Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Load balancing firewalls?

Load balancing firewalls?

Shade

Hi All,

I'm setting up a dual-ISP setup at home (cable modem and ADSL) and am
shopping around a dual-ISP-capable firewall box.

Ideally, I'd like the box to be able to handle:

1) DMZ (at least one zone) because I'll be hooking up a gaming server
off of this router

2) Static and Dynamic NAT

3) Load balancing (combining and treating the two ISPs like a single,
large data pipe both in and out) for those computers not in the DMZ
(that computer is getting a static IP).

4) Web-manageable (not Cisco PIX CLI)

I'm thinking like the Firebox X500 + Fireware Pro or Sonic Wall TZ-170
+SonicOS Upgrade maybe.

I'm open to all ideas; the cheaper, the better.

Thanks,
Curtis

Michael Thompson

Shade bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
alt.computer.security:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm setting up a dual-ISP setup at home (cable modem and ADSL) and am
> shopping around a dual-ISP-capable firewall box.
>
> Ideally, I'd like the box to be able to handle:
>
> 1) DMZ (at least one zone) because I'll be hooking up a gaming server
> off of this router
>
> 2) Static and Dynamic NAT
>
> 3) Load balancing (combining and treating the two ISPs like a single,
> large data pipe both in and out) for those computers not in the DMZ
> (that computer is getting a static IP).
>
> 4) Web-manageable (not Cisco PIX CLI)
>
> I'm thinking like the Firebox X500 + Fireware Pro or Sonic Wall TZ-170
> +SonicOS Upgrade maybe.
>
> I'm open to all ideas; the cheaper, the better.

Linux. BSD