Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Google virus/spyware warning

Google virus/spyware warning

james

Hello all,

I am using Windows XP Professional with 2 user accounts.
My girlfriend has a problem using Google using her account.
Every search results in an error message from Google (see below).
Using my account the problem does not show up. I have run various
virus- (McAfee v and spyware- (Hitman pro 2, MS anti-spyware)
scanners, but no issues found.

I checked the hosts file (read in another post), but the content seems
ok (one entry, 127.0.0.1 localhost).
We only have one network card and IP address, so it seams not a blocked
IP/mac address.

Anyone having any other ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help!

James & Maartje

We're sorry...

.... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears
that your computer or network has been infected.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover
to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious
software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on
Google.
To continue searching, please type the characters you see below:

David H. Lipman

From: "james" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Hello all,
|
| I am using Windows XP Professional with 2 user accounts.
| My girlfriend has a problem using Google using her account.
| Every search results in an error message from Google (see below).
| Using my account the problem does not show up. I have run various
| virus- (McAfee v and spyware- (Hitman pro 2, MS anti-spyware)
| scanners, but no issues found.
|
| I checked the hosts file (read in another post), but the content seems
| ok (one entry, 127.0.0.1 localhost).
| We only have one network card and IP address, so it seams not a blocked
| IP/mac address.
|
| Anyone having any other ideas?
| Thanks in advance for any help!
|
| James & Maartje

< snip >

Google doesn't like Proxy Servers.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Jim Watt

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:12:54 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Google doesn't like Proxy Servers.

It has never complained when I've use it to test them

Methinks this is something else pretending to be google.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

junkmail

if you click on links faster than 1 every 2 or 3 seconds it thinks your a
bot, and boots you.

dont click links fast.

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:12:54 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
> >Google doesn't like Proxy Servers.

> It has never complained when I've use it to test them
>
> Methinks this is something else pretending to be google.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

JebediahSpringfield

james,

Here's something to try. Log in as yourself. go to a windows command
prompt. type: ping google.com
write down the ip address that google.com resolves to.

log off. log onto your girlfriend's account. go to a windows command
prompt. type: ping google.com
check to see if you are both resolving the domain name google.com to
the same ip address.

If the IP addresses are different, under your girlfriend's account,
type: ipconfig /flushdns
That will flush all of the dns entries that are in your system's cache.

I'm not sure if the DNS cache is account specific or not. but it does
seem odd that you are getting different results from hitting the same
website.

Robert

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:43:44 -0800, james wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am using Windows XP Professional with 2 user accounts.
> My girlfriend has a problem using Google using her account.
> Every search results in an error message from Google (see below).
> Using my account the problem does not show up. I have run various
> virus- (McAfee v and spyware- (Hitman pro 2, MS anti-spyware)
> scanners, but no issues found.

What are you using for a web browser? I know some sites have a problem
with firefox and one of it's extensions.

--

Regards
Robert

Smile... it increases your face value!

Moe Trin

On 31 Dec 2005, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>, JebediahSpringfield
wrote:

>Here's something to try. Log in as yourself. go to a windows command
>prompt. type: ping google.com
>write down the ip address that google.com resolves to.
>
>log off. log onto your girlfriend's account. go to a windows command
>prompt. type: ping google.com
>check to see if you are both resolving the domain name google.com to
>the same ip address.

I know this must seem complicated - but your test is useless. Why?
Because "google.com" is not a single computer. If I ask one of the
many name servers _AT_ google.com, I get:

[compton ~]$ host -a google.com ns1.google.com
Using domain server:
Name: ns1.google.com
Address: 216.239.32.10
Aliases:

Trying null domain
rcode = 0 (Success), ancount=12
google.com 300 IN A 72.14.207.99
google.com 300 IN A 64.233.187.99

[snip]

So google is at the moment at 72.14.207.99 _AND_ 64.233.187.99, but that
answer is only valid for 300 seconds. Google has been assigned AT LEAST
four blocks of addresses:

64.233.160.0 - 64.233.191.255 66.102.0.0 - 66.102.15.255
72.14.192.0 - 72.14.239.255 216.239.32.0 - 216.239.63.255

Why have so many addresses? Simple - there are a gazillion people in the
world who want to connect to google to search for something, or read/post
news, etc., and that's to many connections for one computer. Having more
than one netblock also makes sense when the back-hoes are out there digging
up the cables accidentally.

Old guy

james

Pinging google results for both user accounts in the same IP address.
Anyway, I tried to flush the dns entries using ipconfig /flushdns, but
the problem is not solved yet.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion...
Anyone more ideas?

james

I have this problem using both Firefox and Internet explorer 6.

Thanks, James

JebediahSpringfield

James,

Are you using the same search keywords in google each time? Some
queries apparently will trigger this response from google. It is by
their design to protect from a certain phpforum virus.

See this thread on another site.
http://digg.com/links/Google_says_I_have_a_virus...