Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > I zap Google cookies but it tracks me by IP - what else?

I zap Google cookies but it tracks me by IP - what else?

Ivor Jones

"(admins) privacyoffshore" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> Yahoo and Alta Vista are a great alternative, give them a
> try, you probably won't see any difference on a basic
> search. Alta Vista gives a language and search area
> preference right on the search page .

I've been using Yahoo recently, but one thing I can't find on it that was
useful with Google is the facility to search again within results. Anyone
know if Yahoo supports this and if so how to do it..?

Ivor

alexd

WM wrote:

> I guess there's no way to prevent it.

Don't use google. Problem solved.

23:30:30 up 5 days, 3:45, 2 users, load average: 0.42, 0.45, 0.37
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

R. Mark Clayton

"Alex Heney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> And even where they are theoretically dynamic, people who leave their
> router on all the time will usually keep the same IP address, even
> through reboots, for several months at a time.
> --
> Alex Heney, Global Villager

So US gov. has a list of what it was and where is was...

Alex Heney

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 00:15:19 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Alex Heney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> And even where they are theoretically dynamic, people who leave their
>> router on all the time will usually keep the same IP address, even
>> through reboots, for several months at a time.
>> --
>> Alex Heney, Global Villager

>So US gov. has a list of what it was and where is was...

Only if you have used other (US based) search engines than Google.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
If nobody measures up, check your yardstick.

Sparks

"WM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> I zap my Google browser cookies but now I learn from the recent news
> that Google tracks every inquiry I made including my IP number. I
> guess there's no way to prevent it.
>
> As I'm on cable and my IP address hasn't changed in months then
> Google can reliably track my interests, habits, preferences, shop
> sites, etc etc. I have nothing to hide but I'm not sure I want
> Google to keep all that data about me.
>
> What good alternatives are there to Google as a regular search
> engine?

Just go here - http://proxify.com/ then Google cant track you - easy.

Just to prove it, go there, then from there, go to www.myipaddress.com and
see the results - it wont be your address it sees!

Sparks...

Peter M

Alex Heney wrote:

> MANY ISPs give fixed IP addresses as standard with broadband accounts.

I did two searches on ADSLguide. Everything the same except for IP:
Dynamic IP: 21 ISPs Static IP: 23 ISPs

Some offer static as a free option, some charge a one-off fee, some
charge a monthly extra, and others simply don't offer static anyway

How 'sticky' a dynamic IP address is, is another matter, depending
on the ISP.

> And even where they are theoretically dynamic, people who leave their
> router on all the time will usually keep the same IP address,

But as we already know, plenty of users have USB modems as supplied
by their ISP and therefore have a high likelihood of switching off
when the PC is off, or if not in use, the USB might 'go to sleep'

Hootowl

On 20 Jan 2006 13:57:38 -0800, "Gel" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Are fixed on broadband/not dynamic

On cable, yes. DSL is more dynamic, and if you change your primary
and secondary DNS to your old dial-up figures, it changes like dial-up
every time you log on (at least on Earthlink).

Dan

Hootowl

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:28:41 -0000, "Adrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>WM wrote:
>>
>> I zap my Google browser cookies but now I learn from the recent news
>> that Google tracks every inquiry I made including my IP number. I
>> guess there's no way to prevent it.
>>
>> As I'm on cable and my IP address hasn't changed in months then
>> Google can reliably track my interests, habits, preferences, shop
>> sites, etc etc. I have nothing to hide but I'm not sure I want
>> Google to keep all that data about me.
>>
>> What good alternatives are there to Google as a regular search
>> engine?

>They _all_ keep records, Google, so far, are the only company refusing to
>pass the records to the US government.

Yes, but from what I've read over the last several months, Google is
the only one that keeps them for years. The others don't have the
financial resources to be able to store those records a long time.

Donnie

"(admins) privacyoffshore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Yahoo and Alta Vista are a great alternative, give them a try, you
> probably won't see any difference on a basic search. Alta Vista gives
> a language and search area preference right on the search page .
>

> * Anonymous Secure Offshore SHH-2 Surfing Tunnels
> * Anonymous mail & news through SHH-2 Tunnels
> * www.privacyoffshore.net (no logs Internet)
> * www.privacyoffshore.info (no logs Internet)

###############################
Alta Vista, yes, Yahoo, no
According to some articles, yahoo gives what the gov wants.
#################################

Ant

"WM" wrote:

> I zap my Google browser cookies but now I learn from the recent news
> that Google tracks every inquiry I made including my IP number. I
> guess there's no way to prevent it.
>
> As I'm on cable and my IP address hasn't changed in months then
> Google can reliably track my interests, habits, preferences, shop
> sites, etc etc. I have nothing to hide but I'm not sure I want
> Google to keep all that data about me.
>
> What good alternatives are there to Google as a regular search
> engine?

Try the Google scraper at http://www.scroogle.org/

Anyway to Zap Oriental Character Email? Sam Computer Support 2 01-11-2005 05:15 PM
Win2K --> XP Pro SP2 - ZAP no WLAN :-( =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBJLiBTdGVwaGVu?= Wireless Networking 5 11-25-2004 11:09 AM
ZAP! Gary G. Taylor Computer Support 15 01-20-2004 03:57 AM
Incredimail and ZAP Colin Computer Support 2 11-21-2003 12:47 PM

Advertisments