Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > VoIP wiretapping rules to be considered

VoIP wiretapping rules to be considered

Imhotep

"Broadband providers and internet phone services have until spring 2007 to
follow a new and complex set of rules designed to make it easier for police
to seek wiretaps, federal regulators have ruled."

http://management.silicon.com/govern...9152744,00.htm

Im

Jim Watt

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:03:31 -0400, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Broadband providers and internet phone services have until spring 2007 to
>follow a new and complex set of rules designed to make it easier for police
>to seek wiretaps, federal regulators have ruled."
>
>http://management.silicon.com/govern...9152744,00.htm

Thats the downside of living in the evil empire.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Imhotep

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:03:31 -0400, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>"Broadband providers and internet phone services have until spring 2007 to
>>follow a new and complex set of rules designed to make it easier for
>>police to seek wiretaps, federal regulators have ruled."
>>
>>http://management.silicon.com/govern...9152744,00.htm

> Thats the downside of living in the evil empire.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

I agree. We, in the United States, need change in the Congress and the White
House....Our Congressman view themselves as Kings and royalty. They have
forgotten what their job is supposed to be....

Im

nemo_outis

Jim Watt <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:03:31 -0400, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>"Broadband providers and internet phone services have until spring
>>2007 to follow a new and complex set of rules designed to make it
>>easier for police to seek wiretaps, federal regulators have ruled."
>>
>>http://management.silicon.com/govern...9152744,00.htm

> Thats the downside of living in the evil empire.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Whether or not any laws get passed I automatically assume the LE will
eavesdrop.

However, the main attraction to me of VOIP is that I can play all sorts of
routing games to frustrate traffic analysis, and also add strong encryption
at both ends. I don't depend on the provider to give me security - his is
just some of the raw material from which I cobble together my personal
solution. Hence my interest in SIPish stuff like Asterisk.

Regards,

GregRo

wrote:

>"Broadband providers and internet phone services have until spring 2007 to
>follow a new and complex set of rules designed to make it easier for police
>to seek wiretaps, federal regulators have ruled."
>
>http://management.silicon.com/govern...9152744,00.htm
>
>Im

It will be challenged by the eff and other groups.

Greg Ro

Jim Watt

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:21:42 -0400, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Jim Watt wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:03:31 -0400, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Broadband providers and internet phone services have until spring 2007 to
>>>follow a new and complex set of rules designed to make it easier for
>>>police to seek wiretaps, federal regulators have ruled."
>>>
>>>http://management.silicon.com/govern...9152744,00.htm

>> Thats the downside of living in the evil empire.
>> --
>> Jim Watt
>> http://www.gibnet.com

>I agree. We, in the United States, need change in the Congress and the White
>House....Our Congressman view themselves as Kings and royalty. They have
>forgotten what their job is supposed to be....

For a change we can agree.

And my Government has no plans or capability to snoop on data traffic.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Jim Watt

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:21:42 -0400, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

<snip>

Meantime in Europe

http://www.out-law.com/page-6164

"The European Parliament rejected plans from the UK for an EU-wide
data retention regime yesterday. But it lacks the power to stop them
becoming law so instead it is hoping to divert support towards an
alternative proposal from the Commission."

The alternative would require telecommunications companies to retain
data for one year and would compensate the companies for the costs
incurred. The four member states supporting the Framework Decision
want data retained for a longer period of time - up to three years.

Neither proposal asks to store the content of the communications.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Imhotep

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:21:42 -0400, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Jim Watt wrote:

>>> Thats the downside of living in the evil empire.
>>> --
>>> Jim Watt
>>> http://www.gibnet.com

>>I agree. We, in the United States, need change in the Congress and the
>>White House....Our Congressman view themselves as Kings and royalty. They
>>have forgotten what their job is supposed to be....

> For a change we can agree.

LOLs

> And my Government has no plans or capability to snoop on data traffic.

That is good. As I said in another post, Americans *need* to start voting.
We have too many bad politicians here....

> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Im

Imhotep

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:21:42 -0400, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Meantime in Europe
>
> http://www.out-law.com/page-6164
>
> "The European Parliament rejected plans from the UK for an EU-wide
> data retention regime yesterday. But it lacks the power to stop them
> becoming law so instead it is hoping to divert support towards an
> alternative proposal from the Commission."
>
> The alternative would require telecommunications companies to retain
> data for one year and would compensate the companies for the costs
> incurred. The four member states supporting the Framework Decision
> want data retained for a longer period of time - up to three years.
>
> Neither proposal asks to store the content of the communications.
>
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Read my other post (FBI...). It seems the FBI here wants to control the
software on our (US) pcs. Wante we can install and what we can't. If this
happends I will move out of this country. Things are getting way out of
hand....

P.S. Jim, I am from English decent. Maybe I will move back to the UK and
live next door to you

Just kidding!
Im

Jim Watt

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:04:11 -0400, Imhotep <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>That is good. As I said in another post, Americans *need* to start voting.
>We have too many bad politicians here....

Very true. Traditionally we have a high percentage of people who
turn out and vote and no suspicious hardware security issues.

http://www.conservatives.gi/election.htm
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com