Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > SurgeStrip Belkin

SurgeStrip Belkin

Nowhere

4 sockets, 6,500 amps,. What is the best way to set it up for max
protection. Can I run tv, dvd, pc on it? Can I run a separate lead from it,
connecting to further devices? Thanks.

David H. Lipman

From: "Nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| 4 sockets, 6,500 amps,. What is the best way to set it up for max
| protection. Can I run tv, dvd, pc on it? Can I run a separate lead from it,
| connecting to further devices? Thanks.

It is rated in Joules for a specific time period for surge protection. It can't handle 6.5K
Amps !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Beachcomber

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:55:23 -0000, "Nowhere"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>4 sockets, 6,500 amps,. What is the best way to set it up for max
>protection. Can I run tv, dvd, pc on it? Can I run a separate lead from it,
>connecting to further devices? Thanks.

Above all, makes sure you plug it into a grounded outlet and make sure
that it is a good, low-resistance ground. (Using a voltmeter to
measure voltage between hot - neutral and hot - ground. If you have a
big difference, possibly your ground resistance is high.

Multi-mode surge protection without a ground will not function
properly.

You can put reasonable loads on it. It probably is protected with a
circuit breaker. There was an issue a few years ago about old MOV
(Metal Oxide Varistors - the active surge protector component) growing
old, failing, and catching plastic outlet strips on fire. Not sure if
they fixed this, but I prefer metal-cased outlet strips, myself.

If you live in a lightning prone area, you might want to consider
additional countermeasures such as a whole house surge protector.
Lightning can enter your house through cable tv cable and phone wires
as well.

Beachcomber

Jim Watt

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:38:48 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Beachcomber)
wrote:

>Above all, makes sure you plug it into a grounded outlet and make sure
>that it is a good, low-resistance ground. (Using a voltmeter to
>measure voltage between hot - neutral and hot - ground. If you have a
>big difference, possibly your ground resistance is high.

'Ground' ceased to exist when water pipes became plastic. These
days its all PME here.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/....html#earthing

The main issue I see is damage from overvoltages caused by near
lightning strikes delivered by telephone lines. This is not a problem
locally due to two factors, a large rock which protects from strikes
and that we use BT style phone outlets which incorporate a surge
arrestor. Spanish outlets do not and machines there get fried
regularly.

I see a number of the mains surge protection devices incorporate
a telephone line filter. Good idea for non Brits.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

David H. Lipman

From: "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way>

| 'Ground' ceased to exist when water pipes became plastic. These
| days its all PME here.
|
| http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/....html#earthing
|
| The main issue I see is damage from overvoltages caused by near
| lightning strikes delivered by telephone lines. This is not a problem
| locally due to two factors, a large rock which protects from strikes
| and that we use BT style phone outlets which incorporate a surge
| arrestor. Spanish outlets do not and machines there get fried
| regularly.
|
| I see a number of the mains surge protection devices incorporate
| a telephone line filter. Good idea for non Brits.

Funny - A watt discussing surge protection

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Notan

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way>
>

> | 'Ground' ceased to exist when water pipes became plastic. These
> | days its all PME here.
> |
> | http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/....html#earthing
> |
> | The main issue I see is damage from overvoltages caused by near
> | lightning strikes delivered by telephone lines. This is not a problem
> | locally due to two factors, a large rock which protects from strikes
> | and that we use BT style phone outlets which incorporate a surge
> | arrestor. Spanish outlets do not and machines there get fried
> | regularly.
> |
> | I see a number of the mains surge protection devices incorporate
> | a telephone line filter. Good idea for non Brits.
>
> Funny - A watt discussing surge protection

Watt's that supposed to mean?

Notan

Jim Watt

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:21:41 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Funny - A watt discussing surge protection

none of your lip man.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Jim Watt

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:25:35 -0700, Notan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Watt's that supposed to mean?

Paleface speak with forked lightning, receive joule in second

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

David H. Lipman