotiated on a per session basis.
>
> Guess what Google don't even want to give this to Uncle Sam!

#################################
Dialup IPs are per session, not DSL or Cable. Besides, they have logs too.
donnie.

Donnie

As a side note, google stock dropped 36 points today. My guess is that even
though most investors support the gov, they know enough to get rid of that
stock because chances are that google will win the battle but lose the war.
donnie.
###################################

Donnie

> Just go here - http://proxify.com/ then Google cant track you - easy.
>
> Just to prove it, go there, then from there, go to www.myipaddress.com and
> see the results - it wont be your address it sees!
>
> Sparks...

##############################
It looks good as long as proxify isn't owned by the gov. The CIA went by
the rule of thumb during Operation Mockingbird, that One journalist is worth
20 agents. That could be updated to: One proxy is worth 20 agents.
donnie.

Winged

(admins) privacyoffshore wrote:
> Yahoo and Alta Vista are a great alternative, give them a try, you
> probably won't see any difference on a basic search. Alta Vista gives
> a language and search area preference right on the search page .
>

> * Anonymous Secure Offshore SHH-2 Surfing Tunnels
> * Anonymous mail & news through SHH-2 Tunnels
> * www.privacyoffshore.net (no logs Internet)
> * www.privacyoffshore.info (no logs Internet)

Might be great alternatives but the other major search engines turned
over their records without protest.

At least Google had the audacity to stand up to what is obviously an
over extension of reach. Google isn't even a direct party in the
litigation action (of course neither were the other search engines).

The Government has now asked only for the data, not the
instrumentalities to track the direct who. The issue here is principle
and financial. Hours would be expended in retrieving what is being
asked for and modifying data to remove tracking information.

In this thread I saw someone say that the other search engines did not
store information for long periods, which is incorrect. The other
search engines do store information categorized. Google stores data
including the site and other information as they want the ability to
reorder this information to meet specific customer requirements. This
means the other engines may not store the details but information is stored.

I question the value of the term of GOOGLE cookie. I suspect that by
2038 I will have changed computers and access methods.

There is a cost to using google or any search engine. Donny indicated
that this is why their stock dropped. Personally I believe the drop is
an overdue adjustment and has no relevance to Googles wanting to ask a
judge before being forced to expend resources without recompense. I
know I sure wouldn't want to even pay for the media to retrieve a weeks
worth of GOOGLE searches let alone pay for the employee time to do it.
I believe Google is being prudent and significantly more responsible
than the "other" search engines who just caved in to governmental
request (included alta vista yahoo and MSN).

In my opinion PORN (what gov case is about)on the Internet exists and
will continue to exist irrespective of any single nations laws. I
further believe that anyone who properly manages their system can reduce
the likelihood of getting porn with the exception of UCE (SPAM). I
haven't seen any porn by accident on the net for eons but I do not use
IE which encourages advertising and other crapola. I believe getting
user education programs, encouraging vendors to build products that
isolate the machine from the Internet, and go after advertisers who use
exploits to exploit hosts is a far more effective method than
legislation the administration is trying to support.

Winged

“Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to
realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
- Ronald Reagan

Barry Margolin

In article <43d1855a$0$1458$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Peter M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Alex Heney wrote:
>
> > And even where they are theoretically dynamic, people who leave their
> > router on all the time will usually keep the same IP address,

> But as we already know, plenty of users have USB modems as supplied
> by their ISP and therefore have a high likelihood of switching off
> when the PC is off, or if not in use, the USB might 'go to sleep'

Even so, the DHCP server normally remembers the IP it gave to your MAC
address, and tries to give out the same address when you request an IP
again after starting up. It generally won't be assigned to another
customer unless the server uses up its pool, which is rare.

Most cable modem users keep the same address for months or years at a
time, even if they turn off the computer every night. You might get a
new IP if you turn off your computer while you go away on vacation, but
it's not uncommon to get the same one even then.

--
Barry Margolin, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Borked Pseudo Mailed

Winged

Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:

Actually numerous news organizations on the net have reported same.
However here is one of the News sources reporting Yahoo and MSN handed
over records.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1691827,00.html

There are a number of different sources indicating same.

Winged

Patrick Schaaf

"Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Try the Google scraper at http://www.scroogle.org/

Which then will be able to track the OP.

Patrick Schaaf

"Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> writes:

>Just go here - http://proxify.com/ then Google cant track you - easy.

Right. Then, proxify.com can track you.

best regards
Patrick

George Orwell

Patrick Schaaf wrote:

> "Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> writes:
>
>>Just go here - http://proxify.com/ then Google cant track you - easy.

> Right. Then, proxify.com can track you.

Know what the most interesting part is? Not only will they be able to
track your Google search, but everything you look at afterwords. When you
stick your URL in one of these "anonymous" web proxies they follow you
around until you specifically break out of them. If they're run by people
who might want to log activity like TLA's or marketing firms, they're far
more dangerous than Google.

People don't *think* about this stuff. They see someone has plastered
"ANONYMOUS!" all over the top of a page and away they go. If you want
to hide your IP and do it with something that's at least marginally
secure, use Tor.

Anyway to Zap Oriental Character Email? Sam Computer Support 2 01-11-2005 05:15 PM
Win2K --> XP Pro SP2 - ZAP no WLAN :-( =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBJLiBTdGVwaGVu?= Wireless Networking 5 11-25-2004 11:09 AM
ZAP! Gary G. Taylor Computer Support 15 01-20-2004 03:57 AM
Incredimail and ZAP Colin Computer Support 2 11-21-2003 12:47 PM

Advertisments