Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Plug-in USB hardware device captures keystrokes on Mac and PC USB keyboards.

Plug-in USB hardware device captures keystrokes on Mac and PC USB keyboards.

Hairy One Kenobi

"Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> > The BBC news report I saw used a USB device (Theo, take note) shoved

around
> > the back of a machine.

> If the reporter mentioned a USB device he or she was using his or her
> poetic licence. Same re: comments about WiFi etc.

Erm.. more than license, I suspect - it was shown on camera, and basically
looked like any other dated Diskey (i.e. on the large side)

H1K

Theo

> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> > Erm.. more than license, I suspect - it was shown on camera, and basically
>> looked like any other dated Diskey (i.e. on the large side)

Anything shown on camera would have been a flash drive or some kind of
adaptor (USB to PS/2?).

Here is a link to a recent BBC news report which includes a picture of
a hand plugging a printer cable into a Parallel port with the caption
'Hardware keyloggers plug straight into a computer'.

Kind regards,
Theo

Hairy One Kenobi

"Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> > Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> > > Erm.. more than license, I suspect - it was shown on camera, and

basically
> >> looked like any other dated Diskey (i.e. on the large side)

> Anything shown on camera would have been a flash drive or some kind of
> adaptor (USB to PS/2?).
>
> Here is a link to a recent BBC news report which includes a picture of
> a hand plugging a printer cable into a Parallel port with the caption
> 'Hardware keyloggers plug straight into a computer'.

Stock photo shot (and, as you point out, inaccurate).

The *television* report showed a Diskey-type device.

If there was bamboozling going on (not exactly an outside chance in the
Computer industry ;o), then it was from the consultancy firm to the BBC. The
talking-head was very specific about a device that used USB at the PC end -
"under the desk, where someone would be unlikely to notice". (Can't promise
that the wording is 100% accurate, but the meaning is clear)

If you're thinking prior art, then don't worry too much - the US Patent
office is notoriously inefficient when it comes to searches. (Although, that
said, I can only think of an assortment of Industry news reports at
"OneClick" that support that sweeping assertation, rather than a specific
set of examples. Best treat that as "Grade C hearsay")

H1K

Theo

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> Stock photo shot (and, as you point out, inaccurate).
>
> The *television* report showed a Diskey-type device.

And it probably was a Diskey device. Without having seen any solid
evidence of these device(s) back in 2003 I will make the assumption
that the report that you mention was inaccurate and misleading.

> If there was bamboozling going on (not exactly an outside chance in the
> Computer industry ;o), then it was from the consultancy firm to the BBC. The
> talking-head was very specific about a device that used USB at the PC end -
> "under the desk, where someone would be unlikely to notice". (Can't promise
> that the wording is 100% accurate, but the meaning is clear)

I have seen many similar errors in technology reports. E.g. KeyGhost
has been referred to as a software keylogger in countless reputable
newspapers and magazines. )

> If you're thinking prior art, then don't worry too much - the US Patent
> office is notoriously inefficient when it comes to searches. (Although, that
> said, I can only think of an assortment of Industry news reports at
> "OneClick" that support that sweeping assertation, rather than a specific
> set of examples. Best treat that as "Grade C hearsay")

I agree,... we can treat the notion of a pre-existing USB hardware
keylogger as hearsay and move on.

Kind regards,
Theo

Emma Emma is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Plug-in KeyGhost USB Keylogger (hardware device) records all keystrokes
typed on any PC and Mac USB keyboards. (PS/2 and Large Dinn models
also available)
would you please tell me if it can capture the screenshot on the Mac Leopard?
I get this keylogger Mac from this site parental control software, but I wouldn't like to pay too much for such a piece of keylogger for Mac software.

Last edited by Emma; 05-30-2011 at 03:40 AM..

Scophie Scophie is offline

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> The BBC news report I saw used a USB device (Theo, take note) shoved around
> the back of a machine.

If the reporter mentioned a USB device he or she was using his or her
poetic licence. Same re: comments about WiFi etc.

Kind regards,
Theo
Maybe something that will not be detected by anti-virus and will not show on task manager.