Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Enough is enough...

Enough is enough...

Imhotep

Today, I read a story about a company that lost customer information. They
were sued, as they should have been for violating the California Disclosure
Law. The feeble minded incompetent judge, San Francisco Superior Court
Judge Richard Kramer, denied the law suit because he did not see an
emergency or threat of irreparable injury.

Hum...so, I guess you can only sue in his courtroom when their is a death?

Here is the problem I have. If a company holds my data, then they *should*
be held accountable if they can not secure *their* *own* *machines*.
Penalizing the credit card holder is like saying "your a fool for using a
credit card; your a fool for trusting corporations". Maybe. How can
companies make billions of dollars on us but not be held accountable for
*their* *own* *screwups*?

To make matters worse, a bad credit rating can prevent you from attaining
some jobs. I worked for the US Gov in a highly secure facility and you
could lose your job, that's right your job, if you credit should become
bad. Their point of view is that you *might* be tempted to do something you
should not. The job I have now, also requires the utmost in security, could
result in termination should your credit receive a bad rating. Some
insurance companies charge you more if your credit is bad (yes, that is
true). In short, you life can take a nose dive fast should ID theft hit
you. So what are our fearless congressmen doing. NOTHING! On top of it Big
Business gets a free pass....BULLSHIT!

Anyway, here is the story...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09..._theft_secret/

"Visa and MasterCard argued that because their relationship is with the
issuing banks, not the customers, they don't have to notify the victims."

"The Californian disclosure law, passed in January 2003 and a template for
disclosure legislation in other states, says that consumers should be
notified in the case of ID theft, although it's riddled with loopholes."

"The effects of online security fears are already being felt. Analyst firm
Gartner Group has revised its 2005 ecommerce prediction downwards this year
after 42 per cent of consumers said they were spending less online because
of security fears. Some 14 per cent have stopped paying bills online
altogether."

Bit Twister

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 18:10:45 -0400, Imhotep wrote:
> Today, I read a story about a company that lost customer information. They
> were sued, as they should have been for violating the California Disclosure
> Law. The feeble minded incompetent judge, San Francisco Superior Court
> Judge Richard Kramer, denied the law suit because he did not see an
> emergency or threat of irreparable injury.
>
> Hum...so, I guess you can only sue in his courtroom when their is a death?

Saw that article. I wish all of his creditcard/personal information
would be posted to the internet so he may have the experience of
identify theft.

Imhotep

Bit Twister wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 18:10:45 -0400, Imhotep wrote:
>> Today, I read a story about a company that lost customer information.
>> They were sued, as they should have been for violating the California
>> Disclosure Law. The feeble minded incompetent judge, San Francisco
>> Superior Court Judge Richard Kramer, denied the law suit because he did
>> not see an emergency or threat of irreparable injury.
>>
>> Hum...so, I guess you can only sue in his courtroom when their is a
>> death?

> Saw that article. I wish all of his creditcard/personal information
> would be posted to the internet so he may have the experience of
> identify theft.

Judge Jackass? Yes, I think he should go through the experience.....

Imhotep

David H. Lipman

From: "Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Judge Jackass? Yes, I think he should go through the experience.....
|
| Imhotep

While two wrongs don't make a right....

I think this is the exception to the rule.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Hairy One Kenobi

"Bit Twister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 18:10:45 -0400, Imhotep wrote:
> > Today, I read a story about a company that lost customer information.

They
> > were sued, as they should have been for violating the California

Disclosure
> > Law. The feeble minded incompetent judge, San Francisco Superior Court
> > Judge Richard Kramer, denied the law suit because he did not see an
> > emergency or threat of irreparable injury.
> >
> > Hum...so, I guess you can only sue in his courtroom when their is a

death?

> Saw that article. I wish all of his creditcard/personal information
> would be posted to the internet so he may have the experience of
> identify theft.

The judge appears to be acting as a complete arse, *but* that's with me not
knowing the exact wording of the law that was referred to ("immediate threat
of irreparable damage" may be a technical phrase)

That said, I can see the Visa/MasterCard arguments - it's the issuer's
responsibility to notify their customer (as happened a couple of years ago,
with Amex - both responsible entity and issuer of their cards)

The *really* annoying thing is - what's the betting that this didn't make
the non-techie news in any form? And that compromised cards are still out
there?

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Imhotep

David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> | Judge Jackass? Yes, I think he should go through the experience.....
> |
> | Imhotep
>
> While two wrongs don't make a right....
>
> I think this is the exception to the rule.

Perhaps. Although it is never good to wish ill upon some else, you must
admit that sometimes people need to learn by falling on their own
faces....and maybe Judge Jackass needs a "good old fashioned" education.

Im

optikl

Imhotep wrote:

> Here is the problem I have. If a company holds my data, then they *should*
> be held accountable if they can not secure *their* *own* *machines*.
> Penalizing the credit card holder is like saying "your a fool for using a
> credit card; your a fool for trusting corporations". Maybe. How can
> companies make billions of dollars on us but not be held accountable for
> *their* *own* *screwups*?

Yes, they *should* be held accountable, but guess what? As a consumer,
it's your responsibility to make sure you understand the laws of your
state to make sure if there is a mishap, you have recourse.

David H. Lipman

From: "Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Perhaps. Although it is never good to wish ill upon some else, you must
| admit that sometimes people need to learn by falling on their own
| faces....and maybe Judge Jackass needs a "good old fashioned" education.
|
| Im

Reminds me of the story of the King who dressed as a commoner and walked amongst the common
folk to see how the common folk actually live to be a truly just King.

--

optikl wrote:

> Imhotep wrote:
>

>> Here is the problem I have. If a company holds my data, then they
>> *should* be held accountable if they can not secure *their* *own*
>> *machines*. Penalizing the credit card holder is like saying "your a fool
>> for using a credit card; your a fool for trusting corporations". Maybe.
>> How can companies make billions of dollars on us but not be held
>> accountable for *their* *own* *screwups*?
>>

> Yes, they *should* be held accountable, but guess what? As a consumer,
> it's your responsibility to make sure you understand the laws of your
> state to make sure if there is a mishap, you have recourse.

Well, the kinda is the point. A company *lost* the consumers data but, since
they are a company, their is *no* recourse. Only consumers left to fix
their lives ruined by a greedy company/companies....

Unfortunately, in the US companies get away with too much. Hence the title.

Im

Imhotep

David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "Imhotep" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> | Perhaps. Although it is never good to wish ill upon some else, you must
> | admit that sometimes people need to learn by falling on their own
> | faces....and maybe Judge Jackass needs a "good old fashioned" education.
> |
> | Im
>
> Reminds me of the story of the King who dressed as a commoner and walked
> amongst the common folk to see how the common folk actually live to be a
> truly just King.

Not sure if you are an American or not but, our "leaders" (US) think of
themselves as kings. Good analogy anyway.

Im