Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Name that worm--plan looks to cut through chaos

Name that worm--plan looks to cut through chaos

Imhotep

"Zotob.E, Tpbot-A, Rbot.CBQ and IRCbot.worm: all names given to a single
worm that wreaked havoc in Windows 2000 systems last month. Among the
plethora of identifiers, perhaps the most useful--CME-540--didn't make an
impact."

"But that's about to change. CME-540 was the tag attached to the worm by the
Common Malware Enumeration initiative, which is just emerging from its test
phase. Next month, the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team plans to
officially take the wraps off the effort, meant to reduce the confusion
caused by the different names security companies give worms, viruses and
other pests."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/120438

Imhotep

David H. Lipman

From: "Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| "Zotob.E, Tpbot-A, Rbot.CBQ and IRCbot.worm: all names given to a single
| worm that wreaked havoc in Windows 2000 systems last month. Among the
| plethora of identifiers, perhaps the most useful--CME-540--didn't make an
| impact."
|
| "But that's about to change. CME-540 was the tag attached to the worm by the
| Common Malware Enumeration initiative, which is just emerging from its test
| phase. Next month, the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team plans to
| officially take the wraps off the effort, meant to reduce the confusion
| caused by the different names security companies give worms, viruses and
| other pests."
|
| http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/120438
|
| Imhotep

It is interesting to note, I could find no data at the US CERT web site on "Common Malware
Enumeration" except pointing to MITRE -- http://www.cve.mitre.org/cme/

MITRE shows CME has been around since at least June 8, 2005.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm