Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Time For Ameateur Hour

Time For Ameateur Hour

optikl

Jim Watt wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:25:53 GMT, "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

Security is about measuring a response to a
> situation, with the right amount applied.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Hmmm....I like that, except that the response should also be strategic,
meaning prepared in advance of the situation.

Jim Watt

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 07:07:26 -0600, optikl
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jim Watt wrote:
>> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:25:53 GMT, "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

> Security is about measuring a response to a
>> situation, with the right amount applied.
>> --
>> Jim Watt
>> http://www.gibnet.com

>Hmmm....I like that, except that the response should also be strategic,
>meaning prepared in advance of the situation.

Yes, although its difficult to prepare for the unexpected.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Donnie

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:25:53 GMT, "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >There can be anonymity on usenet and there is nothing wrong w/ it IMO.

Over
> >the years, I have been able to trace users right to their door and

sometimes
> >read files on their HD. With so much identity theft happening, anonymous
> >posting can be helpful. Chaining remailers is more effective than using
> >just one. Now, before everyone starts telling me about log files and the
> >like, keep in mind that maitaining anonymity from the average usenet user

is
> >different than trying to maintain it from an advanced user and that is

also
> >different than maintaing it from the FBI. So it all depends what the
> >extent of the privacy is desired.
> >donnie.

> There are a number of different issues in there.
>
> Firstly accessing someones computer is only possible if they have
> neglected basic security in the first place.
>
> Now if you are going to use the medium to attack people like the
> CoS or discuss writing virus's then there is a need for for being
> anonymous, however in other places its more often a sign of
> a troll or a pest. Security is about measuring a response to a
> situation, with the right amount applied.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

###################################
I consider being anonymous on the net being part of good protection against
identity theft. Anonymity is not synonymous being a pest.
donnie.

Jim Watt

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 02:17:31 GMT, "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

<snip>

>I consider being anonymous on the net being part of good protection against
>identity theft. Anonymity is not synonymous being a pest.

You are sufficiently anonymous if you are tracable to an ISP, yet
still accountable enough that if you are a bloody pest there is
someone to complain about your actions.

In the above case there is no identiry exposed.

My experience in another newsgroup is that the real pains in the
arse turn up from anonymous remailers/posting services and use
them becase a responsible ISP would TOS them off their service.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

TwistyCreek

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 02:17:31 GMT, "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>I consider being anonymous on the net being part of good protection
>>against identity theft. Anonymity is not synonymous being a pest.

> You are sufficiently anonymous if you are tracable to an ISP, yet still
> accountable enough that if you are a bloody pest there is someone to
> complain about your actions.
>
> In the above case there is no identiry exposed.

Obviously incorrect. For one, your identity is known to anyone who is
granted even limited administrative privileges at that ISP. Given the
scope of some ISP's this could amount to thousands of people, every one a
potential identity theft.

Care to wager against us finding numerous examples of an ISP being the
identity theft attack vector? How about a month's wages?

> My experience in another newsgroup is that the real pains in the arse turn
> up from anonymous remailers/posting services and use them becase a
> responsible ISP would TOS them off their service.

That's undeniably true. Because of the security of a distributed network
that implements layered encryption, abusers are drawn to it.

But this fails to address the questions of why you feel your experience or
even the visibility of a class of "pests" represent the whole, or why you
mistakenly think your myopic perception of "need" has any relevance at all
to the rest of the world?