Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Hard drives infected with the Tompai-A,worm.

Hard drives infected with the Tompai-A,worm.

Winged

Storage Vendor IO Data Ships Drives with Trojan
Japanese peripheral vendor IO Data has accidentally added a Windows worm
on some of its external hard drives, the company has warned.

Hard drives in the HDP family of drives were infected with the Tompai-A
worm. After infecting a system, the worm connects to the Internet and
awaits further commands from its creator.

The system is effectively turned into a zombie computer and can be used
to commit identity theft.
The worm is an older threat and most anti virus applications are expected
to be able to detect and remove the worm before it can cause any damage.

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtm...d=002000001PBW

Donnie

"Winged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:da80$4390e9b7$45493f2f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Storage Vendor IO Data Ships Drives with Trojan
> Japanese peripheral vendor IO Data has accidentally added a Windows worm
> on some of its external hard drives, the company has warned.

#############################
Accidental??????? I don't buy that for a minute. Someone did it on purpose.
Accidental would mean that they have a trojan department besides their
hardware dept. and somehow the trojan made it's way on the drives.
donnie.

David H. Lipman

From: "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| "Winged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:da80$4390e9b7$45493f2f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Storage Vendor IO Data Ships Drives with Trojan
>> Japanese peripheral vendor IO Data has accidentally added a Windows worm
>> on some of its external hard drives, the company has warned.
>>

| #############################
| Accidental??????? I don't buy that for a minute. Someone did it on purpose.
| Accidental would mean that they have a trojan department besides their
| hardware dept. and somehow the trojan made it's way on the drives.
| donnie.

Since this isn't a Boot Sector Infector, why are they shipping a drive that has been
formatted !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Ant

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> Since this isn't a Boot Sector Infector, why are they shipping a
> drive that has been formatted !

And what harm can a trojan do without an operating system?

Jim Watt

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:27:26 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Since this isn't a Boot Sector Infector, why are they shipping a drive that has been
>formatted !

Its a plug and play external storage device for the consumer market so
its quite reasonable that it comes [pre-formatted, rather like
diskettes do, and its only on the Japanese market.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

David H. Lipman

From: "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way>

| On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:27:26 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
|
>> Since this isn't a Boot Sector Infector, why are they shipping a drive that has been
>> formatted !

| Its a plug and play external storage device for the consumer market so
| its quite reasonable that it comes [pre-formatted, rather like
| diskettes do, and its only on the Japanese market.

Well it just proves the point that no matter what, one should always format even if it comes
pre-formatted.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Jim Watt

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 17:37:17 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way>
>
>| On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:27:26 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
>| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>|
>>> Since this isn't a Boot Sector Infector, why are they shipping a drive that has been
>>> formatted !

>| Its a plug and play external storage device for the consumer market so
>| its quite reasonable that it comes [pre-formatted, rather like
>| diskettes do, and its only on the Japanese market.
>
>Well it just proves the point that no matter what, one should always format even if it comes
>pre-formatted.

Bearing in mind its a product aimed at consumers, that might be a bit
too technical for them and it probably comes preloaded with software.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com