Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Sony BMG's copy-protection problems grow

Sony BMG's copy-protection problems grow

Imhotep

"Further spotlighting Sony BMG's response to recent events, a congressional
subcommittee held hearings on Wednesday regarding fair use and copyright
protections. In statements, Republicans that head both the Committee on
Energy and Commerce and its Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer
Protection voiced support for fair use and stated that current copyright
legislation, especially the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), has
gone too far in limiting consumer use of media."

"It boils down to this: I believe that when I buy a music album or movie, it
should be mine once I leave the store," Barton said. "Who doesn't believe
that? Does it mean I have unlimited rights? Of course not. But the law
should not restrict my fair-use right to use my own property."

Republican Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, chairman of the House Committee on
Energy and Commerce, said in a published opening statement.

"The reaction by the security community shows that media companies cannot
assume that they have the right to install whatever software they wish on a
consumer's computer, said Ari Schwartz, associate director for the Center
for Democracy and Technology, a Washington, D.C.-based technology-policy
think tank."

"This incident does show companies that they can't just ignore consumer
expectations and do what they want to do, no matter how justifiable it
might be under the law," Schwartz said.

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11357?ref=rss

Imhotep