Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > On the lighter side...

On the lighter side...

Ken Ward

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:23:13 -0500, Winged <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Imhotep wrote:
>> This article has nothing to do with computer security but it was so bazaar
>> that it made me laugh, so if you are having a bad day maybe this article is
>> just the thing you need...
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/...electricity_dc
>>
>> Im

>sheez can you imagine him walking by your computer....I think very
>security related...great article..I had to go to to Reuters to see if
>information faked..It wasn't!
>
>http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...TRICITY-DC.XML
>
>Winged

Still think its a furphy - wouldn't be the first time a news service
has carried a fake story. All feeds seem to be exactly the same,
indicating a single news source, which is strange. The story was not
featured on TV here to my knowledge, & I couldn't find it in the local
newspapers. The only national broadcaster to feature it on their web
site say they could not contact anyone to confirm the story.

Warrnambool is in Western Victoria. The story is bylined Sydney NSW &
quotes Sydney professors - not as one would expect Melbourne &
Melbourne professors.

We have been having a lot of rain for a number of weeks. Warrnambool
is coastal; it would have rained the night before & again that
afternoon - not weather conducive to static electricity.

It may be true, but it doesn't feel right.

Winged

Ken Ward wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:23:13 -0500, Winged <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Imhotep wrote:
>>
>>>This article has nothing to do with computer security but it was so bazaar
>>>that it made me laugh, so if you are having a bad day maybe this article is
>>>just the thing you need...
>>>
>>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/...electricity_dc
>>>
>>>Im

>>sheez can you imagine him walking by your computer....I think very
>>security related...great article..I had to go to to Reuters to see if
>>information faked..It wasn't!
>>
>>http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...TRICITY-DC.XML
>>
>>Winged

> Still think its a furphy - wouldn't be the first time a news service
> has carried a fake story. All feeds seem to be exactly the same,
> indicating a single news source, which is strange. The story was not
> featured on TV here to my knowledge, & I couldn't find it in the local
> newspapers. The only national broadcaster to feature it on their web
> site say they could not contact anyone to confirm the story.
>
> Warrnambool is in Western Victoria. The story is bylined Sydney NSW &
> quotes Sydney professors - not as one would expect Melbourne &
> Melbourne professors.
>
> We have been having a lot of rain for a number of weeks. Warrnambool
> is coastal; it would have rained the night before & again that
> afternoon - not weather conducive to static electricity.
>
> It may be true, but it doesn't feel right.

no it doesn't, otherwise i want the patent on that jacket...Static
electricity generated by a jacket potentially could generate lots of
voltage...but amperage to required to transfer through shoes and smoking
carpet is not the construct of static electricity..but it was a fun
article..
Winged

Moe Trin

In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Ken Ward wrote:

>It seems to me the smell associated with this story is not ozone.

See

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.urban
Subject: Power-dressing man leaves trail of destruction

Thread was up to 13 articles as of 1300Z on Mon Sep 19. Thread started
on 17 Sep 2005 06:03:04 GMT. They tend to agree with you.
http://groups.google.com has the thread if you don't subscribe to the
newsgroup.

Old guy

Jim Watt

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:50:59 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(Moe Trin) wrote:

>In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
><(E-Mail Removed)>, Ken Ward wrote:
>
>>It seems to me the smell associated with this story is not ozone.

>See
>
> Newsgroups: alt.folklore.urban
> Subject: Power-dressing man leaves trail of destruction
>
>Thread was up to 13 articles as of 1300Z on Mon Sep 19. Thread started
>on 17 Sep 2005 06:03:04 GMT. They tend to agree with you.
>http://groups.google.com has the thread if you don't subscribe to the
>newsgroup.

It seems to have spread everywhere, for some technical comments

http://www.advancedphysics.org/viewthread.php?tid=2328

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Hairy One Kenobi

"Winged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:81b15$432d94af$18d6dabf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Imhotep wrote:
> > This article has nothing to do with computer security but it was so

bazaar
> > that it made me laugh, so if you are having a bad day maybe this article

is
> > just the thing you need...
> >
> > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/...electricity_dc
> >
> > Im

> sheez can you imagine him walking by your computer....I think very
> security related...great article..I had to go to to Reuters to see if
> information faked..It wasn't!

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...TRICITY-DC.XML

The dead-body-discovered-under-bed-by-German-tourists story used to roll in
about every six months or so. Someone at a local paper has a slow news day,
picks up the story from the Reuters ODD pages. Reuters stringer picks it up
from the local paper, submits it to Reuters... and so on.

The "naked woman on inflatable teeth rescued by naked man on inflatable
lobster" (punchline by coast/lifeguard: "happens all the time") story only
went out the once (that I can remember), but still turns up in print every
year or two.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

On the lighter side Roedy Green Java 3 02-22-2006 09:16 PM
On a lighter note.... RObErT_RaTh The Lounge 11 10-03-2005 08:16 AM
Computer Lighter & Cup Holder @ A True Review Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-03-2005 05:08 PM
On a lighter subject -(joke) Brian H Computer Support 5 10-04-2003 07:46 AM
On a lighter note... Bryan Computer Support 11 09-22-2003 06:13 AM

Advertisments