Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Location of an IPS

Location of an IPS

Doug Fox

Where should I installed a network-based Intrusion Prevention System (IPS)?
Is it in front of a firewall or behind it?

The IPS is a Tipping Point Unity 50.

Any comments are appreciated.

Hairy One Kenobi

"Doug Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Where should I installed a network-based Intrusion Prevention System

(IPS)?
> Is it in front of a firewall or behind it?
>
> The IPS is a Tipping Point Unity 50.
>
> Any comments are appreciated.

Place it where you'd put any other hardware firewall?

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

nicolas denis

Well it depends of the purpose.

If you want to increase the security in your lan : behind it.
Why ? All the traffic that your firewall blocks doesn't have to be
analysed since it can't get inside your lan and be dangerous.

If you want to monitor all the traffic to see if someone is trying to
break into your network : in front of it.

I think that the first choice is the best one. Moreover, if you really
want to monitor all the traffic, those equipments generate a lot of log
files and also a lot of false alarms : analysing this data could take
you hours and you have to be well trained to understand it and catch
malicious activities.

It's generaly more relevant to install it behind your firewall.