Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > upgrading a Cisco 500-CS

upgrading a Cisco 500-CS

Sameer

i purchased one of these off of eBay. the IOS, if it was called that in
1993, is 9.1. this OS release, unfortunately, does not support classless IP
addressing. i need classless IP addressing.

does anyone know the very last IOS version for this device? I've been trying
to poke around cisco's website, but I haven't found any indicator as to the
very last IOS made for this access server.

also, upgrading this unit... is it simply a matter of uploading the new IOS
through a tftp server, or is it something that requires the replacement of
the EEPROM?

finally, if this does support an IOS version, can anyone tell me where i can
get it from?

Walter Roberson

In article <DO0Ab.2851$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sameer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:i purchased one of these off of eBay. the IOS, if it was called that in
:1993, is 9.1. this OS release, unfortunately, does not support classless IP
:addressing. i need classless IP addressing.

:does anyone know the very last IOS version for this device? I've been trying
:to poke around cisco's website, but I haven't found any indicator as to the
:very last IOS made for this access server.

I'm not sure about the -last- IOS, but it was at least IOS 10.3(4):

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...s103/83396.htm

'ip classless' was introduced in IOS 12.2(T, so I think you
are not going to be able to find what you want.

:also, upgrading this unit... is it simply a matter of uploading the new IOS
:through a tftp server, or is it something that requires the replacement of
:the EEPROM?

The release notes should explain that.

:finally, if this does support an IOS version, can anyone tell me where i can
:get it from?

IOS is non-transferable, so you do not have a license to use the
device you just bought [unless the terms were different back them.]
The device hasn't been sold in many years -- it's a device from
literally a decade ago, so you might well not even be able to get a
license from Cisco.

It's seldom a good idea to buy used Cisco equipment unless you
already know how you are going to relicense it and get upgrades for it.
--
Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific
Fain would I fathom thy nature specific.

Neil Cherry

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:41:39 GMT, Sameer wrote:

> does anyone know the very last IOS version for this device? I've been trying
> to poke around cisco's website, but I haven't found any indicator as to the
> very last IOS made for this access server.

I have 10.3 on one of mine.

> also, upgrading this unit... is it simply a matter of uploading the new IOS
> through a tftp server, or is it something that requires the replacement of
> the EEPROM?

I don't know about flash/eprom, I boot mine via a boot command.

> finally, if this does support an IOS version, can anyone tell me where i can
> get it from?

Cisco is the _ONLY_ place and I'm pretty sure you'll need a contract
(don't even think of asking me for a copy!). I respect intellectual
property and Copyrights (despite what SCO would have you believe).

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

Rik Bain

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:41:39 -0600, Sameer wrote:

> i purchased one of these off of eBay. the IOS, if it was called that in
> 1993, is 9.1. this OS release, unfortunately, does not support classless
> IP addressing. i need classless IP addressing.
>
> does anyone know the very last IOS version for this device? I've been
> trying to poke around cisco's website, but I haven't found any indicator
> as to the very last IOS made for this access server.
>
> also, upgrading this unit... is it simply a matter of uploading the new
> IOS through a tftp server, or is it something that requires the
> replacement of the EEPROM?
>
> finally, if this does support an IOS version, can anyone tell me where i
> can get it from?

Here is a link detailing the upgrade process.
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...shim/22278.htm

From what I gather, you need new eeproms and 10MB of memory to get it to
10.0. Not sure if CIDR was introduced by 10.0 or not, I can only find it
in 11.0 and higher.

Rik Bain

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .org>,
Rik Bain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Not sure if CIDR was introduced by 10.0 or not, I can only find it
:in 11.0 and higher.

Hmmm, the Feature Navigator lists CIDR under
"Classless InterDomain Routing (CIDR) IP Default Gateway"
from IOS 12.2(T only, but it turns out that's a BGP-related feature.

"ip classless" does look to have been present since before
11.0 but I can't tell when.
--
Caution: A subset of the statements in this message may be
tautologically true.

Phillip Remaker

"Sameer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsO0Ab.2851$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> does anyone know the very last IOS version for this device? I've been

trying
> to poke around cisco's website, but I haven't found any indicator as to

the
> very last IOS made for this access server.

10.3 was the last IOS for the 500-CS. It is hopelessly obsolete.

> also, upgrading this unit... is it simply a matter of uploading the new

IOS
> through a tftp server, or is it something that requires the replacement of
> the EEPROM?

Well, you have a few problems.

1) Since you got it second hand, the IOS you are running is not legally
licensed. That is your biggest worry.

Read
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc.../swpolicy.html

2) The IOS software is loaded in EPROM, and the new EPROMs are no longer
made. This are not flash, not EEPROM, but UV-erasable EPROM. And it is not
trivial to burn a new set of EPROMs, even if you had the code. The tools to
make the PROMs were Cisco internal and reseller only, and reverse
engineering the PROMs is pretty tricky.

3) Even if you did manage all that, it needs larger EPROMs, which requires
changing the jumpers. Which I am not sure ever got documented in the web
based docs.

4) You can TFTP boot the software over the network every time using the boot
system command, but

5) You would need 10M of memory (30 pin 70ns) which

6) requires changing the memory jumpers, which may not be documented.

> finally, if this does support an IOS version, can anyone tell me where i

can
> get it from?

You have to buy it from Cisco. And I don't think we sell it anymore. And
it wouldn't be worth the money if we did. All of this software and product
is end-of-lifed and end-of-support at this point.

If you want to proceed with pirated software, you can do so at your own
risk. I can provide jumper docs on request. But I'd think it not worth
your time. What are you planning to use the box for? 10.3 is pretty old
software, and the ports are capped at 38400bps.

This hardware is a decade old. It predates Netscape, fer crying out loud.
It had JUST got PPP support. 1993 was a LONG time ago. Think Pentium 1.
Think 14.4k modems. Think gopher and WAIS.

Phillip Remaker

> "ip classless" does look to have been present since before
> 11.0 but I can't tell when.

ip classless was part of the VLSM (Variable Length Subnet Masks) capability
added in IP routing rewrite in the 9.21 IOS code. In 9.1, all addressing
was classful. Supernetting, masks on static routes, and OSPF VLSM all came
out in 9.21.

Buy me a beer someday for the story of the epic struggle to release the
followup to 9.1 IOS. It was not even called IOS back then. It looked like
it was going to slip forever.

Useless info follows.

Cisco historical trivia:

1) At what release did IOS start being called IOS?

2) Why wasn't 9.21 called 9.2?

3) What were the 9.14 and 9.17 releases for?

4) At what point did Cisco start placing letters after version names?

5) Eall of the major and minor releases since 8.1. (you are allowed to
exclude letters)

6) What was the CCIE program originally called.

7) What version introduced the concept of an async interface seperate and
distinct from a line tty?

A lot of this stuff is lost to time, and doesn't matter at all. But I lived
through it. What a trip.

Sameer

"Phillip Remaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> 1) Since you got it second hand, the IOS you are running is not legally
> licensed. That is your biggest worry.
>
> Read
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc.../swpolicy.html

does this means that all surplus dealers and their customers on eBay are in
serious trouble? does cisco honestly take issue with those who purchase
suprlus for the use of a home lab? i haven't even seen these guys say
anything about the buyer relicensing the software.

seems pretty draconian to me. i asked the people at MSFT something about
this a few months ago. it was something similar to this scenario. they
say, as long as you purchase equipment with the COA's as well as the OS,
there will be no issues with taking a new license. although, a new license
is needed in the event you need to reinstall... but this is a topic that
should be discussed at another time and elsewhere.

> 2) The IOS software is loaded in EPROM, and the new EPROMs are no longer
> made. This are not flash, not EEPROM, but UV-erasable EPROM. And it is

not
> trivial to burn a new set of EPROMs, even if you had the code. The tools

> make the PROMs were Cisco internal and reseller only, and reverse
> engineering the PROMs is pretty tricky.
>
> 3) Even if you did manage all that, it needs larger EPROMs, which requires
> changing the jumpers. Which I am not sure ever got documented in the web
> based docs.
>
> 4) You can TFTP boot the software over the network every time using the

boot
> system command, but
>
> 5) You would need 10M of memory (30 pin 70ns) which

this device has 10M installed.

> 6) requires changing the memory jumpers, which may not be documented.
>
> > finally, if this does support an IOS version, can anyone tell me where i

> can
> > get it from?

> You have to buy it from Cisco. And I don't think we sell it anymore. And
> it wouldn't be worth the money if we did. All of this software and

product
> is end-of-lifed and end-of-support at this point.

i wouldn't mind shelling out the cash if it was possible to buy the last
version... provided the version allows for VLSM... and from the looks of
it... it doesn't. :/

> If you want to proceed with pirated software, you can do so at your own
> risk. I can provide jumper docs on request. But I'd think it not worth
> your time. What are you planning to use the box for? 10.3 is pretty old
> software, and the ports are capped at 38400bps.

i just need 9600bps

> This hardware is a decade old. It predates Netscape, fer crying out loud.
> It had JUST got PPP support. 1993 was a LONG time ago. Think Pentium 1.
> Think 14.4k modems. Think gopher and WAIS.

this is not going to be used for a production environment. i need an access
server for my home router pod. this was within my budget. it was a little
less than half as much as a 2509.

besides, what else can this device be used for... other than an access
server?

Sameer

well go on... answer the trivia it'll give me something to talk about
during the next cisco user group meeting.

> "Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
> > "ip classless" does look to have been present since before
> > 11.0 but I can't tell when.

> ip classless was part of the VLSM (Variable Length Subnet Masks)

capability
> added in IP routing rewrite in the 9.21 IOS code. In 9.1, all addressing
> was classful. Supernetting, masks on static routes, and OSPF VLSM all

came
> out in 9.21.
>
> Buy me a beer someday for the story of the epic struggle to release the
> followup to 9.1 IOS. It was not even called IOS back then. It looked

like
> it was going to slip forever.
>
> Useless info follows.
>
> Cisco historical trivia:
>
> 1) At what release did IOS start being called IOS?
>
> 2) Why wasn't 9.21 called 9.2?
>
> 3) What were the 9.14 and 9.17 releases for?
>
> 4) At what point did Cisco start placing letters after version names?
>
> 5) Eall of the major and minor releases since 8.1. (you are allowed to
> exclude letters)
>
> 6) What was the CCIE program originally called.
>
> 7) What version introduced the concept of an async interface seperate and
> distinct from a line tty?
>
> A lot of this stuff is lost to time, and doesn't matter at all. But I

lived
> through it. What a trip.

Walter Roberson

In article <AR9Ab.3252$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sameer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:does cisco honestly take issue with those who purchase
:suprlus for the use of a home lab?

Yes. The relicensing program is quite new, and appears to be a reaction
to sales via eBay.

:seems pretty draconian to me.

I don't object in principle, since the license terms have long
prohibited transfering the license. But I do personally think that
they should make it a lot less expensive.

:i wouldn't mind shelling out the cash if it was possible to buy the last
:version... provided the version allows for VLSM... and from the looks of
:it... it doesn't. :/

I'm not convinced either way. 10.3 is after the 9.21 that Philip
indicated started including VLSM. But I'm not sure that "10.3"
is even in the same numbering scheme as the 9.21 that Philip mentioned.
--
"Meme" is self-referential; memes exist if and only if the "meme" meme
exists. "Meme" is thus logically a meta-meme; but until the existance