Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Blocking emails from Asia

Blocking emails from Asia

Phil Nospam

Using Windows 2000 Pro, Outlook Express and Outlook, ISP is Road Runner.

Is there software I can use on my PC that will block all email (delete or
send to trash) that passes through mail servers in Asia?
Can it be done on my local PC or does that have to be done on an actual mail
server (blocking email from a range of IP addresses).
Filters on Outlook don't appear to be able to do this.

Donnie

"Phil Nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iw3hf.4076$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Using Windows 2000 Pro, Outlook Express and Outlook, ISP is Road Runner.
>
> Is there software I can use on my PC that will block all email (delete or
> send to trash) that passes through mail servers in Asia?
> Can it be done on my local PC or does that have to be done on an actual

mail
> server (blocking email from a range of IP addresses).
> Filters on Outlook don't appear to be able to do this.

############################
apnic.net handles asian domains. If you could find the IP range, you might
be ablt to block it that way. I don't have my unix box connected ATM and I'm
not sure how to find it using windows. You could try www.apnic.net
donnie.

Phil Nospam

"Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0e8hf.156756$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Phil Nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:iw3hf.4076$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Using Windows 2000 Pro, Outlook Express and Outlook, ISP is Road Runner.
> >
> > Is there software I can use on my PC that will block all email (delete

or
> > send to trash) that passes through mail servers in Asia?
> > Can it be done on my local PC or does that have to be done on an actual

> mail
> > server (blocking email from a range of IP addresses).
> > Filters on Outlook don't appear to be able to do this.
> >

> ############################
> apnic.net handles asian domains. If you could find the IP range, you might
> be ablt to block it that way. I don't have my unix box connected ATM and

I'm
> not sure how to find it using windows. You could try www.apnic.net
> donnie.

That much I know already. What I need is software that will let me block
that range of IP addresses.
Outlook doesn't have that capability. I know I won't be able to get Time
Warner (Road Runner) to block all emails from Asia so I'm looking for
something I can run on my own PC, if it's available. If not, what about my
own private mail server (maybe hosted through a low-cost web provider)

traveler

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:35:42 GMT, Phil Nospam wrote:

> From: Phil Nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: alt.computer.security
> Subject: Blocking emails from Asia
> Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:35:42 GMT
>
> Using Windows 2000 Pro, Outlook Express and Outlook, ISP is Road Runner.
>
> Is there software I can use on my PC that will block all email (delete or
> send to trash) that passes through mail servers in Asia?
> Can it be done on my local PC or does that have to be done on an actual mail
> server (blocking email from a range of IP addresses).
> Filters on Outlook don't appear to be able to do this.

Have a look at the freeware at www.nonags.com they have a few different
anti-spam tools in the e-mail section, they may have what you want?

Juergen Nieveler

"Phil Nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That much I know already. What I need is software that will let me
> block that range of IP addresses.

Have you considered using SpamPal (http://www.spampal.org/) and a
blocking list that lists per Country (blackholes.us provides such
lists)?

Juergen Nieveler
--
Multitasking: screw up several things at once

Donnie

> > ############################
> > apnic.net handles asian domains. If you could find the IP range, you

might
> > be ablt to block it that way. I don't have my unix box connected ATM and

> I'm
> > not sure how to find it using windows. You could try www.apnic.net
> > donnie.
> >

> That much I know already. What I need is software that will let me block
> that range of IP addresses.
> Outlook doesn't have that capability. I know I won't be able to get Time
> Warner (Road Runner) to block all emails from Asia so I'm looking for
> something I can run on my own PC, if it's available. If not, what about

my
> own private mail server (maybe hosted through a low-cost web provider)

##########################
I wouldn't bother to set up a server. If the software mentioned in the
otehr posts doesn't work, maybe a router w/ firewall capabilities might.
You would probably have to create your own rulesets.
donnie.

Moe Trin

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<6lahf.3035$(E-Mail Removed) >, Phil Nospam wrote:

>That much I know already. What I need is software that will let me block
>that range of IP addresses.

"that range of IP addresses" isn't. It's a large number of ranges scattered
almost at random from 59.0.0.0 to 222.255.255.255 with the Americas, Europe,
Africa, and everything else scattered in there as well. There's 297,658,112
individual IP addresses in 11649 blocks assigned out of APNIC, 73.7 million
in China (902 blocks), 41.9 million in Korea (371 blocks), and 15.9 million
in Taiwan (312 blocks) alone. Though limited, blocks are also assigned out
of ARIN to several entities in Asia (33.7 million addresses in 21 blocks to
five countries).

>Outlook doesn't have that capability.

I don't know of any mail tool in common use that does. However, there are
dozens of spam filters you can find on the web. Or if you know RFC1939
and how to hack networking code, you can build your own. Before I started
using SpamAssassin, I was using a shell script to grab the headers off the
ISPs POP server and delete the mail before downloading. It was about 450
lines, and referenced three other files totalling another couple thousand
lines of text.

>I know I won't be able to get Time Warner (Road Runner) to block all
>emails from Asia so I'm looking for something I can run on my own PC, if
>it's available.

It's your decision based on your experience, but I've found that blocking
by country extremely haphazard, blocking by IP somewhat more reliable but
a nightmare to set up, and neither very reliable in eliminating spam in my
mailbox. The last time I looked at my filter statistics, I found that
nearly have of the crap was coming from cable zombies right here in the
USA (3:1 margin over second place China), and yes - rr.com was the number
two source on that list. Each person's technique will be different, but
what works for me is to first check each mail against a sender's whitelist
that passes mail from family, friends, and a very small list of others.
The remaining mail is passed to a very harsh filter where I automatically
kill HTML, Multi-Part, non-standard character sets, before looking at the
'Received:' headers and killing mail from unresolvable, generic, or rather
blatantly false addresses, mail without my name in the last 'Received:'
header, and so on.

>If not, what about my own private mail server (maybe hosted through a
>low-cost web provider)

Not meaning to be insulting, but based on the questions you've asked here,
I _really_ wouldn't recommend that. It's not something simple. A much
simpler solution would be to get cheap0 accounts with a mail service
provider (not someone as common as gmail, hotmail, yahoo, or netscape, but
that idea).

Old guy

Solbu

Winged

Phil Nospam wrote:
> "Donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0e8hf.156756$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Phil Nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:iw3hf.4076$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
>>
>>>Using Windows 2000 Pro, Outlook Express and Outlook, ISP is Road Runner.
>>>
>>>Is there software I can use on my PC that will block all email (delete

> or
>
>>>send to trash) that passes through mail servers in Asia?
>>>Can it be done on my local PC or does that have to be done on an actual

>>mail
>>
>>>server (blocking email from a range of IP addresses).
>>>Filters on Outlook don't appear to be able to do this.
>>>

>>############################
>>apnic.net handles asian domains. If you could find the IP range, you might
>>be ablt to block it that way. I don't have my unix box connected ATM and

> I'm
>
>>not sure how to find it using windows. You could try www.apnic.net
>>donnie.
>>

> That much I know already. What I need is software that will let me block
> that range of IP addresses.
> Outlook doesn't have that capability. I know I won't be able to get Time
> Warner (Road Runner) to block all emails from Asia so I'm looking for
> something I can run on my own PC, if it's available. If not, what about my
> own private mail server (maybe hosted through a low-cost web provider)

Outlook, allows you to block messages by country in their spam filter.

I am not familiar with current version of outlook express (OE). Last
time I looked at OE I considered unsafe by default for several security
reasons, and did not see how the average user could make the client
reasonably secure yet maintain functionalities.

Winged

brian [at] cryptguard [do

Hey there,

ICANN maintains links to all the IP databases via the following URL:

http://www.aso.icann.org/stats/index.html

Once there you'll see links to APNIC, RIPE, etc.
One the APNIC site you can download the various lists of IP blocks
allocated to the Asian Pacific registry.
you can go directly to the APNIC site via:
ftp://ftp.apnic.net/pub/stats/apnic/

cheers.