Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Security Suites?

Security Suites?

Cathy De Viney

I have read lots of reviews on the various "security suites" available, and
all seem to have some good features and some that are not so good. So
rather than go with a "suite" I am interested in choosing a "best"
assortment...with the thoughts of "biggest bang for the lowest buck". I am
hoping that some of the experts here will help me with suggestions or
feedback. I have tried several and here is what I am leaning towards:

ANTIVIRUS
Bitdefender v9.0 Standard (3 years for $55.95)
or
AntiVir (free)

FIREWALL
Outpost Pro v3.0 ($40)

ANTI-SPYWARE/MALWARE
Webroot Spysweeper v4.5(2 years for $30)...already bought this one
and Microsoft Antispyware (free)...seems to run fine alongside Spysweeper

SPAM FILTER
MailWasher (free)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dr_Z2A

All my stuff is free and it works excellently for me. Personally I use
AVG antivirus free edition for my anti virus, Spybot S&D for my anti
spy/adware, and my firewall is built in to my router. Paying for
something is really a waste of money in my opinion because you can get
the same quality for free. Also note that with with anti virus you
really shouldn't think in terms of 'or'. The more anti virus programs
you have the better because some will pick up things that others don't.
Also remember that just having a certain setup of software won't
protect you and that secure personal internet habits are just as
important as security programs.

Jbob

My one input would be on MailWasher. I use it here and it works great
however..........
They made changes to it(the free versions) after v 2.0.28 Beta and didn't
allow the free versions to access more than one account. If you wish to
keep using the free versions I recommend looking for the version mentioned
as opposed to using a more current release. Now if you want to purchase
then by all means try the latest or if you ony have one account to check.

nemo_outis

"Cathy De Viney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I have read lots of reviews on the various "security suites"
> available, and all seem to have some good features and some that are
> not so good. So rather than go with a "suite" I am interested in
> choosing a "best" assortment...with the thoughts of "biggest bang for
> the lowest buck". I am hoping that some of the experts here will help
> me with suggestions or feedback. I have tried several and here is
> what I am leaning towards:
>
> ANTIVIRUS
> Bitdefender v9.0 Standard (3 years for $55.95)
> or
> AntiVir (free)
>
> FIREWALL
> Outpost Pro v3.0 ($40)
>
> ANTI-SPYWARE/MALWARE
> Webroot Spysweeper v4.5(2 years for $30)...already bought this one
> and Microsoft Antispyware (free)...seems to run fine alongside
> Spysweeper
>
> SPAM FILTER
> MailWasher (free)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!

The perfect is the enemy of the good!

The above software is generally excellent and you will not go far wrong
with any combo based on it. But here's my core tip: spend as much - or
more! - time configuring it as you did selecting it! And, while you're
at it, shut down unneccessary services, update your patches, and tune
your router's firewall rules.

With that behind us we can move on to the largely fruitless but
wonderfully entertaining business of preferences in software. While all
your candidates are excellent, I lean towards Kaspersky AV (despite the
recent flap) and Look n Stop as the firewall. I would also add
DiamondCS' Processguard (or something similar) to the mix. MS
Antispyware is excellent (although it pains me to have to admit that MS
does anything right - however, it seems MS does know how to buy
excellence even if it cannot produce it).

As for spam filters, I don't use 'em cause I don't need 'em - I'm rather
careful to whom I give my real email addy and mostly use cotse
throwaways.

Regards,

PS There are a zillion useful small utilities (such as the free erunt
to backup and restore your registry) and the sysinternals collection.
However, one can wind up spending more hours fiddling with a system than
accomplishing anything useful with it - rather like endlessly tuning the
three carburetors on an old Austin-Healy

Winged

Jbob wrote:
> My one input would be on MailWasher. I use it here and it works great
> however..........
> They made changes to it(the free versions) after v 2.0.28 Beta and didn't
> allow the free versions to access more than one account. If you wish to
> keep using the free versions I recommend looking for the version mentioned
> as opposed to using a more current release. Now if you want to purchase
> then by all means try the latest or if you ony have one account to check.

If you are interested, there is a free network mailwasher filter version
released to the open source community that does multiple mailboxes very
well.

While I no longer use mailwasher, I am well aware of it's utility in
high Spam environments. You might want to look at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mailwasher/

It is released under the GPL and has the following project description:
MailWasher Server is a highly accurate server-side spam filtering
package with a polished, well-integrated web interface and built-in
quarantine management facilities. Fully supports Windows Server/Exchange
Server, Linux and Solaris.

* Database Environment: Berkeley/Sleepycat/Gdbm (DBM)
* Development Status: 3 - Alpha, 4 - Beta
* Intended Audience: Developers, System Administrators
* License: GNU General Public License (GPL), Mozilla Public License
1.1 (MPL 1.1)
* Operating System: 32-bit MS Windows (NT/2000/XP), All POSIX
(Linux/BSD/UNIX-like OSes), Solaris, Microsoft Windows Server 2003
* Programming Language: C++
* Topic: Filters
* Translations: English
* User Interface: Web-based

Winged

Winged

nemo_outis wrote:
> "Cathy De Viney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>

>>I have read lots of reviews on the various "security suites"
>>available, and all seem to have some good features and some that are
>>not so good. So rather than go with a "suite" I am interested in
>>choosing a "best" assortment...with the thoughts of "biggest bang for
>>the lowest buck". I am hoping that some of the experts here will help
>>me with suggestions or feedback. I have tried several and here is
>>what I am leaning towards:
>>
>>ANTIVIRUS
>>Bitdefender v9.0 Standard (3 years for $55.95)
>>or
>>AntiVir (free)
>>
>>FIREWALL
>>Outpost Pro v3.0 ($40)
>>
>>ANTI-SPYWARE/MALWARE
>>Webroot Spysweeper v4.5(2 years for $30)...already bought this one
>>and Microsoft Antispyware (free)...seems to run fine alongside
>>Spysweeper
>>
>>SPAM FILTER
>>MailWasher (free)
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help!

> The perfect is the enemy of the good!
>
> The above software is generally excellent and you will not go far wrong
> with any combo based on it. But here's my core tip: spend as much - or
> more! - time configuring it as you did selecting it! And, while you're
> at it, shut down unneccessary services, update your patches, and tune
> your router's firewall rules.
>
> With that behind us we can move on to the largely fruitless but
> wonderfully entertaining business of preferences in software. While all
> your candidates are excellent, I lean towards Kaspersky AV (despite the
> recent flap) and Look n Stop as the firewall. I would also add
> DiamondCS' Processguard (or something similar) to the mix. MS
> Antispyware is excellent (although it pains me to have to admit that MS
> does anything right - however, it seems MS does know how to buy
> excellence even if it cannot produce it).
>
> As for spam filters, I don't use 'em cause I don't need 'em - I'm rather
> careful to whom I give my real email addy and mostly use cotse
> throwaways.
>
> Regards,
>

> PS There are a zillion useful small utilities (such as the free erunt
> to backup and restore your registry) and the sysinternals collection.
> However, one can wind up spending more hours fiddling with a system than
> accomplishing anything useful with it - rather like endlessly tuning the
> three carburetors on an old Austin-Healy

Thanks for the erunt link. It is a much more momma friendly way to back
up the registry. I hadn't seen this before.

Winged

nemo_outis

Winged <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3c3bb$43582f35$18d6d959$(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks for the erunt link. It is a much more momma friendly way to
> back up the registry. I hadn't seen this before.
>

> Winged

Yep, erunt is very handy. On a related note, Resplendent Registrar v4.0
has just been released. It is, in a word: magnificent! It does everything
you could ever wish regarding registries.

Regards,

Jbob

Looks interesting but I wonder how a server version will work on a home
system? I also noticed that Nick Bolton is one of the project admins. He
was the original writer of Mailwasher but sold it to another party.

Notan

Winged wrote:

> Jbob wrote:
> > My one input would be on MailWasher. I use it here and it works great
> > however..........
> > They made changes to it(the free versions) after v 2.0.28 Beta and didn't
> > allow the free versions to access more than one account. If you wish to
> > keep using the free versions I recommend looking for the version mentioned
> > as opposed to using a more current release. Now if you want to purchase
> > then by all means try the latest or if you ony have one account to check.
> >

> If you are interested, there is a free network mailwasher filter version
> released to the open source community that does multiple mailboxes very
> well.
>
> While I no longer use mailwasher, I am well aware of it's utility in
> high Spam environments. You might want to look at:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mailwasher/
>
> It is released under the GPL and has the following project description:
> MailWasher Server is a highly accurate server-side spam filtering
> package with a polished, well-integrated web interface and built-in
> quarantine management facilities. Fully supports Windows Server/Exchange
> Server, Linux and Solaris.
>
> * Database Environment: Berkeley/Sleepycat/Gdbm (DBM)
> * Development Status: 3 - Alpha, 4 - Beta
> * Intended Audience: Developers, System Administrators
> * License: GNU General Public License (GPL), Mozilla Public License
> 1.1 (MPL 1.1)
> * Operating System: 32-bit MS Windows (NT/2000/XP), All POSIX
> (Linux/BSD/UNIX-like OSes), Solaris, Microsoft Windows Server 2003
> * Programming Language: C++
> * Topic: Filters
> * Translations: English
> * User Interface: Web-based
>
> Winged

Have a look at http://www.firetrust.com/firetrustpro.html.

Notan

Robsten

Skribent 2005-10-20, Cathy De Viney :
> I have read lots of reviews on the various "security suites"
> available, and
> all seem to have some good features and some that are not so good.
> So
> rather than go with a "suite" I am interested in choosing a "best"
> assortment...with the thoughts of "biggest bang for the lowest buck".
> I am
> hoping that some of the experts here will help me with suggestions or
> feedback. I have tried several and here is what I am leaning
> towards:

> ANTIVIRUS
> Bitdefender v9.0 Standard (3 years for $55.95)
> or
> AntiVir (free)

> FIREWALL
> Outpost Pro v3.0 ($40)

> ANTI-SPYWARE/MALWARE
> Webroot Spysweeper v4.5(2 years for $30)...already bought this one
> and Microsoft Antispyware (free)...seems to run fine alongside
> Spysweeper

> SPAM FILTER
> MailWasher (free)

> Thanks in advance for any help!

I use Antivir along with Sygates firewall, I also use Antidot as a
secund opinion. I prefer Pestpatrol, I don't like Microsofts
sntispyware, I also use Spyboot's Seartch & Destroy.

http://www.free-av.com/

http://www.vintage-solutions.com/Eng...per/index.html

http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

http://web.comhem.se/~u85329080/