Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Trojan Using Sony DRM Rootkit Spotted

Trojan Using Sony DRM Rootkit Spotted

Imhotep

"The Register reports on the first trojan using Sony's DRM rootkit. A newly
discovered variant of the Breplibot trojan makes use of the way Sony's
rootkit masks files whose filenames begin with '$sys$'. This means that any
files renamed this way by the trojan are effectively invisible to the
average user. The malware is distributed via an email supposedly from a
reputable business magazing requesting that the businessperson verify
his/her attached 'picture' to be used for an upcoming issue. Once the
payload is executed, the trojan then installs an IRC backdoor on affected
Windows systems."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...ny_drm_trojan/

Imhotep

Hairy One Kenobi

"Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "The Register reports on the first trojan using Sony's DRM rootkit. A

newly
> discovered variant of the Breplibot trojan makes use of the way Sony's
> rootkit masks files whose filenames begin with '$sys$'. This means that

any
> files renamed this way by the trojan are effectively invisible to the
> average user. The malware is distributed via an email supposedly from a
> reputable business magazing requesting that the businessperson verify
> his/her attached 'picture' to be used for an upcoming issue. Once the
> payload is executed, the trojan then installs an IRC backdoor on affected
> Windows systems."
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...ny_drm_trojan/

Good call, but did you see:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...ssword_hashes/

El Reg is /always/ worth checking out, assuming that you either have
something close to a British sense of humour, or possibly a
cynical/jaundiced view of the Industry.

Not associated with the site, you understand!

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Imhotep

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

> "Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "The Register reports on the first trojan using Sony's DRM rootkit. A

> newly
>> discovered variant of the Breplibot trojan makes use of the way Sony's
>> rootkit masks files whose filenames begin with '$sys$'. This means that

> any
>> files renamed this way by the trojan are effectively invisible to the
>> average user. The malware is distributed via an email supposedly from a
>> reputable business magazing requesting that the businessperson verify
>> his/her attached 'picture' to be used for an upcoming issue. Once the
>> payload is executed, the trojan then installs an IRC backdoor on affected
>> Windows systems."
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...ny_drm_trojan/

> Good call, but did you see:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...ssword_hashes/

Good article...very good.

> El Reg is /always/ worth checking out, assuming that you either have
> something close to a British sense of humour, or possibly a
> cynical/jaundiced view of the Industry.

My God, do you realize we have agreed on two topics in two days? What is
wrong with us?

By the way, I am half French half English (strange mix eh?). Maybe that is
why I like the Reg???