Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Strange starup item

Strange starup item

Flash

I am working on a computer and have come across this startup item. WCTGMXBJ.

PC is a HP running XP home.

I have searched the net and many anti-virus companies sites and cannot find
any reference to it.

There are four files in the SYSTEM32 folder:
wctgmxbj.dat
wctgmxbj_nav.dat
wctgmxbj_navps.dat
wctgmxbj.exe

The PC is currently standalone and am going to format and reload OS, so I
ran the exe. It deleted. (PC currently running in safe mode)

..dat file contains asian text.
other two nav .dat files are unreadable.

Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks,

pickluh

reboot in safe mode, copy those files to disk (floppy), then delete
them. do the backup incase they're needed for some app to run, but
anything in the sys32 folder should be legitimate and recognizable if
you do a search for it.

David H. Lipman

From: "Flash" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| I am working on a computer and have come across this startup item. WCTGMXBJ.
|
| PC is a HP running XP home.
|
| I have searched the net and many anti-virus companies sites and cannot find
| any reference to it.
|
| There are four files in the SYSTEM32 folder:
| wctgmxbj.dat
| wctgmxbj_nav.dat
| wctgmxbj_navps.dat
| wctgmxbj.exe
|
| The PC is currently standalone and am going to format and reload OS, so I
| ran the exe. It deleted. (PC currently running in safe mode)
|
| .dat file contains asian text.
| other two nav .dat files are unreadable.
|
| Does anyone know what this is?
|
| Thanks,

Please submit a sample of "wctgmxbj.exe" to Virus Total --
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
The submission will then be tested against many different AV vendor's scanners.
That will give you an idea what it is and who recognizes it. In addition, unless told
otherwise, Virus Total will provide the sample to all participating vendors.

You can also submit a suspect, one at a time, via the following email URL...
(E-Mail Removed)?subject=SCAN

When you get the report, please post back the exact results.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Lars

Would it REALLY not report it to the AV companies? a virii writer could
use that for testing really easy then...

David H. Lipman

From: "Lars" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Would it REALLY not report it to the AV companies? a virii writer could
| use that for testing really easy then...

Virus writers often submit the "viruses (not viri or virii as there is no terminology) to
virus companies. Virus Total does submit new samples to participating companies. Albeit,
slowly.

Please read the following on the plural of virus as these uRLs explain the subject matter
far better than I could expect to express it.

http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html
http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-of-virus.html

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Toni from T.O.

> Please read the following on the plural of virus as these uRLs explain the

subject matter
> far better than I could expect to express it.
>
> http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html
> http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-of-virus.html

Truly one of the more irritating misuses of the *English* language on
Usenet. As for the argument that the dictionaries are not up to date, how
can one update a dead language? Thanks for the links!

Toni

Gerard Bok

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:13:48 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "Lars" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>| Would it REALLY not report it to the AV companies? a virii writer could
>| use that for testing really easy then...
>
>Virus writers often submit the "viruses (not viri or virii as there is no terminology) to
>virus companies. Virus Total does submit new samples to participating companies. Albeit,
>slowly.
>
>Please read the following on the plural of virus as these uRLs explain the subject matter
>far better than I could expect to express it.
>
>http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html
>http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-of-virus.html

Well, both authors claim, that virus in Latin lacks a plural
form. It does not. In Latin the plural of virus reads viri.

And I have a dictionary to prove it
(Notwithstanding the fact that viri can also have another
meaning.)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

nemo_outis

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Gerard Bok) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:13:48 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>>From: "Lars" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>>| Would it REALLY not report it to the AV companies? a virii writer
>>| could use that for testing really easy then...
>>
>>Virus writers often submit the "viruses (not viri or virii as there is
>>no terminology) to virus companies. Virus Total does submit new
>>samples to participating companies. Albeit, slowly.
>>
>>Please read the following on the plural of virus as these uRLs explain
>>the subject matter far better than I could expect to express it.
>>
>>http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html
>>http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-of-virus.html

> Well, both authors claim, that virus in Latin lacks a plural
> form. It does not. In Latin the plural of virus reads viri.
>
> And I have a dictionary to prove it
> (Notwithstanding the fact that viri can also have another
> meaning.)

I do not know what Latin dictionary you are using (please cite it!), but
if it gives a plural for virus it is wrong. There is NO occurence of a
plural use of "virus" in classical Latin texts (or medieval ones either,
but my knowledge there is more sparse).

Yes, you can infer what the plural of virus might be assuming that it
followed the regular declension pattern. However, actual usage trumps
mere formalism, and there is NO use of a plural for "virus."

Regards,

Gerard Bok

On 09 Jan 2006 17:42:05 GMT, "nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (Gerard Bok) wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:13:48 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
>> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>>
>>>From: "Lars" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>>Virus writers often submit the "viruses (not viri or virii as there is
>>>no terminology) to virus companies. Virus Total does submit new
>>>samples to participating companies. Albeit, slowly.
>>>
>>>Please read the following on the plural of virus as these uRLs explain
>>>the subject matter far better than I could expect to express it.
>>>
>>>http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html
>>>http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-of-virus.html

>> Well, both authors claim, that virus in Latin lacks a plural
>> form. It does not. In Latin the plural of virus reads viri.
>>
>> And I have a dictionary to prove it
>> (Notwithstanding the fact that viri can also have another
>> meaning.)

>I do not know what Latin dictionary you are using (please cite it!), but
>if it gives a plural for virus it is wrong. There is NO occurence of a
>plural use of "virus" in classical Latin texts (or medieval ones either,
>but my knowledge there is more sparse).

It's 'latijns nederlands woordenboek' by drs. h.h. mallinckrodt,
edition Aula - Spectrum, 1969. (all-lowercase titles where common
then

If you care, I can email you the page

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

nemo_outis

(E-Mail Removed) (Gerard Bok) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

....snip...
>>I do not know what Latin dictionary you are using (please cite it!),
>>but if it gives a plural for virus it is wrong. There is NO occurence
>>of a plural use of "virus" in classical Latin texts (or medieval ones
>>either, but my knowledge there is more sparse).

> It's 'latijns nederlands woordenboek' by drs. h.h. mallinckrodt,
> edition Aula - Spectrum, 1969. (all-lowercase titles where common
> then
>
> If you care, I can email you the page

Thank you for the citation; however, I am unacquainted with that
(Dutch?) text.

The thing about the Latin word "virus" is that, even in Latin, it is
unusual. It is second declension, neuter (not masculine, as the
ending would suggest) - this makes it only one of a handful of such
nouns that have masculine endings but are neuter in gender.

The word in Latin means "poison" or "venom" and is a "noun of extent."
By that I mean that it does not "multiplicity" as an attribute and so
there is no plural for the noun. A similar case in English would be
something like "oxygen." You can have a little oxygen, or a lot of
oxygen, but not many "oxygens."

An interesting and useful discussion can be found at:

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html

Regards,