Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > pc takeover

pc takeover

stephen cass

My internet connection appears to have been taken over by a company which
appears to be saying that if I buy its product I can have my pc back!! Or
maybe I'm wrong - I'm a bit of a dumbhead in this dept...

Here are the symptoms:

Constant pop-up messages inform me I have been infected by spyware and I am
advised to 'click here' to protect the pc, and when I do so I am connected
via internet explorer to Spy Axe free download but in order to register and
use I must pay. If I type in another web address I get a message saying
adware has prevented my connection and I am urged to use Spy Axe to solve
the problem. Toolbars in explorer are also changed - Both google and yahoo
have disappeared.

Also I am told I am and by a virusiworm_attck_v122.. I am advised to 'click
here' I am connected to 'Spy Trooper' ...and the rest you know from above.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Abyss

Hmm, If you cant connect to any site, Your pretty much screwed. You
arent 'taken over' You just have bad 'spyware' problems. Funny that an
Anti-Spyware program uses Spyware to get you to buy its product -.-; If
you can, get on Download.com and get Ad-Aware, and Spybot S&D, download
them both (Ad-Aware is Free, But has a message urging you to buy the
Special Member Edition, or someting like that, You dont have to, and
Spybot is free) If you cant get to it on your computer, get on someone
elses, and download them to a disk. Run them both, and youll find the
Spyware.

Any questions, Email me or Post here, and Ill check up on it.
Good Luck

itsecgirl

Here's what I suggest:

1. Stop clicking and start cleaning. If you suspect there's a virus or
spyware on your computer, you need to stop clicking on what they want
you to do. It will get worse before it gets better.

2. Make sure you have the latest virus signature, do a full scan and
clean.

3. Make sure you have the latest Spyware signature, do a full scan and
clean.

4. Make sure you have a second form of Spyware software downloaded,
make sure you have the latest Spyware signature, do a full scan and
clean.

This should usually take care of it. BTW, make sure you don't delete
any Windows DLL files from your Spyware program. You might cause your
Operation System to fail.

Hope this helps!

-itsecgirl

David H. Lipman

From: "stephen cass" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| My internet connection appears to have been taken over by a company which
| appears to be saying that if I buy its product I can have my pc back!! Or
| maybe I'm wrong - I'm a bit of a dumbhead in this dept...
|
| Here are the symptoms:
|
| Constant pop-up messages inform me I have been infected by spyware and I am
| advised to 'click here' to protect the pc, and when I do so I am connected
| via internet explorer to Spy Axe free download but in order to register and
| use I must pay. If I type in another web address I get a message saying
| adware has prevented my connection and I am urged to use Spy Axe to solve
| the problem. Toolbars in explorer are also changed - Both google and yahoo
| have disappeared.
|
| Also I am told I am and by a virusiworm_attck_v122.. I am advised to 'click
| here' I am connected to 'Spy Trooper' ...and the rest you know from above.
|
| Any suggestions as to what to do?

Go through *ALL* of the following utilities !

* Download noahdfear's SmitFraud and SpyAxe removal tool -- SmitRem.exe
http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/click...click.php?id=1

After you use that tool, go through the following.

For non-viral malware...

Please download, install and update the following software...

* Ad-aware SE v1.06
http://www.lavasoft.de/
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

* SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.4
http://security.kolla.de/

After the software is updated, I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode.

I also suggest downloading, installing and updating BHODemon for any Browser Helper Objects
that may be on the PC.

* BHODemon
http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm

For viral malware...

* Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Donnie

"stephen cass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%jWlf.17841$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My internet connection appears to have been taken over by a company which
> appears to be saying that if I buy its product I can have my pc back!! Or
> maybe I'm wrong - I'm a bit of a dumbhead in this dept...
>
> Here are the symptoms:
>
> Constant pop-up messages inform me I have been infected by spyware and I

am
> advised to 'click here' to protect the pc, and when I do so I am connected
> via internet explorer to Spy Axe free download but in order to register

and
> use I must pay. If I type in another web address I get a message saying
> adware has prevented my connection and I am urged to use Spy Axe to solve
> the problem. Toolbars in explorer are also changed - Both google and yahoo
> have disappeared.
>

> Also I am told I am and by a virusiworm_attck_v122.. I am advised to

'click
> here' I am connected to 'Spy Trooper' ...and the rest you know from

above.

> Any suggestions as to what to do?

###########################
I would look in the registry. Search it for spy axe or trooper. Search for
redirect too. Also look in
HKLM
Software
Microsoft
Windows
CurrentVersion
Run
Delete any strange keys.

Winged

David H. Lipman wrote:
> [...]
> This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
> This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
> The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.
>
> You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can
> download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have downloaded the files
> needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key
> during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you want to run in Safe
> Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal Mode.
>
> When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more comprehensive PDF help
> file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm
>

> * * * Please report back your results * * *

David,

Does BHO demon show anything different than SPYBOT in advanced mode
under the tools menu "BHOs"? What additional capability BHO demon
provides that Spybot can't do. Not questioning methods, good advice,
but I am curious what BHO demon provides.

Winged

hugodekok@gmail.com

HI Stephen!

I had the same problem to with this Spy Axe thing.
I frend of mine send me this link and i followed all the instructions.
And guess what, It works. All the Spy Axe was removed!!

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-spyaxe.html

Good Luck!!

traveler 66

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:13:31 GMT, "stephen cass"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My internet connection appears to have been taken over by a company which
>appears to be saying that if I buy its product I can have my pc back!! Or
>maybe I'm wrong - I'm a bit of a dumbhead in this dept...
>
>Here are the symptoms:
>
>Constant pop-up messages inform me I have been infected by spyware and I am
>advised to 'click here' to protect the pc, and when I do so I am connected
>via internet explorer to Spy Axe free download but in order to register and
>use I must pay. If I type in another web address I get a message saying
>adware has prevented my connection and I am urged to use Spy Axe to solve
>the problem. Toolbars in explorer are also changed - Both google and yahoo
>have disappeared.
>

>Also I am told I am and by a virusiworm_attck_v122.. I am advised to 'click
>here' I am connected to 'Spy Trooper' ...and the rest you know from above.
>
>Any suggestions as to what to do?

I agree with the other poster, addaware & spybot are your best bet &
thier clean programs, be careful with some of the other spy remove
software out there, for a while some of them were actually installing
spyware on your box, they may still be?

David H. Lipman

From: "Winged" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| David,
|
| Does BHO demon show anything different than SPYBOT in advanced mode
| under the tools menu "BHOs"? What additional capability BHO demon
| provides that Spybot can't do. Not questioning methods, good advice,
| but I am curious what BHO demon provides.
|
| Winged

Ad-aware SE and and SpyBot S&D work by signatures. BHODemon just shows all Browser Helper
Objects found on the PC. You can disable or remove those that are unidentified or unknown.

Unfortunately, the author had a devasting fire and is not updating the software at this
time.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

shplink

traveler 66 wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:13:31 GMT, "stephen cass"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

SNIP

be careful with some of the other spy remove
> software out there, for a while some of them were actually installing
> spyware on your box, they may still be?

the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ:
http://shplink.com/misc/FAQ.htm

Foul demons (cell phone cams) fail in World takeover bid. Rich Digital Photography 3 01-17-2007 09:07 PM
optimize a takeover process ... Giovanni Azua Java 9 11-03-2005 12:17 PM
OT: Thread Takeover kpg MCSE 3 02-15-2005 09:11 PM
Blockbuster:$1 Billion Hostile Takeover of Hollywood Video. One-Shot Scot DVD Video 58 01-03-2005 07:42 AM
SPYWARE FRENZY TakeOver! paris Computer Support 7 11-14-2004 07:11 PM

Advertisments