Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > solutions for storing passwords on a computer

solutions for storing passwords on a computer

matt

If anyone is like me, you have a bunch of usernames for accounts all over
the internet. Is there a way to store those on your computer and encrypt
them, but easily be able to open them for quick viewing?

Thanks!

David H. Lipman

From: "matt" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| If anyone is like me, you have a bunch of usernames for accounts all over
| the internet. Is there a way to store those on your computer and encrypt
| them, but easily be able to open them for quick viewing?
|
| Thanks!

I use an Excel spreadsheet that has the following fields; a Description, a URL, a Username
and a password.

I use a strong password on the Excel file. That is a password using...
10 digits alphanumeric containing

2 Upper case
2 Lowercase
2 Numbers
2 special chars.

You can also store that XLS file in a password protected ZIP file using a strong password
that is different from the Excel password.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Notan

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "matt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> | If anyone is like me, you have a bunch of usernames for accounts all over
> | the internet. Is there a way to store those on your computer and encrypt
> | them, but easily be able to open them for quick viewing?
> |
> | Thanks!
> |

> I use an Excel spreadsheet that has the following fields; a Description, a URL, a Username
> and a password.
>
> I use a strong password on the Excel file. That is a password using...
> 10 digits alphanumeric containing
>
> 2 Upper case
> 2 Lowercase
> 2 Numbers
> 2 special chars.
>
> You can also store that XLS file in a password protected ZIP file using a strong password
> that is different from the Excel password.

Personally, I went with Passwords Plus (http://tinyurl.com/dpfh3),
allowing me to using the same program on, and synchronize with, my Palm.

Notan

Martin

matt wrote:
> If anyone is like me, you have a bunch of usernames for accounts all over
> the internet. Is there a way to store those on your computer and encrypt
> them, but easily be able to open them for quick viewing?
>
> Thanks!

I use Ilium eWallet, the encryption isn't brilliant, but is adequate.
Let's face it, if someone breaks into my house, there are better things
to get away with than a 6 YO PC and trying to hack passwords out of it

Stephen Howard

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:03:52 -0500, "matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If anyone is like me, you have a bunch of usernames for accounts all over
>the internet. Is there a way to store those on your computer and encrypt
>them, but easily be able to open them for quick viewing?
>
>Thanks!

I use Blowfish Advanced CS.

http://www.hotpixel.net/software.html

You can either set it up to prompt for a password every time you want
to view and/or work with an encrypted file, or leave it running in the
system tray to decrypt on the fly once you've entered the password on
first run. Re-encyrpts files once you close them.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

bluemagoo

Howdy,

I use the Password Safe product as recommended by a Mr. Bruce Schneier:

Password Safe
The security of Blowfish in a password database

http://www.schneier.com/passsafe.html

speeder

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:03:52 -0500, "matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If anyone is like me, you have a bunch of usernames for accounts all over
>the internet. Is there a way to store those on your computer and encrypt
>them, but easily be able to open them for quick viewing?
>
>Thanks!

I use PGP and keep the keyring in a thumbdrive and stored safely when
not needed.

Tim

Hi Matt,
You can try Absolute Password Protector http://lastbit.com/app. This
program combines features of cryptography and steganography software
and uses strong 128 bit encryption and digital pictures to hide
documents with important information inside them.

matt wrote:
> If anyone is like me, you have a bunch of usernames for accounts all over
> the internet. Is there a way to store those on your computer and encrypt
> them, but easily be able to open them for quick viewing?
>
> Thanks!

Dave Baker

On 8 Nov 2005 23:54:30 -0800, "Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Matt,
>You can try Absolute Password Protector http://lastbit.com/app.

Or Password Safe.

Dave

fluidly unsure

Dave Baker wrote:
> On 8 Nov 2005 23:54:30 -0800, "Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi Matt,
>> You can try Absolute Password Protector http://lastbit.com/app.

> Or Password Safe.
>
> Dave

I've found Password Depot to be a reliable product and extreamly easier
to use than Password Safe. Not only are the files encrypted (both
Rijndael 256-Bit and Blowfish are available), they wipe the temporary
files, and clear the clip board every so many seconds.

http://www.password-depot.com/ (English)
http://passworddepot.com (German)

The only problem I've seen is that the free version is limited to 20
passwords.

Their professional version only costs $29