Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > NPR Sony Interview

NPR Sony Interview

Chuck

From <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4989260>
Most people, I think, donít even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care
about it?

Far Canal

Chuck wrote

> From <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4989260>
> Most people, I think, donít even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care
> about it?

They will learn it's bad. They will learn that Sony are going to have
to pay out for using a Rootkit. It could be another nail in the M$
coffin.

Apparently if autoplay isn't enabled, the Sony albums can't install the
software and the music can be ripped using ordinary software.
If you attempt to play the tracks with M$ Media Player, you get a pop up
telling you it can't play the tracks, you have to install the software
on the cd.
As I was told "So if you're copying such a disc, that's safe. It only
injects its venom in honest folks."

default

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:17:03 -0800, Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>From <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4989260>
>Most people, I think, donít even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care
>about it?

Can someone 'splain this for me? If the M$ operating system is such a
carefully guarded secret, how is it these folks can write code that
integrates with the OS on such a low level?

shplink

Chuck wrote:
> From <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4989260>
> Most people, I think, donít even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care
> about it?

If they're the AOL types, they probably won't, and deserve what they get.
Ignorance is bliss. This whole sony thing, in my opinion, is a great
illustration of corporate arrogance and presumptuousness, preying on the
uninformed. Thank Thor for the hacker (I use the term in its pure
form) community.

--
the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ:
http://shplink.com/misc/FAQ.htm

AnySpyware

What do people want to know about rootkits ? I'll tell you.... ? just
post your questions

MS code isn't well guarded, a) Softice b) disassembling and c) leaked
code..
With any of these and enough effort and innovation, a lot is possible.
Due to the underlying bad design of NT, lots of hacks are possible.
Making API's do things they aren't supposed to do should have been
obvious, the code is all there ready to manipulate its just a matter of
accessing it.

Microsoft make available a lot of code for the DDK's.. if they were
trying to be obscure, it reveals a lot.

Default User

On 11 Nov 2005 08:37:26 -0800, "AnySpyware" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What do people want to know about rootkits ? I'll tell you.... ? just
>post your questions

Ok - what is it that makes you think that the people using this group don't
already know more about rootkits than you do?

ASP Interview Questions ASP Interview Questions reema ASP General 0 08-26-2008 11:57 AM
.NET Interview Question, C#, ASP.NET Interview Questions dotnetuncle Javascript 0 10-30-2007 03:08 PM
Ruby Math (nPr, nCr) Ari Brown Ruby 4 05-26-2007 02:09 PM
Hey, Free Sony PSP. Best thing since sliced bread! It's So easy,and 100% legal! GET A FREE SONY PSP! !!NO CATCH!! Sarah Stewart Computer Support 0 05-08-2005 08:47 AM
Sony TRV230 vs. Sony TRV245 (UK Models) J.B. Digital Photography 3 07-17-2003 01:03 AM

Advertisments