Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Computer monitoring software

Computer monitoring software

nemo_outis

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

> From: "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

>| I would really like to know if you are talking out of experience or
>| you are just _preaching_?
>| Do you really have any idea of what is it like dealing with a teenage
>| daughter nowadays? On the top of that, a father deals also with
>| bills, wife, boss, customers, training courses, etc.etc.
>|
>| Trust and control must go parallel anywhere, anytime. You are the
>| fool one if you do not control your children, but only trust them.
>|
>| Nick
>|

> That's why I said in the beginning... "...should be locking down the
> system and blocking what you don't want them
> to be doing." Prevention is better than cure. Trust is one thing but
> a minor is a minor and one has to have levels of control. This could
> be using software such as NetNanny or using a NT or Unix OS access
> controls and permissions.

Aside from the reprehenisble nature of spying, a man who comes to a
newsgroup to find out how to do it is a fool, a fool many times over. I
positively guarantee that any teenager with even a hint of moxie can end-
run the old man in a dozen ways. And, in the process he will learn to
scorn both the old man's shabby values, based as they are on mistrust and
suspicion, and his just-as-shabby and inadequate skills.

But then again maybe it's just as well a teenager find out as early as
possible what a petty little man with a shrivelled soul that sort of father
is.

Regards,

Donnie

"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Greetings all. I was looking around on the newsgroups for info about
> computer monitoring software. This seemed the best one to start with.
>
> I'm a father of one teenaged daughter, and another teeneager-to-be (not
> too soon, thank the Gods!) My wife and I can't be over her shoulder
> all the time, but we want to know EVERYTHING that goes on on that
> computer. Any suggestions for good computer monitoring software? I
> prefer one that can monitor email, IMs, downloads (i.e. P2P), the
> works. What are the pros and cons of each program?
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> Greg

###############################
You would be a lot better off if you taught her how to be streetwise, that
is if you are streetwise yourself. Then you wouldn't have to be over her
shoulder.
donnie.

Donnie

> what the hell you having a go at me for? Geez, give someone a bit of
> help and you get this kind of crap thrown at you. What the hell do YOU
> know about me or my kids or anything else about me come to that.

############################
He's telling you the way it is and he is right. He doesn't need to know your
children or you because it's clear what's happening. Teach you children how
not to get suckered buy pimps and scam artists and I might as well throw in
politicians because they are just as bad.
donnie

Nick

> From: "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> | I would really like to know if you are talking out of experience or you

are
> | just _preaching_?
> | Do you really have any idea of what is it like dealing with a teenage
> | daughter nowadays? On the top of that, a father deals also with bills,

wife,
> | boss, customers, training courses, etc.etc.
> |
> | Trust and control must go parallel anywhere, anytime. You are the fool

one
> | if you do not control your children, but only trust them.
> |
> | Nick
> |

> That's why I said in the beginning... "...should be locking down the

system and blocking
> what you don't want them
> to be doing." Prevention is better than cure. Trust is one thing but a

minor is a minor
> and one has to have levels of control. This could be using software such

as NetNanny or
> using a NT or Unix OS access controls and permissions.

I totally agree, Mr. Dave. Give you children what they need, not what they
want!
A professional network administrator is supposed to give only minimum rights
and permissions

Nick

Nick

> Control teenagers? Gimme a break! What's with this pernicious mania to
> control other people's lives - is it some uniquely USian perversion or
> has it spread more broadly? Have we sunk so low that we now speak not
> only of spying on our children but of being their jailers or perhaps
> their puppetmasters?
>
> My sons are 21 and 18, and they are fine young men whom I am proud to
> know - and not just because they are my children.
>
> I set standards and I enforced them with consequences for breaches, both
> as a father when they were my wards, and now as master of the house in
> which my legally-adult sons reside.
> Yes, I set standards, enforceable standards, but I hope, even more than
> that, I set an example of how people treat each other with trust and
> respect.
>
> The standards were - and are - enforced with consequences for breaches,
> premised as much as possible on the concept of "logical consequences."
> And, of course, there have been times when they had to be applied.

Are you playing with words? You do not control your children, but you set
standards and enforce them with consequences for breaches... What is the
difference? Please, explain to me, because English is my second language

Nick
PS: I am glad you are proud of your sons, but boys and girls are _not
_exactly_the same_.

nemo_outis

"Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsycbf.415434$1i.55647@pd7tw2no:

>> Control teenagers? Gimme a break! What's with this pernicious mania
>> to control other people's lives - is it some uniquely USian
>> perversion or has it spread more broadly? Have we sunk so low that
>> we now speak not only of spying on our children but of being their
>> jailers or perhaps their puppetmasters?
>>
>> My sons are 21 and 18, and they are fine young men whom I am proud to
>> know - and not just because they are my children.
>>
>> I set standards and I enforced them with consequences for breaches,
>> both as a father when they were my wards, and now as master of the
>> house in which my legally-adult sons reside.
>> Yes, I set standards, enforceable standards, but I hope, even more
>> than that, I set an example of how people treat each other with trust
>> and respect.
>>
>> The standards were - and are - enforced with consequences for
>> breaches, premised as much as possible on the concept of "logical
>> consequences." And, of course, there have been times when they had to
>> be applied.

> Are you playing with words? You do not control your children, but you
> set standards and enforce them with consequences for breaches... What
> is the difference? Please, explain to me, because English is my second
> language
>
> Nick
> PS: I am glad you are proud of your sons, but boys and girls are _not
> _exactly_the same_.

Is this thread to be an endless catalog of horrors and prejudices? Is
there no bit of brain-dead manipulative bullshit that will not be trotted
out, including anti-feminist patriarchal control masquerading as paternal
care?

No, boys and girls, men and women, are not identical, but they share a
common humanity. And parenting boys and girls has far more similarities
than differences.

You say English is your second language - no shame in that. But it
seeems you are also unfamiliar with common decency towards your children,
who are not your possessions but independent human beings, and that is a
highly blameworthy fault.

You do not understand the difference between controlling your children
and setting standards for them? You do not understand the difference
between whether it is they or you who make the decisions? You don't
understand the difference between guiding and correcting, and, yes,
sometimes even punishing, and living their lives for them? Then, I'm
sorry, you're far beyond any help I can offer.

Regards,

Nick

"nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> newsycbf.415434$1i.55647@pd7tw2no:
>

> >> Control teenagers? Gimme a break! What's with this pernicious mania
> >> to control other people's lives - is it some uniquely USian
> >> perversion or has it spread more broadly? Have we sunk so low that
> >> we now speak not only of spying on our children but of being their
> >> jailers or perhaps their puppetmasters?
> >>
> >> My sons are 21 and 18, and they are fine young men whom I am proud to
> >> know - and not just because they are my children.
> >>
> >> I set standards and I enforced them with consequences for breaches,
> >> both as a father when they were my wards, and now as master of the
> >> house in which my legally-adult sons reside.
> >> Yes, I set standards, enforceable standards, but I hope, even more
> >> than that, I set an example of how people treat each other with trust
> >> and respect.
> >>
> >> The standards were - and are - enforced with consequences for
> >> breaches, premised as much as possible on the concept of "logical
> >> consequences." And, of course, there have been times when they had to
> >> be applied.

> > Are you playing with words? You do not control your children, but you
> > set standards and enforce them with consequences for breaches... What
> > is the difference? Please, explain to me, because English is my second
> > language
> >
> > Nick
> > PS: I am glad you are proud of your sons, but boys and girls are _not
> > _exactly_the same_.

> Is this thread to be an endless catalog of horrors and prejudices? Is
> there no bit of brain-dead manipulative bullshit that will not be trotted
> out, including anti-feminist patriarchal control masquerading as paternal
> care?
>
> No, boys and girls, men and women, are not identical, but they share a
> common humanity. And parenting boys and girls has far more similarities
> than differences.
>
> You say English is your second language - no shame in that. But it
> seeems you are also unfamiliar with common decency towards your children,
> who are not your possessions but independent human beings, and that is a
> highly blameworthy fault.
>
> You do not understand the difference between controlling your children
> and setting standards for them? You do not understand the difference
> between whether it is they or you who make the decisions? You don't
> understand the difference between guiding and correcting, and, yes,
> sometimes even punishing, and living their lives for them? Then, I'm
> sorry, you're far beyond any help I can offer.
>
> Regards,

My advice to you ?
Next time someone asks for help in this newsgroup, either help him or just
**** off.

nemo_outis

"Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> My advice to you ?
> Next time someone asks for help in this newsgroup, either help him or
> just **** off.

I don't recall asking for advice, but there's no point in being ungrateful
for unsolicited feedback. So let me return the favour and urge you too to
go **** yourself.

Regards,

Jim Watt

As you put it that way, take your advice and **** off.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Martin

Donnie wrote:
>>what the hell you having a go at me for? Geez, give someone a bit of
>>help and you get this kind of crap thrown at you. What the hell do YOU
>>know about me or my kids or anything else about me come to that.

> He's telling you the way it is and he is right. He doesn't need to know your
> children or you because it's clear what's happening.

He didn't even know I /had/ children.

> Teach you children how

and neither did you!

> not to get suckered buy pimps and scam artists and I might as well throw in
> politicians because they are just as bad.
> donnie

You're another one who doesn't know how to follow a thread aren't you!