Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Spybot comes on at Logon, why?

Spybot comes on at Logon, why?

ritter197

That was and is a great HYPERLINK. Thanks. I downloaded the i-run and like
it!

Thanks again.

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 22:06:07 GMT, "ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I have used various versions of Spybot Search and Destroy (free edition)
>>and
>>never before did it come on aech time I start up the computer. It is
>>actually the Folder, which contains all the subfolders of Spybot. I just
>>have to close it each time.
>>
>>I looked in my Start up folder and it is NOT there, so what causes this to
>>happen?
>>
>>I am using this with Windows XP Pro.

> It may ask you to allow it to run at startup because it is unable to
> do its business normally because there are proceses running.
>
> download irun from
>
> http://www.pcdisco.com/freeware.htm
>
> and see if spybot is started from the registry
>
> or from Spybot menu mode>advanced
>
> then
>
> tools>system startup
>
> and remove spybot from the list if its there.
>
> Gernerally I'm using adaware as it seemed to be better updated and
> solved more problems.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Steven L Umbach

In addition to other recommendations everyone may want to take a look at the
new version of Autoruns that is free from SysInternals as it now has several
categories to check startup processes and more. --- Steve

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html --- Autoruns

> Dave, great advice and I had totally forgotten about MSConfig. But there
> it was. All is ok now. Thanks again.

>> From: "ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>> | I forgot to mention, but I did before posting. I looked gain under
>> Settings.
>> | There is nothing checked to run at logon or system startup.
>>
>> Execute MSCONFIG and examine the StartUp items and look for something
>> that loads the
>> folder...
>> C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy { assuming you chose the
>> default location }
>> And disable that line item.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Well, then you did configure something in Spybot to load on startup. My
guess is that you enabled their TeaTimer monitor.

ritter197

I did and really do not know even now what that Tea Timer is.?

<Vanguard> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Dave, great advice and I had totally forgotten about MSConfig. But there
>> it was. All is ok now. Thanks again.
>>
>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>>> From: "ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>> Settings.
>>>
>>> Execute MSCONFIG and examine the StartUp items and look for something
>>> that loads the
>>> folder...
>>> C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy { assuming you chose the
>>> default location }
>>> And disable that line item.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dave
>>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>>>

> Well, then you did configure something in Spybot to load on startup. My
> guess is that you enabled their TeaTimer monitor.

Yves Leclerc

But will/can come back when the "msconfig" or the start-ups are played arounf
again. You need to tell 'Spybot" not to start-up when you do not want it to!

--
----
Y.

Wesley Vogel

No, it didn't. Nothing starts from msconfig.

Spybot-S&D would've been started from the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
Value Name: SpybotSnD
Data Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce
Value Name: SpybotSnD
Data Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"

The System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe) just lists the startup
locations and allows you, for troubleshooting purposes, to disable startup
items.

If you uncheck startup items using msconfig, they end up here >>>

(Start Menu | Programs | Startup folder)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

and here >>>

(Items loaded from the Registry)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:mNqlf.15072$Oq3.11760@trnddc05,
ritter197 <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> YES it DID start from there.
> I unclicked it and it does NOT start at log-in anymore. BELIEVE me!
>
> "Wesley Vogel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:umdfeRs%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> msconfig is not where it gets started from.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:vQplf.7015$xg1.955@trnddc03,
>> ritter197 <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
>>> Did that. It was in MSConfig where it started up. It is ok now.
>>>
>>> "Wesley Vogel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23QsYmKs%(E-Mail Removed)...

Jim Watt

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 01:21:26 GMT, "ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>That was and is a great HYPERLINK. Thanks. I downloaded the i-run and like
>it!

Theres a new version for release when I get time to finish it which
resizes the window to fir the number of items. When I wrote it
originally there were not so many things started in the registry
as there are these days.

It was created as a response to first generation trojans like BO
and does not get everything, but is useful.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

ritter197

I do thank you for the detailed reply and in fact, will print it out.

All I can state are facts. The Settings in Spybot did NOT say to be
activated at startup or login.

The MSConfig under the startup tab DID show Spybot. After "disabling" it
there, it does not show its face anymore at startup -login.

"Wesley Vogel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O5oHqdt%(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, it didn't. Nothing starts from msconfig.
>
> Spybot-S&D would've been started from the registry.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
> Value Name: SpybotSnD
> Data Type: REG_SZ
> Value Data: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"
>
> or
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce
> Value Name: SpybotSnD
> Data Type: REG_SZ
> Value Data: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"
>
> The System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe) just lists the startup
> locations and allows you, for troubleshooting purposes, to disable startup
> items.
>
> If you uncheck startup items using msconfig, they end up here >>>
>
> (Start Menu | Programs | Startup folder)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder
>
> and here >>>
>
> (Items loaded from the Registry)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:mNqlf.15072$Oq3.11760@trnddc05,
> ritter197 <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
>> YES it DID start from there.
>> I unclicked it and it does NOT start at log-in anymore. BELIEVE me!
>>
>> "Wesley Vogel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:umdfeRs%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> msconfig is not where it gets started from.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:vQplf.7015$xg1.955@trnddc03,
>>> ritter197 <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:

Ron Lopshire

ritter197 wrote:

> I do thank you for the detailed reply and in fact, will print it out.
>
> All I can state are facts. The Settings in Spybot did NOT say to be
> activated at startup or login.
>
> The MSConfig under the startup tab DID show Spybot. After "disabling" it
> there, it does not show its face anymore at startup -login.

Where in your hive (Registry) is the Spybot S&D located? A couple of
months ago, Spybot S&D ran into a problem with FPs. IIRC, when I ran
it after a definitions update, it could not do a complete scan, and
wanted to set itself to Run Once after a reboot. This is not the same
as it, or any other program, running each time upon restart.

As Steve suggested, AutoRuns is good for checking this out. On my
WinXP HE SP2 box, on the Logon AutoRuns tab, these are listed:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
Explorer.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
bunch of stuff
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Once
c:\program files\applications\spybot - search & destroy\spybotsd.exe
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
bunch of stuff

Note:
1) Spybot S&D is not checked because I evidently never let it Run
Once. Presumably, if I had, it would have removed itself from the
Registry after "Running Once".
2) Many of the entries listed on the AutoRuns Logon tab do not show
up on the msconfig Startup tab, as they are buried deeper in the
Registry than msconfig cares to display.
3) If you don't have a Tools tab on your msconfig utility, download
it from MS. Going through these tools is a way to remove autostart
listings, as opposed to just unchecking a program on the list. This
allowed me to get rid of some left over Symantec stuff.

BTW, Tea Timer is Spybot S&D's real-time (Resident) tool that monitors
processes and the Registry. Many people, myself included, prefer not
to use it, and instead use something else, such as MSAS, for real-time
AS protection, and use Spybot S&D only on-demand.

Ron

Pam

ritter: Here's a link that explains TeaTimer...

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html

HTH

Pam