Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Dell supporting non windows PCs

Dell supporting non windows PCs

Winged

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> "Management" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4346ea80$0$49017$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Imhotep wrote:
>>
>>>About time. Personally, I am sick and tired of paying the MS 'tax'...
>>>

> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...=19&l=en&s=dhs
>
>>>Imhotep

>>Before anyone does too much in the way of celebrating it might be
>>education to take read of this.
>>
>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10...l_linux_tough/
>>
>>Poor old Dell trying to face two ways!

> Interesting.. although a little cheeky of the "prospect" to request
> something that has never been offered. As though I don't believe for one
> minute that someone would buy 150 PCs on the off-chance.. ;o)
>
> Strikes me as a little contrived, so I used a little non-Californian
> know-how... not searching for a fabled system code, but by clicking on the
> bloody obvious.
>
> 1. Click on dell.co.uk
> 2. Click on "small business"
> 3. Click on "servers"
> 4. Click on "value servers"
> 5. Click on first random server offered by Dell (after all, if they're the
> latest satrapy of the Evil Empire, then they're going to do their best to
> sell MS product, yes?)
> 6. "Customise & Buy"
> 7. "SCSI" (it was first in the list). Growl. When I was looking after EMEA
> website development proggers back in '97, you wouldn't have had such a
> pointless step in the buying process. You'd have been offered it in the
> config pages.
> 8. Select which version of Windows, SuSE, or Red Hat you desire.
>
> Eff. You. Dee.
>
> Spells "FUD".
>
> Oh course, the *really* annoying thing is that such simplistic - and /so/
> easily debunked - bullshit actually goes against the FUDer's very intention.
> I'd welcome a more balanced market - even if "all" if does is lead to a chop
> in Windows' license costs.
>
> Took me around 40 seconds to disprove (I'm a slow typist, clicking on one
> screen while typing this post on t'other). There *are* actual proper
> arguments against Windows. Once the ideologues dump the religion and use
> facts, they might get somewhere. Although I'd hold out for
> massively-parallel multi-cell optical processing on a nano scale as
> something that'll come first. Perhaps even in my lifetime ;o)

Dunno, just make scripts run faster....I am already having a time
keeping up...Then there is that user who claims to know nothing that
will bring in that lovely joke and share it spreading that Trojan in
parallel...Though probably no worse than an Active Directory virus in a
winX domain.

Winged

Hairy One Kenobi

"Winged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:33646$434da6c8$18d6d959$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

<snip>

> > Took me around 40 seconds to disprove (I'm a slow typist, clicking on

one
> > screen while typing this post on t'other). There *are* actual proper
> > arguments against Windows. Once the ideologues dump the religion and use
> > facts, they might get somewhere. Although I'd hold out for
> > massively-parallel multi-cell optical processing on a nano scale as
> > something that'll come first. Perhaps even in my lifetime ;o)
> >

> Dunno, just make scripts run faster....I am already having a time
> keeping up...Then there is that user who claims to know nothing that
> will bring in that lovely joke and share it spreading that Trojan in
> parallel...Though probably no worse than an Active Directory virus in a
> winX domain.

Funnily enough, I heard a comment on the radio just last week about Moore's
Law - something along the lines of software running 6 times faster than at
PARC in 1974, but on hardware that runs 6000 times faster - i.e. that there
was a factor of 1000 loss in efficiency.

No idea whatsoever about the provenance of the figures - first time that
I've hard someone try to put a figure on it.

I'd guess that they were talking about the WIMP stuff that was eventually
released in Apple's Lisa, compared to something like XP's Fisher Price
interface (I missed the actual programme)

H1K

Steve Welsh

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> XP's Fisher Price interface
> H1K

Love it

Add to that Windoze 2003 Server, various Windoze networking tools,
Windoze security, etc, etc and what have you got?

A Fisher Price Enterprise IT system

I remain totally gob-smacked how many Enterprises are falling for it...

Steve

Management

Steve Welsh wrote:
<SNIP>

> A Fisher Price Enterprise IT system
>
> I remain totally gob-smacked how many Enterprises are falling for it...
>
> Steve

Maybe less are falling:

Charlie.

--
Broadcasting to the environs
www.radiowymsey.org

Steve Welsh

Management wrote:
> Steve Welsh wrote:
> <SNIP>
>

>> A Fisher Price Enterprise IT system
>>
>> I remain totally gob-smacked how many Enterprises are falling for it...
>>
>> Steve

> Maybe less are falling:
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...00510131525041
>

> Charlie.