Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Doubleclick Penetrates Firefox on Xandros Linux

Doubleclick Penetrates Firefox on Xandros Linux

dave

Hi, all,

Got rid of M$h*t on an IBM T21 Laptop and installed Linux, connecting
via home Verizon DSL. I thought I had left the world of spyware and
other malware behind, so I was annoyed when DoubleClick popped up
yesterday while browsing. Am I as secure as I had hoped?? Thanks,

dave

Bit Twister

On 3 Jan 2006 02:28:24 -0800, dave wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> Got rid of M$h*t on an IBM T21 Laptop and installed Linux, connecting
> via home Verizon DSL. I thought I had left the world of spyware and
> other malware behind,

You did.

> so I was annoyed when DoubleClick popped up yesterday while browsing.

You can disable java* and popups in Firefox.

> Am I as secure as I had hoped??

Yes.

Want to knock out ads? Add the ad's url to your host file with a
bitbucket ip address. Snippet from mine.
$ head /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.2.1 fw.home.invalid fw
192.168.2.10 wb.home.invalid wb
127.0.0.2 unknown.Level3.net
127.0.0.2 008i.com
127.0.0.2 008k.com
127.0.0.2 00hq.com #[Adware.Winshow][Parasite.Winshow]
127.0.0.2 0190-dialer.com
127.0.0.2 01.sharedsource.org
127.0.0.2 03.sharedsource.org #[UDConnect Class]

Current line count of my hosts
$ wc -l /etc/hosts
5253 /etc/hosts

Want a few ad urls.

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

edouble

"dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi, all,
>
> Got rid of M$h*t on an IBM T21 Laptop and installed Linux,connecting
> via home Verizon DSL. I thought I had left the world of spyware and
> other malware behind,

u just had to change browser not OS

so I was annoyed when DoubleClick popped up
> yesterday while browsing. Am I as secure as I had hoped?? Thanks,

what sites do u visit more frequently? porn and warez hu?

> dave

gilly

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 05:19:06 -0600, Bit Twister wrote:

> On 3 Jan 2006 02:28:24 -0800, dave wrote:
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> Got rid of M$h*t on an IBM T21 Laptop and installed Linux, connecting
>> via home Verizon DSL. I thought I had left the world of spyware and
>> other malware behind,

> You did.
>
>> so I was annoyed when DoubleClick popped up yesterday while browsing.

You could allways install Privoxy it will remove all adds.

HTH

dave

> what sites do u visit more frequently? porn and warez hu?

No, I am a working scientist, and I most frequently visit GenBank,
PubMed, etc etc. I don't know what "warez" is; and I haven't
done porn since early days of net, when, just for fun, I used to
download an occasional uuencoded .gif, and then uudecode it
just for fun (under DOS).

dave

Todd H.

"dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> > what sites do u visit more frequently? porn and warez hu?

> No, I am a working scientist, and I most frequently visit GenBank,
> PubMed, etc etc. I don't know what "warez" is; and I haven't
> done porn since early days of net, when, just for fun, I used to
> download an occasional uuencoded .gif, and then uudecode it
> just for fun (under DOS).
>
> dave

Dave don't let that silly comment rattle ya. FYI warez is leet' speak
for pirated/cracked software.

That a web browser can infect your machine via an untrusted site
having exploit code embedded into it is a security problem, period.
So I sympathize with ya!

Anyone like eDouble who takes a "blaming the victim" tack on these
issues really doesn't "get" the whole point of pursuing security for a
given network application. Then again, it's a lot easier and takes
less intellectual effort to just blame the victim and offer no real
solution or answer to a given problem.

But this is the foundation of most usenet participation.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/