Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Vista Licensing Speeds Linux Move

Vista Licensing Speeds Linux Move

Imhotep

Stephen Samuel writes "Australia's NSW Office of State Revenue is speeding
it's transition to a Linux desktop due in part to a lackluster interest in
Microsoft's attempt to lock them into the Software Assurance Program,
reports LinuxWorld. The agency's CIO and manager of client services both
confirmed they would start scoping for a move to a Linux desktop within six
months. Manager Pravash Babhoota seemed satisfied with a Linux move in
their back office, citing Linux costs as being just over 1/6 the projected
cost of a Windows upgrade, while processing doubled."

"The NSW Office of State Revenue (OSR) is taking a tough stance against
Microsoft's decision to make an enterprise edition of Windows Vista only
available to companies that have signed on to its Software Assurance
program. The tax collection agency has declared it would rather switch
desktop operating systems than lock itself into Microsoft's licensing
regime."

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl...25221&from=rss

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...732244&eid=-50

Imhotep

Dazz

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 02:02:59 -0400, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Stephen Samuel writes "Australia's NSW Office of State Revenue is speeding
>it's transition to a Linux desktop due in part to a lackluster interest in
>Microsoft's attempt to lock them into the Software Assurance Program,
>reports LinuxWorld. The agency's CIO and manager of client services both
>confirmed they would start scoping for a move to a Linux desktop within six
>months. Manager Pravash Babhoota seemed satisfied with a Linux move in
>their back office, citing Linux costs as being just over 1/6 the projected
>cost of a Windows upgrade, while processing doubled."

I wonder if M$ will now need to "fund" another Market Research company
to "tweek" the figures to show how it in fact cost the OSR a zillion
times more than they are actually letting on to do the move? ;-P

>"The NSW Office of State Revenue (OSR) is taking a tough stance against
>Microsoft's decision to make an enterprise edition of Windows Vista only
>available to companies that have signed on to its Software Assurance
>program. The tax collection agency has declared it would rather switch
>desktop operating systems than lock itself into Microsoft's licensing
>regime."

Now if only I convince the Gov entity I work for to do the same thing.

>http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl...25221&from=rss
>
>http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...732244&eid=-50
>
>Imhotep

Dazz

Imhotep

Dazz wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 02:02:59 -0400, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Stephen Samuel writes "Australia's NSW Office of State Revenue is speeding
>>it's transition to a Linux desktop due in part to a lackluster interest in
>>Microsoft's attempt to lock them into the Software Assurance Program,
>>reports LinuxWorld. The agency's CIO and manager of client services both
>>confirmed they would start scoping for a move to a Linux desktop within
>>six months. Manager Pravash Babhoota seemed satisfied with a Linux move in
>>their back office, citing Linux costs as being just over 1/6 the projected
>>cost of a Windows upgrade, while processing doubled."

> I wonder if M$ will now need to "fund" another Market Research company
> to "tweek" the figures to show how it in fact cost the OSR a zillion
> times more than they are actually letting on to do the move? ;-P

Ya, I know. This used to **** me off. They shot themselves with the
"research" in "Get the Facts" campaign. All this did is bring to light how
far M$ is willing to go by lying to their users....

>>"The NSW Office of State Revenue (OSR) is taking a tough stance against
>>Microsoft's decision to make an enterprise edition of Windows Vista only
>>available to companies that have signed on to its Software Assurance
>>program. The tax collection agency has declared it would rather switch
>>desktop operating systems than lock itself into Microsoft's licensing
>>regime."

> Now if only I convince the Gov entity I work for to do the same thing.

Well, I used to work for the Gov and I installed many Red Hat systems
including DNS/DCHP, internal firewalls and emails systems. Also, look at
Massachusetts is doing. They just gave M$ the boot for their office
software...You definitely have some "bullets" to use in your arguments.

>>http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl...25221&from=rss
>>
>>http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...732244&eid=-50
>>
>>Imhotep

> Dazz

Imhotep

Management

Dazz wrote:
<SNIP>

> I wonder if M$ will now need to "fund" another Market Research company
> to "tweek" the figures to show how it in fact cost the OSR a zillion
> times more than they are actually letting on to do the move? ;-P

<SNIP>

I wonder if M$ have so lost touch that they see themselves as
unassailable. They certainly don't seem to see the storm clouds
gathering as more and more nations, authorities & individuals say
'enough is enough' whilst moving to open source solutions.
Microsoft's attitude to the Open XML document standard is a fine
example of monolithic suicide - by the time they bring Office 12 to
market there may not be many people wanting it. Ditto Vista, Visa,
Vhatever. And those two products are what feeds M$. trouble is M$
have for some time been updating for the $ not for innovation and
people are, at long last, waking up.

There's little argument for people to upgrade from XP, or Office 97
for that matter! We spoke about this at home this evening where we
have a small network of three machines running Windows XP. Thing is,
we already use Thunderbird, Firefox & Open Office - we might as
well be running Suse 9.

Charlie.

--
Broadcasting to the environs