Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > WinFixer 2005

WinFixer 2005

Jim Watt

Whilst browsing the web, not I might add on porn a site,
got a pop up telling me of the evils that may lurk in my
PC and that downloading Winfixer would cure them.

Not being of a trusting nature I declined to download it

However the bloody thing had a go at installing itself on
my system and ZoneAlarm reported it calling home.

There is a registry key trying to run it at startup

NI.UWFX5_0001_N57M2811

"C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program
Files\UWFX5_0001_N57M2811NetInstaller.exe" -nag

Rather worrying, as if it had not accessed the internet it
might have got away with installing itself ...

The case for dumping IE and using only firefox gets stronger.

Google shows a website http://www.winfixer.com/

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...x?id=453094807
The pest patrol website says:

Category
Adware : Software that displays popup/popunder ads when the primary
user interface is not visible or which do not appear to be associated
with the product ... WinFixer violates the following criteria: First,
Installs itself or any other item without user permission or knowledge

---

BEWARE !
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

David H. Lipman

From: "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way>

| Whilst browsing the web, not I might add on porn a site,
| got a pop up telling me of the evils that may lurk in my
| PC and that downloading Winfixer would cure them.
|
| Not being of a trusting nature I declined to download it
|
| However the bloody thing had a go at installing itself on
| my system and ZoneAlarm reported it calling home.
|
| There is a registry key trying to run it at startup
|
| NI.UWFX5_0001_N57M2811
|
| "C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program
| Files\UWFX5_0001_N57M2811NetInstaller.exe" -nag
|
| Rather worrying, as if it had not accessed the internet it
| might have got away with installing itself ...
|
| The case for dumping IE and using only firefox gets stronger.
|
| Google shows a website http://www.winfixer.com/
|
| http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...x?id=453094807
| The pest patrol website says:
|
| Category
| Adware : Software that displays popup/popunder ads when the primary
| user interface is not visible or which do not appear to be associated
| with the product ... WinFixer violates the following criteria: First,
| Installs itself or any other item without user permission or knowledge
|
| ---
|
| BEWARE !

Two phase answer...

Perform Part 1 the perform part 2

Part 1
------------
Download Adware-Virtumundo Removal Tool v1.5 --
http://secured2k.home.comcast.net/to...undoBeGone.exe

Information on the Adware-Virtumundo Removal Tool:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57049

Part 2
------------
Download WinFixerFix.exe from the URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/WinFixerFix.exe

Execute; WinFixerFix.exe { Note: You must accept the default of C:\McAfee }
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

FireWall to enable WGET.EXE to download the needed McAfee related files.

Execute; c:\mcafee\clean.bat
{ or Double-click on 'Clean Link' in c:\mcafee }

A final report in HTML format called C:\mcafee\ScanReport.HTML will be generated. At the
end of the scan, it will be displayed in your browser (Opera, FireFox or Internet Explorer).
It is suggested that you move the report out of c:\mcafee before performing another scan.
It would be a good idea to scan in Safe Mode and in Normal Mode and save a copy of the HTML
report for each session.

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Jim Watt

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:28:06 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>* * * Please report back your results * * *

I went directly to phase 2.

Summary report on C:\*.*
File(s)
Total files: ........... 431385
Clean: ................. 429763
Possibly Infected: ..... 354
Cleaned: ............... 0
Deleted: ............... 104
Non-critical Error(s): 3
Master Boot Record(s): ......... 1
Possibly Infected: ..... 0
Boot Sector(s): ................ 1
Possibly Infected: ..... 0

Most of these come down to a couple of directories with raw email
messages containing a number of real virus's (usual suspects, bagle
mydoom sober etc)

The scanner removed a few things I would rather it had not, and may
put back from the backups. Unfortunately if one takes an interest in
getting rid of bad things its necesary to have them to hand.

What went down of note:

toolbar_uninstall.exe ... Found the Swizzor.gen trojan !!!
This was the program to remove LOP which seemed to do
the trick nicely. I suspect its a false positive.

UNABOMB.EXE ... Found the Spam-UnaBomber trojan !!!
no its not a trojan. Maybe antisocial and infrequently used.

desktop.exe ... Found the W32/Danshbot.worm virus !!!
it was there for research purposes being a bit of crap found on a
clients machine.

WEBCRACK.EXE ... Found potentially unwanted program WebCracker.sfx
sounds judgemental to me, there again it wasn't very good.

C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Free Tools\TFTP-Server.exe ... Found
potentially unwanted program Generic PUP.a.
Dunno about that, I was using that as a TFTP server to update my SIP
phones occasionally.

nimda.txt ... Found the Exploit-MIME.gen virus !!!
Hmmm I wrote that file, so its a false positive.

w00t.exe ... Found the MultiDropper-JG trojan !!!
Yeah I found that on a clients machine and was researching it

C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program
Files\CONFLICT.1\UWFX5_0001_N57M2811NetInstaller.e xe ... Found
potentially unwanted program Winfixer. The file or process has been
deleted.

Ah it was in there, or at least its installer was

C:\WINNT\system32\tmksrvu.exe ... Found potentially unwanted program
Adware-XPlugin.
Hmmm WTF is that and whats it a do-in there ! Google: tmksrvu.exe is
a file extension related to CoolWebSearch. aggghhh! uncool.

eudpass.com ... Found potentially unwanted program HTool/pwd
bugger that one is occasionally useful password recovery tool.

-----

Maybe its time to get a thin client machine to surf the web, and a
separate machine for malware research.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Winged

Jim Watt wrote:
> Whilst browsing the web, not I might add on porn a site,
> got a pop up telling me of the evils that may lurk in my
> PC and that downloading Winfixer would cure them.
>
> Not being of a trusting nature I declined to download it
>
> However the bloody thing had a go at installing itself on
> my system and ZoneAlarm reported it calling home.
>
> There is a registry key trying to run it at startup
>
> NI.UWFX5_0001_N57M2811
>
> "C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program
> Files\UWFX5_0001_N57M2811NetInstaller.exe" -nag
>
> Rather worrying, as if it had not accessed the internet it
> might have got away with installing itself ...
>
> The case for dumping IE and using only firefox gets stronger.
>
> Google shows a website http://www.winfixer.com/
>
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...x?id=453094807
> The pest patrol website says:
>
> Category
> Adware : Software that displays popup/popunder ads when the primary
> user interface is not visible or which do not appear to be associated
> with the product ... WinFixer violates the following criteria: First,
> Installs itself or any other item without user permission or knowledge
>
> ---
>
> BEWARE !
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

With the exploits published and in the wild and no current workaround
for IE....I think the case for dumping IE is very strong. Yes Firefox
too has had issues, though few of them have arisen with the regularity
and seriousness of the IE exploits.

Until MS allows me finite control over what is allowed where, I will use
my javaless Firefox to get what I need. I will turn on Java at trusted
sites only and turn it off once I leave. I will turn on graphics only
when needed and only from originating sites.

I get the nfo I need by being mindful. I question the longevity of a
web where the remote server has any right to process code on the local
machine in an uncontrolled manner. Yes, I know I do process html tags
in this mode, but luckily there have been few text exploits.

Microsoft's trusted computing..baa as far as I can spit...no thats too
far.... Trust no one...(it has been a bad day...) There are some real
nasty folks taking advantage of MS's latest holes.

Winged

David H. Lipman

Replies ar inline..

| On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:28:06 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
|
>> * * * Please report back your results * * *

| I went directly to phase 2.
|
| Summary report on C:\*.*
| File(s)
| Total files: ........... 431385
| Clean: ................. 429763
| Possibly Infected: ..... 354
| Cleaned: ............... 0
| Deleted: ............... 104
| Non-critical Error(s): 3
| Master Boot Record(s): ......... 1
| Possibly Infected: ..... 0
| Boot Sector(s): ................ 1
| Possibly Infected: ..... 0
|
| Most of these come down to a couple of directories with raw email
| messages containing a number of real virus's (usual suspects, bagle
| mydoom sober etc)
|
| The scanner removed a few things I would rather it had not, and may
| put back from the backups. Unfortunately if one takes an interest in
| getting rid of bad things its necesary to have them to hand.
|
| What went down of note:
|
| toolbar_uninstall.exe ... Found the Swizzor.gen trojan !!!
| This was the program to remove LOP which seemed to do
| the trick nicely. I suspect its a false positive.

My understanding is that it is an untrustworthy uninstaller.

| UNABOMB.EXE ... Found the Spam-UnaBomber trojan !!!
| no its not a trojan. Maybe antisocial and infrequently used.
|
| desktop.exe ... Found the W32/Danshbot.worm virus !!!
| it was there for research purposes being a bit of crap found on a
| clients machine.
|
| WEBCRACK.EXE ... Found potentially unwanted program WebCracker.sfx
| sounds judgemental to me, there again it wasn't very good.
|
| C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Free Tools\TFTP-Server.exe ... Found
| potentially unwanted program Generic PUP.a.
| Dunno about that, I was using that as a TFTP server to update my SIP
| phones occasionally.

That's a False Positive for sure !

| nimda.txt ... Found the Exploit-MIME.gen virus !!!
| Hmmm I wrote that file, so its a false positive.

I wonder what it focused in on.

| w00t.exe ... Found the MultiDropper-JG trojan !!!
| Yeah I found that on a clients machine and was researching it
|
| C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program
| Files\CONFLICT.1\UWFX5_0001_N57M2811NetInstaller.e xe ... Found
| potentially unwanted program Winfixer. The file or process has been
| deleted.
|
| Ah it was in there, or at least its installer was
|
| C:\WINNT\system32\tmksrvu.exe ... Found potentially unwanted program
| Adware-XPlugin.
| Hmmm WTF is that and whats it a do-in there ! Google: tmksrvu.exe is
| a file extension related to CoolWebSearch. aggghhh! uncool.
|
| eudpass.com ... Found potentially unwanted program HTool/pwd
| bugger that one is occasionally useful password recovery tool.
|
| -----
|
| Maybe its time to get a thin client machine to surf the web, and a
| separate machine for malware research.

Sorry about the SolarWinds TFTP Daemon. There's nothing wrong with their software.

As for some malware you are testing, rule of thumb is to always keep them in Password
protected ZIP files. This way they won't be accidently executed or in this case, removed
when you wanted them.

Some tools whiles not malicious in themselves can be used in malicious processes. The
McAfee scanner was set to use the "/program" switch and is aggressive in its scans.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Jim Byrd

Hi Jim - While there are situations in which flattening the computer is a
reasonable approach to ending a malware infestation, Winfixer isn't, IMO,
one of these.

Seven approaches to removing Winfixer (Vundo). Not all will work on all
variants. It's suggested that you try them in this order.

1 - Feedback from users reports that the Removal Tool here is the most
effective against what is currently the most common variety of this
'malware':
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57049

2 - Symantec has a new Vundo remover:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r/FixVundo.exe
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...alinstructions

3 - Courtesy of Dave Lipman:

"Download WinFixerFix.exe from the URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/WinFixerFix.exe

On the infected PC...

Execute; WinFixerFix.exe { Note: You must accept the default of
C:\McAfee }
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE to go
through your FireWall to enable WGET.EXE to download the needed McAfee
related files.

Execute; c:\mcafee\clean.bat { or Double-click on 'Clean Link' in
c:\mcafee }

A final report in HTML format called C:\mcafee\ScanReport.HTML will be
generated. At the end of the scan, it will be displayed in your browser
(Opera, FireFox or Internet Explorer). It is suggested that you move the
report out of c:\mcafee before performing another scan. It would be a good
idea to scan in Safe Mode and in Normal Mode and save a copy of the HTML
report for each session."

4 - McAfee has a combined automated/manual removal procedure here:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_127690.htm

5 - Then, courtesy of MVP Suzi Turner and Mosaic1:

"Atribune, a guy in the forums, has a Vundo fix tool as well:

Instructions for use by user as posted in the SpywareWarrior forum:

'Please download VundoFix.exe to your desktop. Here's a link:

http://www.atribune.org/downloads/VundoFix.exe

Double-click VundoFix.exe to extract the files
This will create a VundoFix folder on your desktop.
After the files are extracted, please restart your computer into Safe Mode.

Once in safe mode open the VundoFix folder and double-click on KillVundo.bat

A command window will open and it should look like this:

VundoFix V2.1 by Atri
By pressing enter you agree that you are using this at your own risk

At this point press enter one time.

Next you will see:

Type in the filepath as instructed by the forum staff
Then Press Enter, to continue with the fix.

At this point please type the following file path (make sure to enter it
exactly as below!):
C:\WINDOWS\system32\geeby.dll

Press Enter.

Next you will see:

Please type in the second filepath as instructed by the forum staff

At this point please type the following file path (make sure to enter it
exactly as below!):
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ybeeg.*

Press Enter to continue.

The fix will run then HijackThis will open.
In HijackThis, please place a check next to the following items and click
FIX CHECKED:

O2 - BHO: MSEvents Object - {52B1DFC7-AAFC-4362-B103-868B0683C697} -
C:\WINDOWS\system32\geeby.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: geeby - C:\WINDOWS\system32\geeby.dll

After you have fixed these items, close Hijackthis.

The fix will tell you to shutdown using the Power button. Hold in your power
button until the computer shuts down. Wait about 15 seconds and then restart
the computer into regular windows.

Chkdsk will run. This is normal. It will take a few minutes and is checking
your file system because of the Bad Shutdown we caused.

Go for free online Virus scans here:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

Allow them to clean

Panda will have the option to create a log after the scan has finished.
Click
the See Report button. Then click the save Report button. It will be saved
under the name activescan.txt Do that and post that log into your next reply
here.

Run hijackthis and post the new log and the vundofix.txt file from the
vundofix folder into as well.'

The forum helpers have reported this fix from Atribune works. I don't know
about the Symantec tool.

If you'd like to join Spyware Warrior, you could see the thread where the
helpers are discussing this.

Suzi"

Note: Here's some added info relative to the above courtesy of MVP Steve
Wechsler (akaMowGreen):

"the .dll's file name :

C:\WINDOWS\system32\geeby.dll

will be different on different systems. What you can do to identify it
is to scan the system with HijackThis and look at the O2 BHO and/or O20
Winlogon entries to find out it's name. Close all other programs and
browsers prior to scanning with HJT. REMEMBER that there is a hidden file
that will have the name of the .dll spelled backwards. Enter that name when
the VundoFix requests the path to the second file.

6 - Grinler, (Lawrence Abrams, a Security MVP), has another removal method
that can be used if the recommended method fails :
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic18610.html"

7 - Courtesy of S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]

Download VirtumundoBegone and save it to your desktop.

VirtumundoBegone
http://secured2k.home.comcast.net/to...undoBeGone.exe

Run that application after booting into safe mode.

Here's the HijackThis info you may need:

Download HijackThis, free, here:
http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip (Always download a new
fresh copy of HijackThis [and CWShredder also] - It's UPDATED frequently.)
You may also get it here if that link is blocked:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadge...8baee6434cfc13

There's a good "How-to-Use" tutorial here:
http://computercops.biz/HijackThis.html

In Windows Explorer, click on Tools|Folder Options|View and check "Show
hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system
files". (You may want to restore these when you're all finished with
HijackThis.)

Place HijackThis.exe or unzip HijackThis.zip into its own dedicated folder
at the root level such as C:\HijackThis (NOT in a Temp folder or on your
Desktop), reboot to Safe mode, start HT then press Scan. Click on SaveLog
when it's finished which will create hijackthis.log. Now click the Config
button, then Misc Tools and click on Generate StartupList.log which will
create Startuplist.txt

Then go to one of the following forums:

Spyware and Hijackware Removal Support, here:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
or Jim Eshelman's site here: http://forum.aumha.org/
or Bleepingcomputer here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
or Computer Cops here: http://www.computercops.biz/forums.html
or Tom Coyote here: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?act=idx
or Net-Integration here: http://net-integration.us/forums/index.php

Register if necessary, then sign in and READ THE DIRECTIONS at the beginning
of the particular site's HiJackThis forum, then copy and paste both files
into a message asking for assistance, Someone will answer with detailed
instructions for the removal of your parasite(s). Be sure you include at
the beginning of your post a description of "What specific
problem(s)/symptoms you're trying to solve" and "What steps you've already
taken."

*******
ONLY IF you've successfully eliminated the malware, you can now make a new,
clean Restore Point and delete any previously saved (possibly infected)
ones. The following suggested approach is courtesy of Gary Woodruff: For XP
you can run a Disk Cleanup cycle and then look in the More Options tab. The
System Restore option removes all but the latest Restore Point. If there
hasn't been one made since the system was cleaned you should manually create
one before dumping the old possibly infected ones.
*******

You probably should consider switching to Sun Java J2SE 5.0 JRE or later
here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp (What I use, BTW),
especially since MS will apparently no longer be distributing Java or
providing any support for Java including security fixes after Dec 31, 2007.
BE SURE that you uninstall any prior versions of Sun Java as some,
specifically JRE v. 1.4.2_03, contain a security bug which certain malware,
notably Winfixer/Vundo, are suspected of exploiting. If you did have this
version of Sun Java, JRE v. 1.4.2-03, installed, please post back and tell
us.

When you get things cleaned up, take a look at my Blog, Defending Your
Machine, addy in my Signature below, for some additional curative and
preventive measures you might want to implement to help prevent this type of
thing in the future.

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> [...]

> Hmmm I wrote that file, so its a false positive.
>
> w00t.exe ... Found the MultiDropper-JG trojan !!!
> Yeah I found that on a clients machine and was researching it
>
> C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program
> Files\CONFLICT.1\UWFX5_0001_N57M2811NetInstaller.e xe ... Found
> potentially unwanted program Winfixer. The file or process has been
> deleted.
>
> Ah it was in there, or at least its installer was
>
> C:\WINNT\system32\tmksrvu.exe ... Found potentially unwanted program
> Adware-XPlugin.
> Hmmm WTF is that and whats it a do-in there ! Google: tmksrvu.exe is
> a file extension related to CoolWebSearch. aggghhh! uncool.
>
> eudpass.com ... Found potentially unwanted program HTool/pwd
> bugger that one is occasionally useful password recovery tool.
>
> -----
>
> Maybe its time to get a thin client machine to surf the web, and a

Donnie

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whilst browsing the web, not I might add on porn a site,
> got a pop up telling me of the evils that may lurk in my
> PC and that downloading Winfixer would cure them.

##################################
I've been using the custom security setting in IE and stopping just about
all scripting that can be run in the browser. I never get any pop ups.
You've been around a long time. I'm surprised you don't do that.
donnie

Jim Watt

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:54:34 GMT, "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Whilst browsing the web, not I might add on porn a site,
>> got a pop up telling me of the evils that may lurk in my
>> PC and that downloading Winfixer would cure them.
>>

>##################################
>I've been using the custom security setting in IE and stopping just about
>all scripting that can be run in the browser. I never get any pop ups.
>You've been around a long time. I'm surprised you don't do that.

I do. Part of the reason for remarking on this exploit is that its
the first to sneak through.

However, I do use java and javascript a lot so can't disable that
although methinks this was down to activex

As a good bit of income now comes from developing websites,
I need to use IE to view the things, however other work will now
go Firefox.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Jim Watt

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:44:44 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>| C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Free Tools\TFTP-Server.exe ... Found
>| potentially unwanted program Generic PUP.a.
>| Dunno about that, I was using that as a TFTP server to update my SIP
>| phones occasionally.
>

>That's a False Positive for sure !

Yeah and i got it from their site. But it can be installed again.

>| nimda.txt ... Found the Exploit-MIME.gen virus !!!
>| Hmmm I wrote that file, so its a false positive.

>I wonder what it focused in on.

It was part of my virus spotting site, which I stopped updating so is
not currenty online so need to reach for the DVD backup to find out.
it was a text description of nimda and what to do to remove it.

>Some tools whiles not malicious in themselves can be used in malicious processes. The
>McAfee scanner was set to use the "/program" switch and is aggressive in its scans.

Not complaining, it got rid of a lot of crap that was cluttering up
the disk.

I turned to the lop installer because nothing else would shift it off
a clients machine. It seemed to do the business very well and there
were no noticiable after effects. It asks for a security code to
prevent it being used automatically. Not bad in a very small
executable. I'd like to be able to generate .gif files like that
easily in perl but it seems to be a messy business.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Hijack this log - winfixer 2005 popup WorcesterRed Computer Support 29 11-13-2005 12:50 AM
Winfixer help... _The_Wraith_ Computer Support 3 09-29-2005 10:54 PM
winfixer fars Computer Support 4 09-22-2005 11:50 PM
Winfixer constantly popping up on FireFox, Mozilla, and Internet Explorer. Only Avant Browser stops it and all other crap! John Breckenridge Computer Support 8 08-14-2005 05:30 PM
winfixer mljc Computer Support 4 08-03-2005 11:19 PM

Advertisments