Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Sony DRM Rootkit

Sony DRM Rootkit

traveler

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:18:56 +1300, "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> traveler scribbled:

>>> On 4 Nov 2005 15:17:44 -0000, Snake Charmer
>>> Here's the REAL link:
>>> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...itreveal.shtml

>> Oh, and by the way, you posted a dead link ^ they must have shut it
>> down because of all the complaints that it was a root kit, lol

>No it hasn't been shut down and it isn't a rootkit.
>
>It's here:
>http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...tRevealer.html

Thanks for the info, the only thing is that it dosen't look like it
can remove the actual root kit. You can get the F-Secure detector for
free here, in the general technology section:

http://www.privacy.li/forum/

This version will work for free until Jan 1st, 2006
privacy.li link posted for Mr. Bloss and his favorite
puppets of the day.

Ray Vingnutte

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:36:04 +0000
Ray Vingnutte <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 01 Nov 2005 18:44:38 GMT
> "nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
> >
> > Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
> > http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...s-and-digital-
> > rights.html
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> It's made the BBC headlines

And an update

A.Melon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>
traveler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snip

> >> I feel the same way, there is a root kit removal utility in the general
> >> technology section of privacy.li's forums, I just downloaded it, here's
> >> the link if you want it,
> >>
> >> http://www.privacy.li/forum/

> >Here's the REAL link:
> >
> >http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...itreveal.shtml

> Oh, and by the way, you posted a dead link ^ they must have shut it
> down because of all the complaints that it was a root kit, lol

Shut up Adminus, you're not so high and mighty yourself.
noticing a bad link, the *considerate* thing to do would be to
post the correct link:

RootkitRevealer v1.56
Scan your system for rootkit-based malware
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...tRevealer.html

The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header
is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other
than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit www.panta-rhei.dyndns.org
for abuse and hashcash info.

Management

nemo_outis wrote:
> Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
>
> Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
> http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...s-and-digital-
> rights.html
>
> Regards,

I've been following this for a few day - we need to let these money
grubbers know that we won't be buying their CDs, DVDs, Hifis,
electronics & TVs.

Send your protest here:

Sony Music USA
http://www.sonymusic.com/about/feedback.cgi

Sony Music UK
interact@sonybmg@com

Australia
http://www.sonymusic.com.au/misc/contact.do

Lots of Countries worldwide:
http://www.sonybmg.com/internationalsites.html

Tell Sony how you feel!

Charlie.

--
Wymsey Village Drops Sony
www.wymsey.co.uk

Steve Welsh

Ray Vingnutte wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:36:04 +0000
> Ray Vingnutte <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On 01 Nov 2005 18:44:38 GMT
>>"nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Here's a shocker: rootkit installed by Sony!
>>>
>>>Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far
>>>http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...s-and-digital-
>>>rights.html
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>

>>It's made the BBC headlines
>>
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4400148.stm

> And an update

There has to be a way for us to get to these big corporations trying to
impose their wants on us.

Just a thought: if we can find some various items of technological merit
in Sony kit (whatever), if enough of us go into our local Sony retailer,
and propose to buy that piece of kit, and then prevaricate to the tune
of a couple of hours, exploring any alternatives to the particular piece
of Sony kit (well, doesn't the Ghmx-x-100 from xxx do that?)

Then when we have wasted a couple of hours of a sales assistant's time,
tell them EXACTLY why we won't touch Sony with a barge-pole.

Perhaps Sony would get the message when it starts to come back loud and
clear from their retailers.

My 2p worth.

Steve

traveler

On 4 Nov 2005 23:12:04 -0000, A.Melon wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>
> traveler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> snip

>>>Here's the REAL link:
>>>
>>>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...itreveal.shtml

>> Oh, and by the way, you posted a dead link ^ they must have shut it
>> down because of all the complaints that it was a root kit, lol

> Shut up Adminus, you're not so high and mighty yourself.
> noticing a bad link, the *considerate* thing to do would be to
> post the correct link:

I don't have the correct link to what you mention in your post.

Calling me Adminus is a really stupid troll on your part, I think you
probably call anyone who posts something here contrary to your beliefs
one thing or another? Anyway, your a waste of time.

> RootkitRevealer v1.56
> Scan your system for rootkit-based malware
> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...tRevealer.html

> The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header
> is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other
> than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit www.panta-rhei.dyndns.org
> for abuse and hashcash info.

Ray Vingnutte

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 23:50:28 +0000
Steve Welsh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ray Vingnutte wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:36:04 +0000
> > Ray Vingnutte <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>It's made the BBC headlines
> >>
> >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4400148.stm

> > And an update
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4406178.stm
> >

> There has to be a way for us to get to these big corporations trying

> impose their wants on us.
>
> Just a thought: if we can find some various items of technological

merit
> in Sony kit (whatever), if enough of us go into our local Sony

retailer,
> and propose to buy that piece of kit, and then prevaricate to the tune
> of a couple of hours, exploring any alternatives to the particular

piece
> of Sony kit (well, doesn't the Ghmx-x-100 from xxx do that?)
>
> Then when we have wasted a couple of hours of a sales assistant's

time,
> tell them EXACTLY why we won't touch Sony with a barge-pole.
>
> Perhaps Sony would get the message when it starts to come back loud

and
> clear from their retailers.
>
> My 2p worth.
>
> Steve

Yeah, hit them where it hurts most, don't give them your money

Max Burke

> traveler scribbled:

>> Max Burke wrote:

> Oh, and by the way, you posted a dead link ^ they must have shut
> it down because of all the complaints that it was a root kit, lol

>> No it hasn't been shut down and it isn't a rootkit.
>> It's here:
>> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...tRevealer.html

> Thanks for the info, the only thing is that it dosen't look like it
> can remove the actual root kit.

That's why it's called Rootkit *Revealer,* which is understandable given the
damage an 'un-informed' user could do to their OS if they ran it then
deleted everything the scan showed....

Like all software it's not foolproof and is simply a tool to show *possible*
anomolies that might need further investigation.
For example whenever I run it, I get a prefetch entry everytime for cmd.exe
that Rootkit Revealer says is hidden from the Windows API.
It's a false positive for cmd.exe and nothing that I need to be concerned
about.

Found Images

Thrasher Remailer

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

snip

>Calling me Adminus is a really stupid troll on your part, I think you
>probably call anyone who posts something here contrary to your beliefs
>one thing or another? Anyway, your a waste of time.

That's ok, it's better than being a waste of skin.

>> RootkitRevealer v1.56
>> Scan your system for rootkit-based malware
>> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...tRevealer.html

>> The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header
>> is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other
>> than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit www.panta-rhei.dyndns.org
>> for abuse and hashcash info.

traveler

On 5 Nov 2005 08:27:20 -0000, Thrasher Remailer wrote:

> In <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>>Calling me Adminus is a really stupid troll on your part, I think you
>>probably call anyone who posts something here contrary to your beliefs
>>one thing or another? Anyway, your a waste of time.

> That's ok, it's better than being a waste of skin.

Don't be so hard on yourself, they have help for people like you now!