Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Yahoo E-Mail is a Hoot

Yahoo E-Mail is a Hoot

Edw. Peach

This is probably no surprise to anybody who roams this forum, but I
get a kick out of Yahoo's email program, at least the free version.
The site pretends to be really concerned about annoyances like pop-up
ads and spam, but I notice that when I sign up for an account, they
have a disclaimer that it will take a few days before any changes I've
made will take effect. The first thing I do when I create an account
(I only have a few) is to go in and change the marketing preferences
so I won't get a mailbox full of crap I don't want.

Invariably I will find a few topics of crap mail drifting into my mail
box a few weeks later. Perhaps Yahoo has a deal with their
advertisers that they'll at least leak a few pieces of junk mail in
most of the free accounts.

Notan

"Edw. Peach" wrote:

> This is probably no surprise to anybody who roams this forum, but I
> get a kick out of Yahoo's email program, at least the free version.
> The site pretends to be really concerned about annoyances like pop-up
> ads and spam, but I notice that when I sign up for an account, they
> have a disclaimer that it will take a few days before any changes I've
> made will take effect. The first thing I do when I create an account
> (I only have a few) is to go in and change the marketing preferences
> so I won't get a mailbox full of crap I don't want.
>
> Invariably I will find a few topics of crap mail drifting into my mail
> box a few weeks later. Perhaps Yahoo has a deal with their
> advertisers that they'll at least leak a few pieces of junk mail in
> most of the free accounts.

I'm pretty sure that a certain amount of crap is included in *all* free
accounts. After all, without some type of advertising, who would pay?

Notan

Jbob

While you might be partially correct I have a little different experience
with them. I have 4 Yahoo email accounts. One I have had for a very long
time and use it for general registration just in case of harvesting. I have
a paid Yahoo Mail Plus account. It of course gets it fair share of SPAM
since I use it most often. I do have two newer accounts that I have only
used in one place and never shared that address with anyone other than
registering with that site. To date neither one of them has received not
one single SPAM message. And I did like you did. Upon creation I went and
edited my preferences and opted out of all junk.

I know these two do not prove anything however could it be that whomever
these addies of yours were shared with sold them to marketers?

Winged

Jbob wrote:
> While you might be partially correct I have a little different experience
> with them. I have 4 Yahoo email accounts. One I have had for a very long
> time and use it for general registration just in case of harvesting. I have
> a paid Yahoo Mail Plus account. It of course gets it fair share of SPAM
> since I use it most often. I do have two newer accounts that I have only
> used in one place and never shared that address with anyone other than
> registering with that site. To date neither one of them has received not
> one single SPAM message. And I did like you did. Upon creation I went and
> edited my preferences and opted out of all junk.
>
> I know these two do not prove anything however could it be that whomever
> these addies of yours were shared with sold them to marketers?

I tend to concur with JBOB. I have had a free account Yahoo for years
with very little spam that gets through their filters(only in a blue
moon does it receive anything but legitimate mail. The original poster
either has his addy open somewhere, posted somewhere or has friends who
sign him up. Without knowledge of his habits and configuration though,
and habits of those who mail to him, I have no clue where his issue
comes from.

I do use the account frequently and have always considered the account a
throwaway but the need has never arisen. Strange, perhaps the poster
should examine the types of mail he receives, the configuration of his
yahoo name, and how he uses the addy...Maybe we are just lucky....

Winged

Winged

Edw. Peach

I certainly do not fault Yahoo for wanting to make capital from their
efforts and the free accounts work nicely. I also have a gmail
account and that one gives me the most trouble, with varioius 'server
error' problems. (And I also have, for my personal use only,
accounts through my ISP, and I pay a BUNDLE for cable internet.) The
odd thing about the latest account I set up is that I was getting
unsolicted mail even before I used it, and that same thing has
happened with other Yahoo accounts before. The type of mail I get is
about stocks and bonds and my user name has NO connection to anything
in that field.

traveler

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:54:12 -0500, Edw. Peach <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>This is probably no surprise to anybody who roams this forum, but I
>get a kick out of Yahoo's email program, at least the free version.
>The site pretends to be really concerned about annoyances like pop-up
>ads and spam, but I notice that when I sign up for an account, they
>have a disclaimer that it will take a few days before any changes I've
>made will take effect. The first thing I do when I create an account
>(I only have a few) is to go in and change the marketing preferences
>so I won't get a mailbox full of crap I don't want.
>
>Invariably I will find a few topics of crap mail drifting into my mail
>box a few weeks later. Perhaps Yahoo has a deal with their
>advertisers that they'll at least leak a few pieces of junk mail in
>most of the free accounts.

I hope you know that yahoo copies and records everything you write and
do on thier site, I.P., everything