Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > WinFixer 2005

WinFixer 2005

Jim Byrd

Hi Jim - Did you note this from my previous post?

You probably should consider switching to Sun Java J2SE 5.0 JRE or later
here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp (What I use, BTW),
especially since MS will apparently no longer be distributing Java or
providing any support for Java including security fixes after Dec 31, 2007.
BE SURE that you uninstall any prior versions of Sun Java as some,
specifically JRE v. 1.4.2_03, contain a security bug which certain malware,
notably Winfixer/Vundo, are suspected of exploiting. If you did have this
version of Sun Java, JRE v. 1.4.2-03, installed, please post back and tell
us.

Currently an investigation by some MVP's has led us to strongly suspect that
a flaw in Sun JRE v.1.4.2_03 is being exploited by Winfixer **** even if a
different, later Java version is being used as long as _03 is present on the
machine *****.

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:54:34 GMT, "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>> "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Whilst browsing the web, not I might add on porn a site,
>>> got a pop up telling me of the evils that may lurk in my
>>> PC and that downloading Winfixer would cure them.
>>>

>> ##################################
>> I've been using the custom security setting in IE and stopping just about
>> all scripting that can be run in the browser. I never get any pop ups.
>> You've been around a long time. I'm surprised you don't do that.

> I do. Part of the reason for remarking on this exploit is that its
> the first to sneak through.
>
> However, I do use java and javascript a lot so can't disable that
> although methinks this was down to activex
>
> As a good bit of income now comes from developing websites,
> I need to use IE to view the things, however other work will now
> go Firefox.

David H. Lipman

From: "Jim Byrd" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Hi Jim - Did you note this from my previous post?
|
| You probably should consider switching to Sun Java J2SE 5.0 JRE or later
| here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp (What I use, BTW),
| especially since MS will apparently no longer be distributing Java or
| providing any support for Java including security fixes after Dec 31, 2007.
| BE SURE that you uninstall any prior versions of Sun Java as some,
| specifically JRE v. 1.4.2_03, contain a security bug which certain malware,
| notably Winfixer/Vundo, are suspected of exploiting. If you did have this
| version of Sun Java, JRE v. 1.4.2-03, installed, please post back and tell
| us.
|
| Currently an investigation by some MVP's has led us to strongly suspect that
| a flaw in Sun JRE v.1.4.2_03 is being exploited by Winfixer **** even if a
| different, later Java version is being used as long as _03 is present on the
| machine *****.

I'd be interested in learning the finding's of the MVP community in regards to the JRE
v1.4.2-03 exploitation possibility once discerned.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Jim Byrd

Ans by email.

From: "Jim Byrd" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Ans by email.

None received yet

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Jim Byrd

Hi David - You should have it now - I forgot to de-mung your addy the first
time.

--

> From: "Jim Byrd" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> Ans by email.
>>

> None received yet

David H. Lipman

From: "Jim Byrd" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Hi David - You should have it now - I forgot to de-mung your addy the first
| time.

Got it and forwarded data request.

Thank You Jim !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Jim Byrd

YW, Sir!

--

> From: "Jim Byrd" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> Hi David - You should have it now - I forgot to de-mung your addy the

first
>> time.
>>

> Got it and forwarded data request.
>
> Thank You Jim !

Hairy One Kenobi

"Jim Byrd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ans by email.
>
> --
> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
> My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
> http://DefendingYourMachine.blogspot.com/

<Snip>

Would appreciate similar, if either party has the time..

i.dislike.nosey.people <at> ntlworld.com (cough) guess the throwaway address
;o)

(I'm at least partially interested in everyone else's experience when
reporting bugs to Sun. We still have a "biggie" from 1997 (

Thanx

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Jim Watt

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:56:34 -0800, "Jim Byrd"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Jim - Did you note this from my previous post?

I seem to recall installing some version of Sun Java on
this machine, errr how does one check whats on ?
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Donnie

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:54:34 GMT, "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> Whilst browsing the web, not I might add on porn a site,
> >> got a pop up telling me of the evils that may lurk in my
> >> PC and that downloading Winfixer would cure them.
> >>

> >##################################
> >I've been using the custom security setting in IE and stopping just about
> >all scripting that can be run in the browser. I never get any pop ups.
> >You've been around a long time. I'm surprised you don't do that.

> I do. Part of the reason for remarking on this exploit is that its
> the first to sneak through.
>
> However, I do use java and javascript a lot so can't disable that
> although methinks this was down to activex
>
> As a good bit of income now comes from developing websites,
> I need to use IE to view the things, however other work will now
> go Firefox.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

############################
I choose the prompt option. I know it can be a pain in the butt with the
constant dialog box asking if I want to run scripts or not but it sure has
served me well. That goes for ActiveX as well as java scripting and the
rest.
donnie.

Hijack this log - winfixer 2005 popup WorcesterRed Computer Support 29 11-13-2005 12:50 AM
Winfixer help... _The_Wraith_ Computer Support 3 09-29-2005 10:54 PM
winfixer fars Computer Support 4 09-22-2005 11:50 PM
Winfixer constantly popping up on FireFox, Mozilla, and Internet Explorer. Only Avant Browser stops it and all other crap! John Breckenridge Computer Support 8 08-14-2005 05:30 PM
winfixer mljc Computer Support 4 08-03-2005 11:19 PM

Advertisments