Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Google virus/spyware warning

Google virus/spyware warning

JebediahSpringfield

I was simply trying to eliminate everything layer 3 and below. He
isn't getting poisoned DNS information that is pointing his browser to
an incorrect IP address. He's actually getting an IP address that
belongs to google. I wouldn't exactly call that a useless test.

james

Hello Jebediah,

No, I use different search words, absolutely nothing related to PHP.
The link you provide does not work for me.

Yesterday I compared all the running processes for both accounts using
the task manager, but also there I don't
see differences.

Any more ideas?

James

JebediahSpringfield

Well, my understanding is that google is filtering certain search
parameters that are related to the Santy worm, which infects phpBB
forum boards. The Santy worm uses google to search for vulnerable
forums to infect. Google blocks these searches in order to slow the
spread of the worm. A classic example of this would be this: try
searching google for the term "voice when". You should get the
same result.

I read online that if you at any point accidentally typed "googkle.com"
instead of google.com, you could have the Santy worm along with some
other malware. You can see how a simple typo could cause the infection
to spread to your computer. Once infected, the worm starts searching
google for phpbb sites to infect.

Now, given the fact that you aren't getting the same response under
your login as you are under your girlfriend's login, I'm not sure
how any of this plays into your specific situation. I am just
explaining 1) why that particular google page exists and 2) what I
meant when I said that using some specific search keywords can trigger
the response.

james

Hello Jebediah,

Mmmm. I have checked whether my girlfriends' account is infected with
the Santy worm:
I have looked up some info about this worm, the McAfee site says it can
only infect web servers with the phpBB forum software.
But... It is not installed on my PC
Further, my uptodate mcafee scanner does not find it.

Any more ideas?

James

JebediahSpringfield

The only other thing I can think of to tell you is that you could
create a new Windows Profile for her. Copy all of her documents,
address book(s), email settings, etc. to the new user account, test it
to make sure she has everything she needs and then delete the old one.
One suggestion before you do that... do a full backup. If your user
account works and hers does not, perhaps somehow her user profile has
become corrupted.

That's a lot of work. And I realize that it doesn't answer the
question "why" very well. But it seems reasonable to me. Good luck.

james

I think I will follow your suggestion to make new profile.

Jebediah, Thanks for your help!

JebediahSpringfield

Curious... Did creating a new profile work?

Jebediah

Franklin

On 01 Jan 2006, james wrote:

> I have this problem using both Firefox and Internet explorer 6.
>
> Thanks, James

Is your firewall set to block some Google Desktop Search accesses to
the net?

james

Hi,

I have not installed Google desktop, so it can't be that.

About creating new profile: that works. But of course all settings of
the original profile are gone. Any ideas of easy ways to copy the
settings to the new profile?

Thanks, James