Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Time For Ameateur Hour

Time For Ameateur Hour

tightwad

If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

nemo_outis

tightwad <@plum.net> wrote in news:GbNkf.14496$(E-Mail Removed):

> If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
> without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
> look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

What alleged deficiencies of anonymous remailers make them unsuitable?

Regards,

Jim Watt

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:01:05 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:

> If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
>without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
>look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

a dictionary might help.

There is no real anonymity here, which is generally a good thing
as those who seek it should not be posting.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

tightwad

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:01:05 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:
>

>> If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
>>without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
>>look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

> a dictionary might help.
>
> There is no real anonymity here, which is generally a good thing
> as those who seek it should not be posting.
>

> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

The only reasons are moral. Simly want to stop bugs that follow the
tracks and spam. The nuts that cause those problems are nt stopped by
all the virus checkers and anti spam ware out there.

Jim Watt

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:08:44 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:

>Jim Watt wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:01:05 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:
>>

>>> If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
>>>without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
>>>look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

>> a dictionary might help.
>>
>> There is no real anonymity here, which is generally a good thing
>> as those who seek it should not be posting.
>>

> The only reasons are moral. Simly want to stop bugs that follow the
>tracks and spam. The nuts that cause those problems are nt stopped by
>all the virus checkers and anti spam ware out there.

you may find this useful

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

tightwad

No thanks.
They only come in your sizes.
It seems you are well protected from current realities along with the
nutcrackery.
You may want to expand your knowledge not just technical capabilities.

Donnie

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:01:05 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:
>
> > If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
> >without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
> >look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

> a dictionary might help.
>
> There is no real anonymity here, which is generally a good thing
> as those who seek it should not be posting.
>

> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

#################################
There can be anonymity on usenet and there is nothing wrong w/ it IMO. Over
the years, I have been able to trace users right to their door and sometimes
read files on their HD. With so much identity theft happening, anonymous
posting can be helpful. Chaining remailers is more effective than using
just one. Now, before everyone starts telling me about log files and the
like, keep in mind that maitaining anonymity from the average usenet user is
different than trying to maintain it from an advanced user and that is also
different than maintaing it from the FBI. So it all depends what the
extent of the privacy is desired.
donnie.

tightwad

Donnie wrote:

> "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:01:05 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:
>>

>>> If someone has been searching for the information on how to post
>>>without revealing their address or any portion of it where would they
>>>look? Anomious remailers are not the answer.

>>a dictionary might help.
>>
>>There is no real anonymity here, which is generally a good thing
>>as those who seek it should not be posting.
>>

>>--
>>Jim Watt
>>http://www.gibnet.com

> #################################
> There can be anonymity on usenet and there is nothing wrong w/ it IMO. Over
> the years, I have been able to trace users right to their door and sometimes
> read files on their HD. With so much identity theft happening, anonymous
> posting can be helpful. Chaining remailers is more effective than using
> just one. Now, before everyone starts telling me about log files and the
> like, keep in mind that maitaining anonymity from the average usenet user is
> different than trying to maintain it from an advanced user and that is also
> different than maintaing it from the FBI. So it all depends what the
> extent of the privacy is desired.
> donnie.

Since I posted this there have been three attacks from emails with no
title or sender. I foolishly opened one to a blank page. Fortunately
there is no trace of any outgoing information or tampering with files
after a "thorough" cleaning.
That's the only reason I was thinking of being anonymous. If you post
anything on newsgroups expect someone or several someones to try and see
what is at our end.
As far as anomosity I have none for anyone.

Jim Watt

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:25:53 GMT, "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>There can be anonymity on usenet and there is nothing wrong w/ it IMO. Over
>the years, I have been able to trace users right to their door and sometimes
>read files on their HD. With so much identity theft happening, anonymous
>posting can be helpful. Chaining remailers is more effective than using
>just one. Now, before everyone starts telling me about log files and the
>like, keep in mind that maitaining anonymity from the average usenet user is
>different than trying to maintain it from an advanced user and that is also
>different than maintaing it from the FBI. So it all depends what the
>extent of the privacy is desired.
>donnie.

There are a number of different issues in there.

Firstly accessing someones computer is only possible if they have
neglected basic security in the first place.

Now if you are going to use the medium to attack people like the
CoS or discuss writing virus's then there is a need for for being
anonymous, however in other places its more often a sign of
a troll or a pest. Security is about measuring a response to a
situation, with the right amount applied.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Jim Watt

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 21:45:36 -0600, tightwad <@plum.net> wrote:

>Donnie wrote:
>
>> "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>a dictionary might help.
>>>
>>>There is no real anonymity here, which is generally a good thing
>>>as those who seek it should not be posting.
>>>

>>>--
>>>Jim Watt
>>>http://www.gibnet.com

>> #################################
>> There can be anonymity on usenet and there is nothing wrong w/ it IMO. Over
>> the years, I have been able to trace users right to their door and sometimes
>> read files on their HD. With so much identity theft happening, anonymous
>> posting can be helpful. Chaining remailers is more effective than using
>> just one. Now, before everyone starts telling me about log files and the
>> like, keep in mind that maitaining anonymity from the average usenet user is
>> different than trying to maintain it from an advanced user and that is also
>> different than maintaing it from the FBI. So it all depends what the
>> extent of the privacy is desired.
>> donnie.
>>

>Since I posted this there have been three attacks from emails with no
>title or sender. I foolishly opened one to a blank page. Fortunately
>there is no trace of any outgoing information or tampering with files
> after a "thorough" cleaning.
>That's the only reason I was thinking of being anonymous. If you post
>anything on newsgroups expect someone or several someones to try and see
>what is at our end.
>As far as anomosity I have none for anyone.

using a real email address long became inadvisible here,
however strange emails do not necessarily result from
posting messages on usenet.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com