Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > question about security

question about security

fruno

I am registered with several web forums and recently one of them got hacked.
Since I normally use the same email, user and password combo for many of
these sites, should I reregister with the other ones since one got hacked.
Just wondering this would be over cautious. Thanks in advance for input.

Moe Trin

In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<Lxf9f.40058$(E-Mail Removed)>, fruno wrote:

>I am registered with several web forums and recently one of them got hacked.
>Since I normally use the same email, user and password combo for many of
>these sites, should I reregister with the other ones since one got hacked.

Wonderful. Well, now you know why this is not recommended. Change usernames
and passwords on ALL sites. If the email addresses are not throw-away
like yahoo, replace them immediately as well.

>Just wondering this would be over cautious.

No, this has only been recommended procedure for 20 or 25 years.

Old guy

Jim Watt

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:43:55 GMT, "fruno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am registered with several web forums and recently one of them got hacked.
>Since I normally use the same email, user and password combo for many of
>these sites, should I reregister with the other ones since one got hacked.
>Just wondering this would be over cautious. Thanks in advance for input.

No its a good idea; using the same user id/password on different
systems is not. Using easily guessed passwords is a bad too
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com