Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > SOHO VPN appliance?

SOHO VPN appliance?

Marc Dostie

Friends of mine have a small business and would like to
set up a VPN to allow up to five remote users to connect.
They're mainly interested in file sharing and IM/netmeeing.
They are using windows clients.

The enterprise grade appliances on the market are way out
of their league, so I'm wondering if anyone is aware of
an SMB solution that might fit their budget. I suppose if I
could narrow their requirements to just file access, I could
push an SSH solution, but they seem to want a true VPN.

Another option is to take an old PC and install something
like OpenVPN, which is fine, but I'd rather avoid a
science project if I can.

Thanks.

-Marc

Jim Watt

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:56:28 GMT, Marc Dostie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Friends of mine have a small business and would like to
>set up a VPN to allow up to five remote users to connect.
>They're mainly interested in file sharing and IM/netmeeing.
>They are using windows clients.
>
>The enterprise grade appliances on the market are way out
>of their league, so I'm wondering if anyone is aware of
>an SMB solution that might fit their budget. I suppose if I
>could narrow their requirements to just file access, I could
>push an SSH solution, but they seem to want a true VPN.
>
>Another option is to take an old PC and install something
>like OpenVPN, which is fine, but I'd rather avoid a
>science project if I can.

You can buy an inexpensive router with the functionality built in and
save electricity and the aggravation of running a PC

eg:

http://www.cablemodeminfo.com/Linksy...eview.html-ssi

VPN's used to involve expensive cisco stuff - thats over.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com