Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Overview of WhenU's Software, Practices and Policies

Overview of WhenU's Software, Practices and Policies

Brad Harrison from WhenU

Everyone,

I am the Head of Strategic Partnerships and Distribution at WhenU. I
wanted to take a moment and provide a link to a new page which we
posted today. This page contains the most up-to-date and accurate
information about the transformation that has occurred at WhenU over
the last 12 months.

Please take a look at: http://www.whenu.com/overview_of_practices.html

I appreciate any constructive input or feedback. WhenU remains
committed to enabling consumers to enjoy ad-supported content and
applications while not compromising their privacy, PC performance or
overall consumer experience.

Please feel free to send comments to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Jim Watt

On 14 Nov 2005 17:36:47 -0800, "Brad Harrison from WhenU"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Everyone,

<snip>

>I appreciate any constructive input or feedback.

Anyone who advertises their goods and services by
spamming newsgroups are either stupid or scum.

>Please feel free to send comments to (E-Mail Removed)

yawn.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

YoKenny

(E-Mail Removed)_way typed:
> On 14 Nov 2005 17:36:47 -0800, "Brad Harrison from WhenU"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Everyone,

> <snip>
>> I appreciate any constructive input or feedback.

> Anyone who advertises their goods and services by
> spamming newsgroups are either stupid or scum.

They are both stupid AND scum!
--
Keep your security software up to date by reading the announcements at
Calendar of Updates http://www.dozleng.com/updates/calendar.html

Gremlin

Brad Harrison from WhenU wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I am the Head of Strategic Partnerships and Distribution at WhenU. I
> wanted to take a moment and provide a link to a new page which we
> posted today. This page contains the most up-to-date and accurate
> information about the transformation that has occurred at WhenU over
> the last 12 months.
>
> Please take a look at: http://www.whenu.com/overview_of_practices.html
>
> I appreciate any constructive input or feedback. WhenU remains
> committed to enabling consumers to enjoy ad-supported content and
> applications while not compromising their privacy, PC performance or
> overall consumer experience.

enjoy ad-supported content? You mean, the annoying popups your crummy
software generates? How about the system instability your browser
hijacking does on older win9x oses. Did you get that fixed?

Joe Moore

"Brad Harrison from WhenU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Everyone,
>
>I am the Head of Strategic Partnerships and Distribution at WhenU. I
>wanted to take a moment and provide a link to a new page which we
>posted today. This page contains the most up-to-date and accurate
>information about the transformation that has occurred at WhenU over
>the last 12 months.
>
>Please take a look at: http://www.whenu.com/overview_of_practices.html
>
>I appreciate any constructive input or feedback. WhenU remains
>committed to enabling consumers to enjoy ad-supported content and
>applications while not compromising their privacy, PC performance or
>overall consumer experience.
>
>Please feel free to send comments to (E-Mail Removed)

WhenU sued to prevent an anti-spyware law on the basis of "freedom of
speech. Unless you can persuade me by posting in this newsgroup that
WhenU no longer believes that it's right to speak is more important
than my right to control my own computer, I remain unconvinced that
WhenU is no longer scum.

joemooreaterolsdotcom

GEO Me@home.here

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:50:52 -0500, "YoKenny" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Brad Harrison from WhenU"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Everyone,

>> <snip>
>>> I appreciate any constructive input or feedback.

>> Anyone who advertises their goods and services by
>> spamming newsgroups are either stupid or scum.

>They are both stupid AND scum!

>Keep your security software up to date by reading the announcements at
>Calendar of Updates http://www.dozleng.com/updates/calendar.html

Mainly stupid. It never said what was the service (if any) being
advertised, and I don't care to find out.

Geo

Jim Watt

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:59:27 GMT, Joe Moore <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I remain unconvinced that WhenU is no longer scum.

So do I, so why reproduce their advertising copy ?
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Joe Moore

Jim Watt <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:59:27 GMT, Joe Moore <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>> I remain unconvinced that WhenU is no longer scum.

>So do I, so why reproduce their advertising copy ?

Because this discussion is on topic for this group
and I always quote posts to which I'm responding.
If this guy believes that his company has morphed from
sleazy to saintly, I would love for him demonstrate
that in this very public forum.

For instance, since he is claiming that his company is no
longer behaving in the way it did before his arrival, will
his company accept responsibility for the damages and removal
costs his company imposed on unsuspecting users before his arrival.

I'm getting tired of these companies making business plans out of
trespass and burglary and then reinventing themselves after they're
caught.

If companies are going to claim to deserve the same rights as people
(like freedom of speech), they should be held to the same
responsibilities as people (like paying for past crimes before a
second chance is granted).

Why not discuss such issues here?

joemooreaterolsdotcom

Jim Watt

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:28:09 GMT, Joe Moore <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Because this discussion is on topic for this group
>and I always quote posts to which I'm responding.

Its better to trim, we have all read it and you are only
giving the spammer more publicity and coverage.

Discuss it all you like, but be part of the solution not
the problem and don't pollute news servers with
unnecessary duplication.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Joe Moore

Jim Watt <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:28:09 GMT, Joe Moore <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Because this discussion is on topic for this group
>>and I always quote posts to which I'm responding.

>Its better to trim, we have all read it and you are only
>giving the spammer more publicity and coverage.

I guess we disagree as to whether an on topic post is spam.
I was responding to the entire post. And when the original post
has aged off the servers, those who read mine can still tell
what I was responding to. As far as coverage goes, if they've
reformed, it's news to me and this is a newsgroup.

>Discuss it all you like, but be part of the solution not
>the problem and don't pollute news servers with
>unnecessary duplication.

Do you think that WhenU announcing to the very groups which
care about such matters a claim to have reformed to be a
problem? I don't. Therefore I don't see my post as part
of a problem.

I think the very existence of WhenU is a problem, but as long
as they choose to continue to exist I think they have just as
much right as non-scum posters to post on topic material.

I wish other spyware perpetrators (behavioral advertisers) would come
here as well and attempt to justify their intrusive behavior. It could
be informative.

I will, however, closely monitor my posts in the future and trim
anything not relevant to my response.

joemooreaterolsdotcom