Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Plug-in USB hardware device captures keystrokes on Mac and PC USB keyboards.

Plug-in USB hardware device captures keystrokes on Mac and PC USB keyboards.

Theo

Plug-in KeyGhost USB Keylogger (hardware device) records all keystrokes
typed on any PC and Mac USB keyboards. (PS/2 and Large Dinn models
also available)

Easiest way to capture keystrokes on any Mac or PC. Record all
keystrokes typed on USB keyboards now.
Installs in under 5 seconds, just plug it in.

Can record on one computer and retrieve on another.
Keystrokes stored in internal flash memory, no batteries required.

No software install required to record or retrieve keystrokes.
KeyGhost USB Keylogger contains built-in access menu that works in any
text editor on PC or Mac.

http://www.keyghost.com/USB-Keylogger.htm

KeyGhost is again leading the development of computer monitoring
hardware. This is the worlds first and only USB hardware keylogger!

Please email me with any questions or comments.

Anyone interested in reviewing or testing the latest KeyGhost hardware
keylogger devices, please send me an email with 'KeyGhost' in the
subject line.

http://www.keyghost.com

Cheers,
Theo

Hairy One Kenobi

"Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

<snip>

> KeyGhost is again leading the development of computer monitoring
> hardware. This is the worlds first and only USB hardware keylogger!

Out of interest, was this the one first shown on BBC television in '03, or
something different?

Is it the storage version, the Wi-Fi enabled device, or the one relying on
an installed driver to copy stuff to a network share?

Oh. Silly me: you said "only".

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Theo

> Out of interest, was this the one first shown on BBC television in '03, or
> something different?
>
> Is it the storage version, the Wi-Fi enabled device, or the one relying on
> an installed driver to copy stuff to a network share?
>
> Oh. Silly me: you said "only".

Dear Hairy Dne Kenobi

The version shown on TV in 03 was a PS/2 version (different protocol).
This version that we have announced is the world's first and only USB
Hardware Keylogger. This version works on Mac and PCs with USB
keyboards attached.

We released it in beta at the beginning of this year. It has now passed
our extensive testing procedures and we have chosen to make it
available.

http://www.keyghost.com/

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Kind regards,
Theo

Jim Watt

On 1 Oct 2005 19:36:15 -0700, "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

What a stupid idea, its hardly a covert device.

Having alerted us about what to look for, there is no need for
future product anouncements to this newsgroup - or spam as
some might say.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Theo

P.S. I hope my email was not construed as spam by readers of the
computer.security group. It contains information (warning) about our
new device that others may wish to acknowledge.

It is also important to note that the device can be installed inside
USB keyboards. This seems to be the most common oversight.

Take care.

Kind regards,
Theo

Jim Watt

On 2 Oct 2005 16:12:30 -0700, "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>P.S. I hope my email was not construed as spam by readers of the
>computer.security group.

Perhaps the subtlety is lost

1. it was not an email
2. its advertising junk

complaint issued to Google IRO your account.

Goodbye.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Hairy One Kenobi

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 1 Oct 2005 19:36:15 -0700, "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

> What a stupid idea, its hardly a covert device.
>
> Having alerted us about what to look for, there is no need for
> future product anouncements to this newsgroup - or spam as
> some might say.

Actually, Jim, it's not that simple.

The BBC news report I saw used a USB device (Theo, take note) shoved around
the back of a machine. When dealing with somewhere like a trading floor,
with all machines shoved under the desk, you get pretty much limitless
access to what's being typed on a particular box.

Being USB, it's something that a cleaner can insert in full view of CCTV
without averting suspicion.

I suspect the new version is based on the relatively new MicroChip USB PIC
library. One of the early demos was a serial keyboard reader; shouldn't take
a genius to combine the two.

The trick is to either close the USB facility altogether (often impractical)
or simply kill the main ports in the BIOS. Any active USB can, of course, be
potentially also used for a diskey type of device.

H1K

Jim Watt

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:12:02 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi"
<abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On 1 Oct 2005 19:36:15 -0700, "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

>> What a stupid idea, its hardly a covert device.
>>
>> Having alerted us about what to look for, there is no need for
>> future product anouncements to this newsgroup - or spam as
>> some might say.

>Actually, Jim, it's not that simple.
>
>The BBC news report I saw used a USB device (Theo, take note) shoved around
>the back of a machine. When dealing with somewhere like a trading floor,
>with all machines shoved under the desk, you get pretty much limitless
>access to what's being typed on a particular box.
>
>Being USB, it's something that a cleaner can insert in full view of CCTV
>without averting suspicion.
>
>I suspect the new version is based on the relatively new MicroChip USB PIC
>library. One of the early demos was a serial keyboard reader; shouldn't take
>a genius to combine the two.
>
>The trick is to either close the USB facility altogether (often impractical)
>or simply kill the main ports in the BIOS. Any active USB can, of course, be
>potentially also used for a diskey type of device.
>
>H1K

The promotional pictures on their website (which, in fairness they
say may not be totally representative) show a device daisy chained
between a keyboard and the USB port. Its pretty obvious and I
do spend time under peoples desks looking at the backs of
machines. Although there are a good number of USB mice,
USB keyboards are unusual at present.

On a security note, I see HSBC use a screen based keyboard you
click on to enter online banking passwords, which would defeat
all keyloggers.

Also neatly built into MS windows is an onscreen keyboard

osk.exe

which can be used when the keyboard is not available, which
also would bypass a hardware monitor.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Hairy One Kenobi

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:12:02 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi"
> <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

<snip>

> >I suspect the new version is based on the relatively new MicroChip USB

PIC
> >library. One of the early demos was a serial keyboard reader; shouldn't

take
> >a genius to combine the two.

> The promotional pictures on their website (which, in fairness they
> say may not be totally representative) show a device daisy chained
> between a keyboard and the USB port. Its pretty obvious and I
> do spend time under peoples desks looking at the backs of
> machines. Although there are a good number of USB mice,
> USB keyboards are unusual at present.

Interesting - I didn't go as far as looking at the site.

For a "world-beater", it sounds pretty old-hat, compared with what was
happening a few years ago.. and precisely like a primitive sniffer using the
PIC libraries.

Bearing in mind the teeny amount of RAM available, was a comment made about
how to actually use this as an exploit (e.g. add code to handle comms, or a
pick 'em up EEPROM)?

Can't be too sophisticated, if it can't automatically pick-up a keyboard
from a USB hub...

H1K

Theo

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> The BBC news report I saw used a USB device (Theo, take note) shoved around
> the back of a machine.

If the reporter mentioned a USB device he or she was using his or her
poetic licence. Same re: comments about WiFi etc.

Kind regards,
Theo