Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Uninstalled anti-trojan s/w still preventing access for basic operations?

Uninstalled anti-trojan s/w still preventing access for basic operations?

chocorama

On my XP Pro system I sign on with Administrator privileges.
Others users have User privilieges.

For some reason the other Users (even new User accounts) can not
do simple operations like delete icons from their desktop or drag
files from their data folder to the desktop.

Could this be due to ANTIHOOK? I installed ANTIHOOK to go with
FILSECLAB but had to remove ANTIHOOK because my PC (Athlon 2000+)
went too slowly. Maybe it didn't uninstall properly?

If it is not due to ANTIHOOk then does anyone have any ideas about
what might be causing my User's access problem? I did installa
trial version of TROJANHUNTER but it never seemed to work properly
so I took that out too.

My problem seems to be some sort of denial. And I would tend to
associate that with some security software.

Strangely, even newly-created User or Admin accounts have the same
problem.

Help please!

Donnie

"chocorama" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On my XP Pro system I sign on with Administrator privileges.
> Others users have User privilieges.
>
> For some reason the other Users (even new User accounts) can not
> do simple operations like delete icons from their desktop or drag
> files from their data folder to the desktop.
>
> Could this be due to ANTIHOOK? I installed ANTIHOOK to go with
> FILSECLAB but had to remove ANTIHOOK because my PC (Athlon 2000+)
> went too slowly. Maybe it didn't uninstall properly?
>
> If it is not due to ANTIHOOk then does anyone have any ideas about
> what might be causing my User's access problem? I did installa
> trial version of TROJANHUNTER but it never seemed to work properly
> so I took that out too.
>
> My problem seems to be some sort of denial. And I would tend to
> associate that with some security software.
>
> Strangely, even newly-created User or Admin accounts have the same
> problem.
>
> Help please!

####################################
Is it a stand alone machine or a network with a server?
donnie

Winged

Donnie wrote:
> "chocorama" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>On my XP Pro system I sign on with Administrator privileges.
>>Others users have User privilieges.
>>
>>For some reason the other Users (even new User accounts) can not
>>do simple operations like delete icons from their desktop or drag
>>files from their data folder to the desktop.
>>
>>Could this be due to ANTIHOOK? I installed ANTIHOOK to go with
>>FILSECLAB but had to remove ANTIHOOK because my PC (Athlon 2000+)
>>went too slowly. Maybe it didn't uninstall properly?
>>
>>If it is not due to ANTIHOOk then does anyone have any ideas about
>>what might be causing my User's access problem? I did installa
>>trial version of TROJANHUNTER but it never seemed to work properly
>>so I took that out too.
>>
>>My problem seems to be some sort of denial. And I would tend to
>>associate that with some security software.
>>
>>Strangely, even newly-created User or Admin accounts have the same
>>problem.
>>
>>Help please!

> ####################################
> Is it a stand alone machine or a network with a server?
> donnie

Sounds like xp home...
Winged

chocorama

On Tue 25 Oct 2005 01:47:24, Donnie wrote:
<news:wgf7f.494919$(E-Mail Removed)>

> "chocorama" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> On my XP Pro system I sign on with Administrator privileges.
>> Others users have User privilieges.
>>
>> For some reason the other Users (even new User accounts) can not
>> do simple operations like delete icons from their desktop or drag
>> files from their data folder to the desktop.
>>
>> Could this be due to ANTIHOOK? I installed ANTIHOOK to go with
>> FILSECLAB but had to remove ANTIHOOK because my PC (Athlon 2000+)
>> went too slowly. Maybe it didn't uninstall properly?
>>
>> If it is not due to ANTIHOOk then does anyone have any ideas about
>> what might be causing my User's access problem? I did installa
>> trial version of TROJANHUNTER but it never seemed to work properly
>> so I took that out too.
>>
>> My problem seems to be some sort of denial. And I would tend to
>> associate that with some security software.
>>
>> Strangely, even newly-created User or Admin accounts have the same
>> problem.
>>
>> Help please!

> ####################################
> Is it a stand alone machine or a network with a server?
> donnie

It's a stand alone machine. Connected to the net via its own cable
modem.

> On Tue 25 Oct 2005 01:47:24, Donnie wrote:
> <news:wgf7f.494919$(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> > "chocorama" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> On my XP Pro system I sign on with Administrator privileges.
> >> Others users have User privilieges.
> >>
> >> For some reason the other Users (even new User accounts) can not
> >> do simple operations like delete icons from their desktop or drag
> >> files from their data folder to the desktop.
> >>
> >> Could this be due to ANTIHOOK? I installed ANTIHOOK to go with
> >> FILSECLAB but had to remove ANTIHOOK because my PC (Athlon 2000+)
> >> went too slowly. Maybe it didn't uninstall properly?
> >>
> >> If it is not due to ANTIHOOk then does anyone have any ideas about
> >> what might be causing my User's access problem? I did installa
> >> trial version of TROJANHUNTER but it never seemed to work properly
> >> so I took that out too.
> >>
> >> My problem seems to be some sort of denial. And I would tend to
> >> associate that with some security software.
> >>
> >> Strangely, even newly-created User or Admin accounts have the same
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> Help please!

> > ####################################
> > Is it a stand alone machine or a network with a server?
> > donnie

> It's a stand alone machine. Connected to the net via its own cable
> modem.

I've run in to some strange permissions problems w/ XP Pro too. I would
check windows firewall, SP2 and DCOM. They all have some type of security
features that have to be configured for certain things to work. I forgot to
ask, are any Norton or Symantec products runnig on the machine? They can
kill anything.
donnie