Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Need help with IE security

Need help with IE security

mark.borzillo@rexam.com

This may not be the right group, but can someone help or direct me to
where I can find out how to filter someone's access to only the sites I
choose? thanks in advance, Mark

Martin Spencer-Ford

> This may not be the right group, but can someone help or direct me to
> where I can find out how to filter someone's access to only the sites I
> choose? thanks in advance, Mark

sounds more like a firewall question to me - or even a decent router.

HTH

Martin Spencer-Ford
(TpwUK)

Donnie

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> This may not be the right group, but can someone help or direct me to
> where I can find out how to filter someone's access to only the sites I
> choose? thanks in advance, Mark

###############################
No, I believe in freedom.
donnie.

Winged

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This may not be the right group, but can someone help or direct me to
> where I can find out how to filter someone's access to only the sites I
> choose? thanks in advance, Mark

Yes, very simple. Use a firewall, block all communications. Then
create another rule(s) to allow communications only to the addresses you
specify. Move that rule above the block all rule. Communications will
only occur to those site(s) you have allowed.
Winged

mark.borzillo@rexam.com

Winged,
TX. We have a server based firewall. I guess what you're saying is I
need to develop a policy at that level? I'm not familiar with the rules
you're talking about.
Mark

mark.borzillo@rexam.com

you must not have a real job!

mark.borzillo@rexam.com

you must not have a real job!

Martin Spencer-Ford

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Winged,
> TX. We have a server based firewall. I guess what you're saying is I
> need to develop a policy at that level? I'm not familiar with the rules
> you're talking about.
> Mark

Depending on the firewall, all you would realistically set is a filter
to deny the TLD's, then you can add the limited sites you want in the
allow filter.

Most filters work on wildcards susch as *.com *.net *.biz *.info *.co.uk
etc etc to block the TLD's by type, then you would explicitly allow full
sites or specific pages with for eg. in allow
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/* would allow anything associated with bbc news.

HTH
Martin Spencer-Ford
(TpwUK)