Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Disposal Question

Disposal Question

Hushup

Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons - these
ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world wide.
For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.
Any Ideas ?

Thanks
John

Notan

Hushup wrote:

> Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons - these
> ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world wide.
> For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
> ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.
> Any Ideas ?

Check your local Yellow Pages. There are companies that specialize in
the destruction of confidential information. (Sorry, I can't point you
in a more specific direction, as it'll be a cold day in Hell, when all
Yellow Pages have consistent headings! <g>)

You might also check your local hospitals, as they're obligated, by law,
to dispose of certain paperwork in a secure manner.

Good Luck!

Notan

Hushup

Thank You
It just seems such a small amount with just one ribbon to dispose of... but
I shall give it a try.
Thanks
John
"Notan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hushup wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons -
>> these
>> ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world
>> wide.
>> For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
>> ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.
>> Any Ideas ?

> Check your local Yellow Pages. There are companies that specialize in
> the destruction of confidential information. (Sorry, I can't point you
> in a more specific direction, as it'll be a cold day in Hell, when all
> Yellow Pages have consistent headings! <g>)
>
> You might also check your local hospitals, as they're obligated, by law,
> to dispose of certain paperwork in a secure manner.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Notan

Nowhere

Eat it....

news:dhbhpq$jfn$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

example@example.com

Hushup said the following on 9/27/2005 7:59 AM:
> Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons - these
> ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world wide.
> For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
> ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.
> Any Ideas ?
>
> Thanks
> John

Burn it or bury it.

David H. Lipman

From: "Hushup" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons - these
| ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world wide.
| For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
| ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.
| Any Ideas ?
|
| Thanks
| John

Burn it in the fireplace.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

nemo_outis

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

> From: "Hushup" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>| Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons
>| - these ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been
>| faxed world wide. For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would
>| be a disaster. The ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is
>| out of the question. Any Ideas ?
>|
>| Thanks
>| John
>|

> Burn it in the fireplace.

Burning stuff in the fireplace works marvellously well (as long as you
shrug off piffles like nasty chemicals being released in your vicinity).

But to prevent you becoming a sadder and poorer, albeit wiser, man, let me
point out that regular burning of, say, large quantities of shredded paper
does considerably shorten the life of the chimney liner (from high heat and
rapid thermal shock).

But, then again, everything, including privacy, has its price and a
fireplace is a wonderful "security adjunct." (The paranoid will run a fair
amount of their everyday garbage through it as well to obliterate any info
leakage. Tell the neighbours to stuff their complaints about the smell

Regards,

PS Now if I could only buy a crematorium (or perhaps a lime kiln would
do...)

Unruh

>From: "Hushup" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>| Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons - these
>| ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world wide.
>| For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
>| ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.

Why is burning out of the question?

Buy a special high security safe, and store the used ribbons in the safe.

Notan

Unruh wrote:

> >From: "Hushup" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> >| Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons - these
> >| ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world wide.
> >| For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
> >| ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.

> Why is burning out of the question?
>
> Buy a special high security safe, and store the used ribbons in the safe.

I can hear myself trying to justify *that* expense to Mrs. Notan.
"Well, dear, while I know you object to me keeping stuff that I
*might* use someday, and takes up a lot of room, I'd like to spend
a bunch of money on a high security safe, so I can keep stuff that
I'll *never* use"

Yeah, right! <g>

Notan

Hushup

In the middle of London - This is not possible.
John
> Hushup said the following on 9/27/2005 7:59 AM:
>> Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons -
>> these
>> ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world
>> wide.
>> For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
>> ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.
>> Any Ideas ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> John
>>

> Burn it or bury it.

PC Disposal, Software Disposal Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 0 10-29-2009 02:53 AM
DOM memory disposal question Lee ASP General 1 01-13-2006 03:55 PM
DataSet Disposal TCORDON ASP .Net 3 03-23-2005 04:22 AM
Proper database connection disposal methods?? Roger Twomey ASP .Net 3 02-18-2005 10:07 PM
DirectoryEntry Disposal Test cameron ASP .Net 3 04-14-2004 09:55 AM

Advertisments