Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > explorer vs firefox

explorer vs firefox

BigDaddyDragon

Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
online?
TIA
Big Daddy Skye

Jim Watt

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 00:15:15 -0600, BigDaddyDragon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
>moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
>alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
>expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
>online?

This group is more concerned with security than the merits of software
although Firefox has a number of security advantages over IE

Its free, get it and try it yourself and see if you like it
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Stephen Howard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
>moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
>alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
>expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
>online?
> TIA
> Big Daddy Skye

I wouldn't worry about it. There are plenty of add-ons available for
Firefox which allow you to work in tandem with IE.
For example, there's an option in Firefox to 'open this page in IE' -
so if a site seems to fail in Firefox you can just click a menu item
and the page will open in IE.

I'd thoroughly recommend using the 'Plain old favorites' ( sic )
extension, which duplicates IE's more functional favourites list in
Firefox.

The biggest difference I've noticed is the speed ( or rather the lack
of it ) with which Firefox opens...but there's even an add-on
available that pre-loads the preliminary code to make loading swifter.

One handy tip is to change the default icon used in the task bar,
which makes for an easier life when both browsers are in use (
otherwise both will use the standard IE icon ).

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#app_icon

Just try it, see how you get along. That's what I did, and now I use
Firefox almost exclusively.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

nemo_outis

BigDaddyDragon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9700E260E1348dragonmoodscomcastne@216.196. 97.136:

> Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I
> reisisted moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it.
> But lately alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What
> diffrences should I expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be
> dependent on what you do online?
> TIA
> Big Daddy Skye

Firefox is superior to IE in most ways, including security. There are very
few sites with "presentation" issues (i.e., which look "funny"). About the
only things that very rarely cause problems are Activex controls (because
they are a proprietary technology - they are also a gigantic security risk
BTW). As another poster pointed out, a Firefox extension (ieview) allows
you to seamlessly open any such pages in IE.

Regards,

Steve Welsh

BigDaddyDragon wrote:
> Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
> moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
> alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
> expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
> online?
> TIA
> Big Daddy Skye

Yes, I agree with other posters - Firefox does load more slowly, but we
know why that is already, because M$ cheats and has most of the code for
Internet Exploder already in memory when you launch it.

They also didn't seem to mention (might have missed it), the single
killer app advantage of Firefox - tabbed browsing.

Hold the Control key down, when you follow a link - it will appear in a
new tab in the same browser window.

Steve

Harri Mellin

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Steve Welsh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> BigDaddyDragon wrote:
> > Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
> > moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
> > alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
> > expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
> > online?
> > TIA
> > Big Daddy Skye

> Yes, I agree with other posters - Firefox does load more slowly, but we
> know why that is already, because M$ cheats and has most of the code for
> Internet Exploder already in memory when you launch it.
>
> They also didn't seem to mention (might have missed it), the single
> killer app advantage of Firefox - tabbed browsing.
>
> Hold the Control key down, when you follow a link - it will appear in a
> new tab in the same browser window.
>
> Steve

don't forget that FF can be tweaked to load faster and load pictures
like IE

Swedish Webcams <http://www.webcams.zap.to>

Winged

nemo_outis wrote:
> BigDaddyDragon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns9700E260E1348dragonmoodscomcastne@216.196. 97.136:
>

>>Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I
>>reisisted moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it.
>>But lately alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What
>>diffrences should I expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be
>>dependent on what you do online?
>> TIA
>> Big Daddy Skye

> Firefox is superior to IE in most ways, including security. There are very
> few sites with "presentation" issues (i.e., which look "funny"). About the
> only things that very rarely cause problems are Activex controls (because
> they are a proprietary technology - they are also a gigantic security risk
> BTW). As another poster pointed out, a Firefox extension (ieview) allows
> you to seamlessly open any such pages in IE.
>
> Regards,

One word of warning on Firefox. While I concur with Nemo on Firefox
assessment, resist the lure of many of the plug-ins. The more outside
crap you add, the higher potential of compromise. While some add-ons
seem cool, some of them degrade the security of the browser. Use
add-ons with caution and care.

Winged

Winged

Steve Welsh wrote:
> BigDaddyDragon wrote:
>
>>Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
>>moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
>>alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
>>expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
>>online?
>> TIA
>> Big Daddy Skye

> Yes, I agree with other posters - Firefox does load more slowly, but we
> know why that is already, because M$ cheats and has most of the code for
> Internet Exploder already in memory when you launch it.
>
> They also didn't seem to mention (might have missed it), the single
> killer app advantage of Firefox - tabbed browsing.
>
> Hold the Control key down, when you follow a link - it will appear in a
> new tab in the same browser window.
>
> Steve

tabs? Tabs have been available in IE for some time in IE via Avant
browser. It is the lack of ActiveX, .Net and similar capabilities I prefer.

Winged

Joris Dobbelsteen

"Winged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:36c73$43681c51$45493f2f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Steve Welsh wrote:

[snip]
> It is the lack of ActiveX, .Net and similar capabilities I prefer.

Don't forget Outlook Web Access in only displayed decently in IE. Firefox it
loads, but I don't have the full set of features.

- Joris

Management

BigDaddyDragon wrote:
> Hi I am Skye and I am Noob.........Ok now with the question. I reisisted
> moving away from IE due to, quite simply, I am used to it. But lately
> alternative browsers have piqued my interest. What diffrences should I
> expect (major or minor). Is a change going to be dependent on what you do
> online?
> TIA
> Big Daddy Skye

I'm a long term user of Firefox and it's predecessors and use it for
all the reasons stated. I agree about the plugins, keep them limited
to what you will actually use.

There is only one good reason to fire up IE and that it is to use
Windows Update!

Anyway it is not an either/or situation, install Firefox and give it
a whirl.

Charlie.

--
Broadcasting to the environs